Wichita State Interested in Adding Football? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Interested in Adding Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They also are a baseball power. Them and Houston would have some good battles on the diamond.

Reaction Score
Its pure fantasy on my part, but wouldn't it be a classy move if upon moving to tge Big10 conference, we were part of helping a school like Wichita State get back in the game with football and join the AAC in what would be decent fit for travel and the athletic and academic complimentary mission.

That would be classy. We could say that when it was all over, and we were home in the Big10, that Saving Wichita State, was the best thing that we did in coming through this god awful sh-tty mess.

Fantasy over. Back to reality.

We need to beat SMU on the court in 48 hours, who of course is not eligible for post season competition.
Saving Private Marshall

Reaction Score
I'm still perplexed at why schools are adding football. You see other G5 schools publicly saying how they are quickly becoming unable to support their football programs and yet we keep seeing more schools wanting to upgrade their FCS team or revive their shut down team. Why? It's not like any G5 team will ever have a shot at a National Championship and in all likelihood, any school that adds a FBS program now, will not be seeing any substantial increase in TV revenue. Why add the burden? WSU has had a good run in bball as of late. Why not see if the Big East is interested in expanding? Why add football? So you can join a conference that will down grade your bball teams schedule? I know the MVC is not a major conference and lost some steam when Creighton left, but is C-USA really a step up? (I'm assuming they would be looking to join C-USA should there be no movement out of the AAC?)
Youd have to believe that it be to replace AAC defectors in which case it may as well be CUSA

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get this. There are two big reasons not to add football.

First is cost. It is very expensive to run even a decent mid-major program. The other alternative is to go bare bones and be a middle of the pack MAC team selling their schedule to the highest bidder to almost cover the cost of the program, but why bother?

Second, concussions. Unless they figure out a way to dramatically reduce concussions, I think it is less than 50/50 that football is anywhere near as big as it is now in 10 years.

Reaction Score
Is there truly any school that the American feels is NOT a match geographically?? The AAC is spread out all over the freaking country so of course a school in Kansas is a match! :confused:

We're still burning a candle for SDSU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

First is cost. It is very expensive to run even a decent mid-major program. The other alternative is to go bare bones and be a middle of the pack MAC team selling their schedule to the highest bidder to almost cover the cost of the program, but why bother?

Second, concussions. Unless they figure out a way to dramatically reduce concussions, I think it is less than 50/50 that football is anywhere near as big as it is now in 10 years.

Obviously, there are reasons to add football. UAB dropped it and now wants it back. Wichita State has decided it wants football. There have to be compelling reasons to do so. Thank God we didn't drop FB and go crawling back to the BE, huh?

I do agree with you re: concussions. That is the 2,000 lb. gorilla in the room.

Reaction Score
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Coll...-with-Shockers-football-helmet/4891454549346/

"John Bardo caused a storm Wednesday in Kansas, and it wasn't a tornado.

The Wichita State University president posted a photo of a Shockers football helmet on his Twitter account.

"So this arrived... #GoShox," Bardo said in the tweet. He followed that tweet with another saying: "Meeting with consultants today to talk about athletics. Excited for future possibilities at Wichita State.""

Shocking!!! :)

Reaction Score
They also are a baseball power. Them and Houston would have some good battles on the diamond.

They once were a baseball power with their legendary coach Gene Stephenson.....but that was then....they haven't won a regional since 1996. They are 20 years past their CWS days.

I like to keep up with the Shockers...and the Dallas Baptist rivalry games have been good...but they aren't getting the recruits they once did. Especially pitchers.

Reaction Score
Wichita State would be a good add in the AAC.

Why?
The state's flagship university is a dumpster fire in FB, but a newbie is going to be good?
Because it brings the major media market of Wichita?

If the AAC adds more teams, it should be someone with good FB or a good market (preferably both). C-USA or perhaps Northern Illinois.

Reaction Score
Why?
The state's flagship university is a dumpster fire in FB, but a newbie is going to be good?
Because it brings the major media market of Wichita?

If the AAC adds more teams, it should be someone with good FB or a good market (preferably both). C-USA or perhaps Northern Illinois.
Idk, they're good at basketball and beyond that who cares?

The AAC is a runaway train to obscurity. Might as well have some fun in the meantime.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The AAC can invite whoever it wants after we leave. Please, dear God, with some of the names being bounced around as new adds (Wichita St, UMass, Buffalo, Southern Miss, Georgia State, Appy St) please let them be our replacements.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet they'll be the best team in their state by year three. It's not like it'll be an accomplishment

Reaction Score

Cost...has there been any analysis of donations etc to a University related to a football program? It seems donations would be way up but would they cover the cost? UAB dropped football..how much did giving drop?

Reaction Score
If the students want it, they'll get it....and pay for it. The Wichita area would probably benefit.

WSU owns the first Pizza Hut structure. Not sure if that's good or bad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is there truly any school that the American feels is NOT a match geographically?? The AAC is spread out all over the freaking country so of course a school in Kansas is a match! :confused:

That's too limiting. A school on Mars or any other planet would be welcomed with open arms by the AAC.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cost...has there been any analysis of donations etc to a University related to a football program? It seems donations would be way up but would they cover the cost? UAB dropped football..how much did giving drop?

The Wheatshockers have no issues regarding cost. The Koch brothers will bankroll anything they feel like doing. They've got T. Boone Pickens x 10.

Reaction Score
What I didn't know, before joining Shockernet in 2008, about the prairie states, was how much the wind plays into the baseball game...and how cold it still is in late spring.

Those guys came to Tallahassee in 2008 for a Super...had a good starter. They played a "small ball" game...looked to bunt, steal, move the runners. And they were good at it.

Their fans are passionate......but FBS would be a big step for a program dormant since 1942.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom