Wichita State Interested in Adding Football? | The Boneyard

Wichita State Interested in Adding Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Coll...-with-Shockers-football-helmet/4891454549346/

"John Bardo caused a storm Wednesday in Kansas, and it wasn't a tornado.

The Wichita State University president posted a photo of a Shockers football helmet on his Twitter account.

"So this arrived... #GoShox," Bardo said in the tweet. He followed that tweet with another saying: "Meeting with consultants today to talk about athletics. Excited for future possibilities at Wichita State.""

Drew

Reaction Score
http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/news/2016/02/10/wichita-state-hires-title-ix-coordinator.html

"Should WSU bring football back, however, the Title IX coordinator definitely will be involved with that effort. Conference membership and football are only being evaluated at this point, and nothing has been decided, university leaders emphasize.

Stephens, meanwhile, has worked in student and judicial affairs, Title IX and academic initiatives at colleges in Connecticut, Virginia, North Carolina, Nebraska and Oklahoma."

Reaction Score
Well several months back I read, on twitter I believe, that they were interested in joining the American for basketball. Or at least had inquired about possible membership.

Drew

Reaction Score
Well several months back I read, on twitter I believe, that they were interested in joining the American for basketball. Or at least had inquired about possible membership.

From December. I'm sure the American told them if they were ever added they need football:

"Since Wichita State is putting feelers out for a potential change of conferences, there should be strong feeling for the American Athletic Conference. It is a match geographically, competitively and financially for Wichita State."

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/AAC-Wichita-State-a-natural-fit/36869960#.VmgfbJozQy0.twitter

Reaction Score
From December. I'm sure the American told them if they were ever added they need football:

"Since Wichita State is putting feelers out for a potential change of conferences, there should be strong feeling for the American Athletic Conference. It is a match geographically, competitively and financially for Wichita State."

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/AAC-Wichita-State-a-natural-fit/36869960#.VmgfbJozQy0.twitter
They would make a great replacement for us! A school named after a city? Fit in perfectly in a league with Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati.

Drew

Reaction Score

President of WSU

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is there truly any school that the American feels is NOT a match geographically?? The AAC is spread out all over the freaking country so of course a school in Kansas is a match! :confused:

Reaction Score
Is there truly any school that the American feels is NOT a match geographically?? The AAC is spread out all over the freaking country so of course a school in Kansas is a match! :confused:
The AAC is going to be the Big 12/ACC, Jr. soon. Seems it already is.

Wichita State would be wise to revive football.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The AAC is going to be the Big 12/ACC, Jr. soon. Seems it already is.

Wichita State would be wise to revive football.

That would be a best case scenario. Unfortunately it's heading the way of C-USA's marginally big brother. There is no difference in the profiles of many of our league's schools and many of their league's schools. I wonder why...

Reaction Score
That would be a best case scenario. Unfortunately it's heading the way of C-USA's marginally big brother. There is no difference in the profiles of many of our league's schools and many of their league's schools. I wonder why...
Some of these AAC schools have long, somewhat illustrious histories...

Our historical rivals are New England state schools, the Ivies and the Little Ivies. That is not a bad history to have. The two oldest football fields are at Little Ivy schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My cousin played football for Wichita State back when they had football, before killing it. If UConn and say, Cinci, depart, WSU would indeed be a good fit. But with Navy not playing basketball in the American, it might be better to just add WSU for other sports.

Drew

Reaction Score
WSU and Tulsa actually are pretty intense rivals from what I understand and WSU was in the MVC for football when they played. If UConn and say Cincy were to leave it would make sense for the American to replace us and Cincy with 2 midwestern brands. WSU would be a good add for the league- people hear "Kansas" and hear "middle of nowhere" but Wichita is the biggest city in the state at around 400k people and would continue the "metropolitan" type setting that a lot of the schools have (Dallas, Philly, NO, Memphis, Orlando, Tulsa, Tampa, Houston, etc) albeit at a much smaller rate than those larger cities.

Not to deviate from the subject at hand but if WSU were tabbed to replace us I wonder if the league would look at a school like ODU, Charlotte, or UTSA as the next add.

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Charlotte
Tulane

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
WSU
Memphis
Navy

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Some of these AAC schools have long, somewhat illustrious histories...

Our historical rivals are New England state schools, the Ivies and the Little Ivies. That is not a bad history to have. The two oldest football fields are at Little Ivy schools.

What have you done for me lately. The world is a different place than it was in 1955. I could care less about Tulane's illustrious football teams in the 1940s SEC.

Reaction Score
What have you done for me lately. The world is a different place than it was in 1955. I could care less about Tulane's illustrious football teams in the 1940s SEC.
I am well aware. That's why Tulane is in the AAC and Rice is still in the C-USA.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Rice has a wonderful history, too. They used to play Texas. Terrific. Neither of these schools is worth a crap to a conference, so if the argument is Tulane has done more than Rice recently and merits being in a league a baby step ahead, I'm finding it hard to agree. There's barely a difference between our league and C-USA anyway so hooray for Tulane. It makes me sick that we are relegated to a league of also rans and has beens, so forgive me if I don't get excited to play Tulane just because they once went undefeated five teams in the SEC in the same decade in which my grandfather was born.

Reaction Score
Rice has a wonderful history, too. They used to play Texas. Terrific. Neither of these schools is worth a crap to a conference, so if the argument is Tulane has done more than Rice recently and merits being in a league a baby step ahead, I'm finding it hard to agree. There's barely a difference between our league and C-USA anyway so hooray for Tulane. It makes me sick that we are relegated to a league of also rans and has beens, so forgive me if I don't get excited to play Tulane just because they once went undefeated five teams in the SEC in the same decade in which my grandfather was born.
I am not speaking for us. I am speaking for how schools view themselves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They are both excellent schools, especially Rice. They have nothing to worry about. They are not however, and will never be, athletic powerhouses. Too much has changed. In theory, you could put Rice, Tulane, Washington U, Emery, Vandy, Duke and some others I'm too lazy to look up, into a single "southern ivy" league.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

The ability to accurately self-reflect is a wonderful trait.

Reaction Score
Its pure fantasy on my part, but wouldn't it be a classy move if upon moving to tge Big10 conference, we were part of helping a school like Wichita State get back in the game with football and join the AAC in what would be decent fit for travel and the athletic and academic complimentary mission.

That would be classy. We could say that when it was all over, and we were home in the Big10, that Saving Wichita State, was the best thing that we did in coming through this god awful sh-tty mess.

Fantasy over. Back to reality.

We need to beat SMU on the court in 48 hours, who of course is not eligible for post season competition.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm still perplexed at why schools are adding football. You see other G5 schools publicly saying how they are quickly becoming unable to support their football programs and yet we keep seeing more schools wanting to upgrade their FCS team or revive their shut down team. Why? It's not like any G5 team will ever have a shot at a National Championship and in all likelihood, any school that adds a FBS program now, will not be seeing any substantial increase in TV revenue. Why add the burden? WSU has had a good run in bball as of late. Why not see if the Big East is interested in expanding? Why add football? So you can join a conference that will down grade your bball teams schedule? I know the MVC is not a major conference and lost some steam when Creighton left, but is C-USA really a step up? (I'm assuming they would be looking to join C-USA should there be no movement out of the AAC?)

Drew

Reaction Score
I'm still perplexed at why schools are adding football. You see other G5 schools publicly saying how they are quickly becoming unable to support their football programs and yet we keep seeing more schools wanting to upgrade their FCS team or revive their shut down team. Why? It's not like any G5 team will ever have a shot at a National Championship and in all likelihood, any school that adds a FBS program now, will not be seeing any substantial increase in TV revenue. Why add the burden? WSU has had a good run in bball as of late. Why not see if the Big East is interested in expanding? Why add football? So you can join a conference that will down grade your bball teams schedule? I know the MVC is not a major conference and lost some steam when Creighton left, but is C-USA really a step up? (I'm assuming they would be looking to join C-USA should there be no movement out of the AAC?)

As silly as it may seem- its about enhancing the university experience, trying to spread your brand to other places, and increase your profile as a university. WSU is looking at doing more than just adding football back. They want it to be a part of the university experience. They want to grow the student body by 5k to around 20k students undergrad and want there to be a reason for alumni to come back in the fall. Sports is marketing for the university.

UConn is a die hard basketball fan base and understands Wichita State is a good program, but nationally if you mentioned Wichita State I doubt people would even remember they were damn close to a perfect season 2 years ago. Seems to me WSU is tired of being the VCU of the midwest and is trying to grow themselves athletically and as a university. Not that the decision is a right or wrong one but Just trying to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom