Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Will Jackson Commits To UConn!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
We all love Chuck, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He averaged 2.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, on 15.4 mpg. Both Brimah and Nolan average more points, and nearly as many rebounds, on fewer minutes per game.

Even if you took the end of the year, Chuck averaged 3.3 ppg, 2 rpg, and 2.7 fpg on 16 mpg the last 14 games. I'm less convinced he would "easily be the starting center."

People are way too focused on stats for centers. Chuck was a terrific defender. You couldn't move him out of the way and couldn't shoot over him. He was a centerpiece to that team. He would be a terrific add to this year's team. We talk about what Wolf would have added, Chuck by the end of his senior year was significantly better than Wolf.

Reaction Score
People are way too focused on stats for centers. Chuck was a terrific defender. You couldn't move him out of the way and couldn't shoot over him. He was a centerpiece to that team. He would be a terrific add to this year's team. We talk about what Wolf would have added, Chuck by the end of his senior year was significantly better than Wolf.
He played barely any more than our guys now. I know stats tell only half the story, and Chuck had some decent games, but he was a foul machine most of the year. He averaged 6.75 fouls per 40 minutes, even in his best games. That's roughly the fouls per 40 minutes of Brimah (6.9) and Nolan (6.94). So it's not like he was able to stay on the floor any more than they have. And he was a senior.

I'm not trying to trash the kid, but we tend to have blue-colored glasses of the players on our championship teams, and think others are chumps. Nolan or Brimah statistically have given us more than Chuck did--especially at this point in the season. Could they have guarded Williams? No. But what mostly guarded Williams was the bench. He had 20 points in 26 minutes, and sat a large part of the first half. That, though, was probably the game Chuck came most in handy (played 24 minutes).

Reaction Score
Forget about the past, the question is this, do we hold a scholarship for a big man because Brimah is not likely to be with us 2015 if he explodes next year?

Reaction Score
you're right, me not sucking Ollie's d over every single move makes me an idiot.

Brimah is exciting but a liability on both ends and can't stay on the floor. Nolan has had 2 good games this season. Lubin is what, 6'6" and a 3 star?...

I'm sure glad you're not a football fan. Good job sharting all over the thread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It seems like KOs faith went a long way with this kid. I'm not religious myself but I like how KO appeals to a wide variety of guys for a wide variety of reasons....

The fact that KO's a decent man is one of the first things you pick up from him. His comfort with his faith is going to appeal to others who have a strong faith background. I think we are going to be very happy with the type of kid that he appeals to.

Reaction Score
I'm sure glad you're not a football fan. Good job sharting all over the thread.
I'm at every football game as well, don't want to give away my seat location because apparently the more you're willing to shell out on tickets, the less you know about the sport. I'm a UConn fan through and through, and shouldn't have expressed my doubts on a thread welcoming a kid to the school. Doubt's still there though.

Reaction Score
Ok, some of us want a Big Guy & some of us want another Top Guard... nothing wrong with any of this. The recruiting period is far from done for the 2015 incoming class. We don't know how many scholarships UConn will have open at this point... Hopefully some combination of Bigs & talented Guards! Guards have checked in,nBig Guys next up! Stop hating on each other, ok?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just nice to see the positive mojo recruiting wise again on this board, for the next twenty minutes at least. After losing out on whoever that kid was that went to whatever that school was, and then Abu to whatever that dumpster fire was, and then getting collectively Kasongoed it's nice to confirm what 95% of us knew all along - Ollie can recruit.

caw

Reaction Score
Just nice to see the positive mojo recruiting wise again on this board, for the next twenty minutes at least. After losing out on whoever that kid was that went to whatever that school was, and then Abu to whatever that dumpster fire was, and then getting collectively Kasongoed it's nice to confirm what 95% of us knew all along - Ollie can recruit.

His first three classes have been pretty solid it seems.

9 players
4 top 100, 3 top 75, 2 top 50 (maybe three when all is said and done)
1 Highly regarded JuCo who is the son of a well renown NBA player
1 underrated big, who has proven he was vastly misranked
1 other possibly underrated big, who is having a monster senior year
1 big defensive 4 year guard
1 McDs transfer

So far so good. One more top 100 big and that's a very good start.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn fan through and through, and shouldn't have expressed my doubts on a thread welcoming a kid to the school. Doubt's still there though.
That's no problem - your ignorance and abrasiveness can keep the doubt company, because they're not going anywhere either.

Son, when Frank Ivy tells you you're an @55H0!e, it's time for some serious introspection.

Reaction Score
That's no problem - your ignorance and abrasiveness can keep the doubt company, because they're not going anywhere either.

Son, when Frank Ivy tells you you're an @55H0!e, it's time for some serious introspection.

I want to get the second part of that post tattooed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that KO's a decent man is one of the first things you pick up from him. His comfort with his faith is going to appeal to others who have a strong faith background. I think we are going to be very happy with the type of kid that he appeals to.
One why you could separate the two types of kids that are the top players in any class is - church kids and non church kids.

I'm Jewish and I'll take the church kids 95% of the time. They have the character from A - Z that you want representing your team. KO is doing it right bringing character kids to UCONN - my hat's off to him so far.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said, except you cannot win championships without great interior post play.
Really! Exactly who were those great interior Bigs in 99? I love Jake and KFree, but they were far from great. Very good and hard working. Great? No. 2011, Okwandu, Oriakhi and Scoe...hum...good, not great.

Without doing any research, I'd be shocked if most NCs over the past Two decades were not won by teams that consisted of some of the best backcourts and wings, compared to teams that had the best 4s and 5s. UK won it 2012 with Anthony Davis, though they had a ton of backcourt and wing talent.

Don't get me wrong! I want KO to land the best bigs possible. You can't win a championship with stiffs. I just feel the way the game is being called now, you have a much better shot at winning with a team well stocked with talented wings and guards, compared to one that has most of their talent at the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
KFree averaged like 13 and 8 and Voskuhl had 6 and 6. Oriakhi played extremely well in March as did Okwandu and Roscoe.

You are capable of winning a lot of games throughout the season with guard play, but great post play elevates your game a bunch.
You seem to be making my point if anything. What you described is very good post play, not great. Let me put it this way. If you swap the best big in 2011 for Kemba...well you get my point. With out Walker, that team would have been an early exit at best.

Reaction Score
We actually did have great interior play during our run. AO played great during that 11 game stretch. If things were truly fair, he would have won FF MOP.
But the original point was you need to recruit and land great bigs to win championships. Considering Emeka, Boone and you can even add Hilton, were not considered elite bigs, yet managed to win NC #2. Doesn't anyone pay attention to history. JC won 3 championships without having to land the best big men. Granted Oriakhi and Charlie were both Burger AAs, neither carried their teams to championships. There was a post the other day asking for what signature play would you match with what UConn player. 90% of the responses were plays made by guards and wings.

Bottom line, KO doesn't need to land one of the highest ranked bigs, though I'd welcome that. He just needs to land one that will turn out to be very good or maybe even great when it's all said and done.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
But the original point was you need to recruit and land great bigs to win championships. Considering Emeka, Boone and you can even add Hilton, were not considered elite bigs, yet managed to win NC #2. Doesn't anyone pay attention to history.
Maybe not elite according to recruiting services coming out of high school but emeka was the best big man in the country in 2004 and josh and Hilton were 1st round NBA draft picks.

Reaction Score
Not big on religion, but if the Ollie's faith thing (and I know it's real) works to get talented and quality players, yoo hoo.
I'm sorry, but I get as kick out of the I'm not religious line, so I'll chime in with the so called religious minority point of view since it's not that prevalent here in New England. I love that KO is a high character man who loves Jesus and people. I actually hate the term religious. Ollie is not some grandmama who drives her Buick to church every Sunday and defines himself as a clean living, no drinking, no whatever churchian. He lives every day to honor the God that has given him so much by being a devoted husband, dad, coach, friend and representative of the kingdom of God in whatever way he can.

I'm sure I'm coming across preachy here, but I just feel people cheapen Ollie's faith and have little to no understanding of what he believes and how he lives his life by dropping the religious line.

I'm psyched that he is attracting quality kids who love Jesus. I'll be just as excited when he recruits Jewish, Muslim and non-religious kids who are quality kids. For what it's worth, JC recruited his share of similar kids. Jake and Jeremy were two who came from Christian homes and we're open with their faith.

KO's ability to attract talented players because of his character, faith and the fact that he's a good coach offsets the conference issues and the post-JC impact. As much as I like talented players, I love rooting for talented kids who are quality young men. I don't mind having some kids that have an edge and some attitude to them. It's good to have different personalities. Though I don't like punk kids. That I can do without. I think UConn under Ollie is going to cast a new image that will not only carry the out-will you, out-tough you and out-work you tradition we've all witnessed under Calhoun, but will also be a very likable team on a national level. I'm not saying the program wasn't liked by many, but JC and the program had its share of haters.

KO seems to be well respected and liked and it seems the team will begin to, and seem to already, take on his personality.

Okay, I'm done.

Reaction Score
Maybe not elite according to recruiting services coming out of high school but emeka was the best big man in the country in 2004 and josh and Hilton were 1st round NBA draft picks.
No argument there. You need talented bigs to win championships. They don't need to be the top recruits. I think in most cases it's better to get bigs that need some coaching up because they'll stick around longer and play with some maturity when they are capable of contributing most. I'd take 3 years of Emeka, compared to one from Drummond. With that said, it's not a bad thing to add a one-and-done type talent if you're adding that type of player to an experienced team.

Reaction Score
I just want Ollie to recruit a five-star big man.

I don't care if the kid prays to toasters, just get me some rebounds.
I agree with most of that, but I don't think it has to be a 5-star recruit. I'd welcome that, but would be a tad worried that a highly rated big won't stick around very long. They rarely do. I'm sure whatever big KO lands, regardless to what household appliance he prays to, he's going to be a good one who will fit the program well.

Reaction Score
A lot of JC haters were jealous of his success, also he wasn't always press friendly and always sticking up for his players when they were attacked as he should. KO will do the same thing but he's not as confrontational . Last night they were going after the coaches on ESPN game for acting out with the refs. Hey it's heat of the battle.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A lot of JC haters were jealous of his success, also he wasn't always press friendly and always sticking up for his players when they were attacked as he should. KO will do the same thing but he's not as confrontational . Last night they were going after the coaches on ESPN game for acting out with the refs. Hey it's heat of the battle.
Could you elaborate a little more for those of us who didn't see the show. Was KO brought into the discussion for the double technical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom