Why we left... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why we left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Work the numbers a little more.
$11 million to 9 BE members PLUS say another $3 million to an additional 8 bb-onlies. That's $123 million a year to the BE.
Then you look at the ACC and realize that $13 million was well below what, say, the Pac-10 was offered, so they had an undermarket arrangement. ESPN could stand to throw a few more bucks to the ACC anyway.

As I see it, that's $60 million more the already existing ACC members, plus an additional $14 million more to Pitt and Cuse combined. That's $60 million LESS than what they WERE going to pay the BE plus it gets the ACC off their back in terms of complaining about an undermarket deal. That $60 million less is naturally eaten up anytime a BE school joins a bigger conference, but nonetheless, it still represents a consolidation for ESPN.

By your numbers the BE football teams were getting $72 million a year for football ($8 million each) or $56 million for the 7 remainders.

If they pay SU and Pitt another $7 million each ($14 million) and each team $2 million (another $24 million) that's $38 million of added costs which now values the rest of BE football at ($56 m - $38 in new expenses ) or $18 million or $2.6 million per team for football and $5.6 million for both sports.

Not impossible but that would seem delicate if WVU goes to the SEC or B12.

You know what they say about sausage making.....

Reaction Score
By your numbers the BE football teams were getting $72 million a year for football ($8 million each) or $56 million for the 7 remainders.

If they pay SU and Pitt another $7 million each ($14 million) and each team $2 million (another $24 million) that's $38 million of added costs which now values the rest of BE football at ($56 m - $38 in new expenses ) or $18 million or $2.6 million per team for football and $5.6 million for both sports.

You can't assume that a broken up BE is worth anything. It's not a simple deduction. These schools have a certain value combined. But once you start removing parts, it doesn't mean the schools let behind retain that value.

Reaction Score
no rivalry can match cash? i guess not if you're a prostitute.
Didn't know that Notre Dame's AD was the former ACC commissioner. Interesting.

Reaction Score
All these years I've been watching the games on TV for free. When do we have to start paying?

Reaction Score
All these years I've been watching the games on TV for free. When do we have to start paying?

What do you mean by free? Do you watch ESPN? It's not free.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by free? Do you watch ESPN? It's not free.
Which channel is Espn? I have rabbit ears up with some tin foil. I only 3 channels, PBS, ABC and Fox. How do I get Espn?

Reaction Score
Rivalries come and go. Nebraska and OU used to be a huuuge game. So did CU-Nebraska. It's all about the Benjamins.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Both your math is wrong.

ESPN is rumored to have paid:

ACC teams: $60 million (12 x incremental $5)
Pitt and Syracuse : $36 million (2 x $18)

Total incremental out of pocket to ESPN: $96 million, or almost $1 billion over the 10 year deal, just to destroy the Big East. That seems a little farfetched. Maybe Swofford had some out to force ESPN back to the table that we don't know about, so they were going to pay the $60 anyway.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the Oregon State/Arizona State or UCLA/Stanford games on Saturday? Me neither, because they kicked off at 10:30 pm EDT. And the Pac 12 was paid over $3 billion for 10 years for that. The MWC will get $8-10 million a school when they go back to market in 2 years.

The Big East is still getting paid. The Big East will get $12-14 per football school and $7-9 per hoops program if the league sticks together and makes semi-intelligent additions. Air Force and Navy have national followings that dwarf Pitt's and Syracuse's. We do lose something in rivalry games with the departure of those schools, but pick up programs with much better national name recognition. We take a hit on hoops, but we have some margin for error there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom