Why too many people are going to Husky games | The Boneyard

Why too many people are going to Husky games

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
This thread may surprise 'yarders because I have supported increased attendance in the past. But yesterday's game was so boring I had a chance to think about the almost 8000 fans who were there. I realized that the average WBB game attendance is much smaller. Let's call it around 2700 with about 100 fans for the visiting team. That leaves 2600 for the home team. Now a WBB team can have up to 15 scholarship players, but for sake of agument let's make the average 13. All fans of a team usually have a favorite player so that means each player has 200 fans rooting for her. These are numbers you just can't argue with.

Everyone on this board believes that Uconn is 3 times better than the other WBB teams. BUT UCONN ONLY HAS 9 SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS. Each one should have 600 fans rooting for her. Therefore UConn only needs 5400 fans for each game. Again numbers you can't argue with. What to do with the other fans (after 5400) who might come to a game? They should tailgate in the parking garages. The food there will be much better than at the game anyway.

Reaction Score
Well Said Bill. I agree. 5400 fans seems like a nice number to me. I'll try to spread the word.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geez Bill, you had to open this can of worms!

We can now expect the dialogue between DoggyDaddy and Vowel Guy to begin, supplemented by comments from Meyers and IceBear, among others, as they devise draconian revisions to your mehodology and argue like hell about outliers, stats 101, and other such disputable minutia.

Her we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
maryland.jpg

huskybill....oddly, yours is only the 2nd dumbest thing I read this week....:cool: just kidding...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

We can now expect the dialogue between DoggyDaddy and Vowel Guy to begin, supplemented by comments from Meyers and IceBear, among others, as they devise draconian revisions to your mehodology and argue like hell about outliers, stats 101, and other such disputable minutia.

I would but he lost me at But yesterday's game was so boring....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UConn has ten scholarship players, so we can let 600 more fans in.

The rest of your logic seems unassailable, I'll have to see if I can find some flaws.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
This thread may surprise 'yarders because I have supported increased attendance in the past. But yesterday's game was so boring I had a chance to think about the almost 8000 fans who were there. I realized that the average WBB game attendance is much smaller. Let's call it around 2700 with about 100 fans for the visiting team. That leaves 2600 for the home team. Now a WBB team can have up to 15 scholarship players, but for sake of agument let's make the average 13. All fans of a team usually have a favorite player so that means each player has 200 fans rooting for her. These are numbers you just can't argue with.

Everyone on this board believes that Uconn is 3 times better than the other WBB teams. BUT UCONN ONLY HAS 9 SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS. Each one should have 600 fans rooting for her. Therefore UConn only needs 5400 fans for each game. Again numbers you can't argue with. What to do with the other fans (after 5400) who might come to a game? They should tailgate in the parking garages. The food there will be much better than at the game anyway.

It is a short bench...

boneyard_meet.jpg

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ok, got it.

I'll do it in two steps.

First

The fans come primarily to see the players, but they are also coming to see the coaches. Coaches don't count as much as players, let's say half as much.

So the average team has 13 players plus 4 coaches or 2 player equivalents. The at means the 2600 fans need to be divided by 15 , or 173 per player equivalent.
UConn has 10 scholarship players and 2 coaches, so that is 10, plus 2, or 14 player equivalents. Multiply by the factor of three, and you can allow in 7280 fans (plus the 100 for the other yeam.

But wait there's more.

The fans also come to see the cheer leaders. and the Dance squad. Some won't admit this. And some aren't interested. UConn has ten cheerleaders and 10 Dance team members ( I have no idea , I'm making this up)

But some other schools have fewer, or no cheer leaders. Many do not have a dance team. The average squad for other schools is six, total. Like coaches, they aren't worth as much as a player, but they are worth more than coaches. Each one is worth 1.618 times as much as a coach (that's the Golden ratio, you can look it up) which mean they are worth as much as 0.809 players.

Other schools this have 13 + 2 + 6 x 0.809 = 19.854 player equivalents.

So the attendance is 130 per player equivalent.

So UConn has 10 + 2 + 16.18= 28.18 player equivalents so can allow in 11071. (Plus the 100 for the opposing team.)

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Have you ever seen me respond to a HuskyBill post?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What about the band?

Ok, got it.

I'll do it in two steps.

First

The fans come primarily to see the players, but they are also coming to see the coaches. Coaches don't count as much as players, let's say half as much.

So the average team has 13 players plus 4 coaches or 2 player equivalents. The at means the 2600 fans need to be divided by 15 , or 173 per player equivalent.
UConn has 10 scholarship players and 2 coaches, so that is 10, plus 2, or 14 player equivalents. Multiply by the factor of three, and you can allow in 7280 fans (plus the 100 for the other yeam.

But wait there's more.

The fans also come to see the cheer leaders. and the Dance squad. Some won't admit this. And some aren't interested. UConn has ten cheerleaders and 10 Dance team members ( I have no idea , I'm making this up)

But some other schools have fewer, or no cheer leaders. Many do not have a dance team. The average squad for other schools is six, total. Like coaches, they aren't worth as much as a player, but they are worth more than coaches. Each one is worth 1.618 times as much as a coach (that's the Golden ratio, you can look it up) which mean they are worth as much as 0.809 players.

Other schools this have 13 + 2 + 6 x 0.809 = 19.854 player equivalents.

So the attendance is 130 per player equivalent.

So UConn has 10 + 2 + 16.18= 28.18 player equivalents so can allow in 11071. (Plus the 100 for the opposing team.)

Reaction Score
...But yesterday's game was so boring ...".

Jeez, this quote is even bringing out a Lurker....

So, was the outcome of the game ever in doubt? No, of course not!

But, there were some very athletic basketball performances by teams and individuals (and not just those in UConn uniforms) and those moves and team performances were really interesting and fun for many of us to see. There were some fantastic assists. Plus, how many months of agony and excruciatingly _______ and _____ BY posts (fill in your own favorite words) did we go through waiting for this season to start? And at the 5th game someone that thinks of themselves as a fan calls it boring?! We had two Philly coaches with tremendous accomplishments there last night... We have the best team in the country filled with great young women who also are fantastic athletes. I got to see great smiles and laughter on the faces of both Morgan and KML during warm-ups and the game. So no it wasn't competitive, but I would not trade a minute of that game for the post season doldrums when we are waiting for the season to start.

So if anything is/was boring, it is the contorted and unimportant train of thought you were building into the original post. I really don't care if you were bored. I enjoyed the game and seeming my team! Go see an NBA game between a couple of cellar dwelling teams and come back and then tell me about boredom.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Ah, Lurker, this is one of the few times where it is actually of value to spend some time hanging around with this disreputable bunch. As those of us with nothing better to do than spend time on this site know, Huskybill is rarely - if ever - posting seriously. As a matter of fact, when the day comes when huskybill doesn't post tongue-in-cheek, well, then, likely his pastor will need to be called, and, his relatives will need notification ASAP. 'Cause, he likely doesn't have much time left in this world.

HB, in his puckish way, was mocking previous threads expressing concerns about "boring" games, and declining attendance. Phil was being an obliging "straight man", knowing that HB was being entirely facetious. And, Ozzie Nelson, knowing that Bill has gnome-like qualities, both in appearance and stature, was playing along (in fact, on a good day, with shoes on with good heels, Bill might be as tall as, say, Heather Buck's navel).

Anyway, I think you can relax about HB's post - it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, quite the opposite. He is as died-in-the-wool a fan as you can find...tho', admittedly, you wouldn't need all that much wool!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Husky Bill answers (some of )his critics

Kibby...n0-one disputed my stats.

Davidin...you read too much

Phil (1)...no-one goes to any women's games except basketball. Only WBB scholarships count (in my calculations.)

Ozzie...the bench is not too short for me

Phil (2)...I watch ONLY the cheerleaders and dance team.I'm sure there's a flaw in your stats; just haven't found it yet

DD...Have you ever seen me respond to a "Have you ever seen me respond to a Husky Bill post?" post?

Lurker...if you are posting, you can't be a lurker

Pinot...You are completely wrong. And to those of us who count the number of outfit changes made by the dance team, this was a VERY BORING game

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Husky Bill answers (some of )his critics

Phil (1)...no-one goes to any women's games except basketball. Only WBB scholarships count (in my calculations.)

Fair enough but Polly has a basketball scholarship.

Arguably one with an asterisk, but it is a basketball scholarship.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Fair enough but Polly has a basketball scholarship.

Arguably one with an asterisk, but it is a basketball scholarship.
This is the kind of technicality that gives mathematicians a bad name.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
It is the inherent inventive quirkiness of this totally disfunctional family of very bright people hiding under an interstate overpass that keeps me coming back for more!

I love this as a motto....I'm either going to get it as a tatoo on my neck or maybe just write it on the memo pad on the fridge....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom