Why we left... | The Boneyard

Why we left...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You need it. The future of Div 1 sports at Syracuse are vulnerable because of the trends in big time sports and the fact that relatively speaking Syracuse is a small private college competing against mostly taxpayer supported, state institutions with large fan bases. It is no accident that the majority of powerhouse football programs are state schools. I just don't ever see Syracuse reaching this tier again. Maybe more loot can help your precarious situation. Vaya Con Dinero.

Reaction Score
I don't blame SU at all. ACC is a better fit, especially academically. The school is not small in the ACC, almost the same # of undergrads as UConn- 15k v. 16k, but compared to the schools in the Big 10, SEC...both UConn and SU ate small.

SU academics have fallen, a lot. Their chancellor took diversity to the extreme and SU is starting to pay the ptice for it. The ACC might just give it the vehicle to uplift its academics by attracting stronger students. The ACC top to bottom is the best academic conference playing FBS...especially once Nc state and FSU leave.

Reaction Score
no rivalry can match cash? i guess not if you're a prostitute.

Bizarre definition of prostitute. one could call you a prostitute depending on the perspective. All those advocating staying in a weaker conference want to continue bleeding red and thereby weakening the entire school. Get a grip, get some perspective. This is sports we're talking about, not the university's core mission.

Reaction Score
I don't blame SU at all. ACC is a better fit, especially academically. The school is not small in the ACC, almost the same # of undergrads as UConn- 15k v. 16k, but compared to the schools in the Big 10, SEC...both UConn and SU ate small.

SU academics have fallen, a lot. Their chancellor took diversity to the extreme and SU is starting to pay the ptice for it. The ACC might just give it the vehicle to uplift its academics by attracting stronger students. The ACC top to bottom is the best academic conference playing FBS...especially once Nc state and FSU leave.

Do you always talk out of your ass?

Reaction Score
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/ACC.aspx

If you read that and do the math, that's approximately $15m per year, per school. That means updated practice facilities for all sports, updated game facilities for all sports and better pay to retain quality coaches. If that means we lose a game or two in NYC, so be it.

No rivalry can match that.

That is the total, but that's not the differential from what you would have gotten from the Big East.

I don't think it was short term dollars that caused Syracuse and Pitt to leave. I think it was the long term stability and the association with a better academic conference.

Reaction Score
ehh................ let's show some class.

I think that was fair. Everyone knows why schools jump conferences, there is no need to rub it in.

This thread is like going over to Butler's board after the championship game and saying "Hey guy's, the reason we won is because we played better, and were more athletically gifted, in case you were wondering"

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I don't blame Syracuse at all. They did what they thought was best for their school and university. I think that they made the wrong decision and will regret it in the long run (they will make more money in the short term, but their athletic programs will suffer in the long term...ie BCU). But again, I don't blame them one bit if they thought this was best for them.

It is really a simple analogy. Syracuse is just like Chris Bosh is in the NBA. A very good player (program), but not one that you would build your team (conference) around. He (they) are probably better in perception/reputation then he (they) are in reality and actual performance. He (they) decided that he (they) would never win an NBA Championship (get big time BCS conference money and stability) unless he joined another group of players (conference) which he could ride their talent (strength) to the Championship. It is probably the right decision for him (Syracuse), as he never would have reached the ultimate goal otherwise. But it is definately a move by someone who is acting in fear and a position of weakness versus someone who is confident in themselves and working from a position of strength.

To take the analogy even further....hopefully we can become Kobe Bryant/Tim Duncan/Dirk Nowitzki. We stay and build a team (conference) around us and continue to grow our own game and strength where we can actually lead a team (conference) to the promise land. We can be the leader instead of the follower of someone else's abilities.

And if that doesn't work...we can just become Karl Malone/Gary Payton and try to jump ship to a stronger team (conference) at the last minute to get a championship (BCS conference) before the time is up and we have to retire (the BCS Super Conferernces form for good). Although that didn't exactly work out for them in the end.;)

Reaction Score
Bizarre definition of prostitute. one could call you a prostitute depending on the perspective. All those advocating staying in a weaker conference want to continue bleeding red and thereby weakening the entire school. Get a grip, get some perspective. This is sports we're talking about, not the university's core mission.

it's only sports is my thoughts exactly. they're hoping for get $15m/year, whereas we just turned down $11m/year. UConn just adopted a $1 billion annual budget (which by the way seems ridiculously high to me). i don't know what syracuse's will be, but to do all this for an extra $4 million/year? Cuse dropped their pants for pocket change. that's a cheap prostitute in my book.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
F Syracuse and Pitt. The Big East had a huge payday coming from Comcast and Syracuse and Pitt screwed it up from everyone. Don't come here looking for support.

All the UConn posters in this thread congratulating Syracuse for leaving better be writing a big donation check to the University to cover the lost revenue on the next TV contract from Pitt and Syracuse's departure.

Reaction Score
F Syracuse and Pitt. The Big East had a huge payday coming from Comcast and Syracuse and Pitt screwed it up from everyone. Don't come here looking for support.

All the UConn posters in this thread congratulating Syracuse for leaving better be writing a big donation check to the University to cover the lost revenue on the next TV contract from Pitt and Syracuse's departure.

Yep. I don't blame them for leaving but they sure did screw everyone else that's left behind. I realize they don't care but rest of the schools could lose a ton of money if we can't get something comparable for the next TV deal.

Reaction Score
I can't even begin to descripe how little of a I give as to why Syracuse left. What a stupid post.

It took us a nanosecond to build a superior football program and even with a temporary or long-term advantage of conference stability, I'm not worried about UCONN football in comparison to the Orange. Bunch of fans waiting for Jim Brown to show up in the backfield for god's sake.....

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The last time around the existing ACC schools got about $1 million more per year and Virginia Tech claimed their conference distribution went from $6 million Big East to $12 million as an ACC full member 4 years later. It was all about positioning for their current contracts. Note: that's all distributions from the ACC including travel and ticket expenses and BCS money not just media contracts. Depending on the source it could be as high as $17 million now with all distributions included.

Reaction Score
i think we'd have to at this point

I think it's fair to assume that the Cuse were in a similar position when making their decision. Imagine Swofford telling us that the ACC was expanding and would like to invite us, but if we declined it would be happy to take the Cuse. What would you have wanted Herbst to do? I know my answer: take the offer.

Reaction Score

So if you aren't willing to accede the truth, that the Cuse did exactly what we and most others would have in the same position, you are financially responsible for the negative impacts on UCONN? Got it.

For the record, I do contribute to UCONN, but I won't be upping my contributions. Not unless you do. I'd be happy to agree to a matching program. How about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom