Why No UConn Lacrosse ? (Merged: or wrestling) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why No UConn Lacrosse ? (Merged: or wrestling)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The number 1 boys and girls recruits are both in CT. It’s really a joke that we don’t have a team for them.

Reaction Score
The number 1 boys and girls recruits are both in CT. It’s really a joke that we don’t have a team for them.

Reaction Score
Probably would have a number of player scholarships and coach positions endowed. by now if we started this when Hathaway was here.

Reaction Score
Some of the best athletes in CT HS's play Lacrosse.
Yeah. New England is a hotbed for lacrosse. Of course nobody goes to the games. I mean, why would they. Outdoors in February! PC dropped baseball to play lacrosse. They landed, well, no particular talent but they have a team. The baseball team, fwiw, was pretty good. Just because you like a sport doesn’t mean that UConn needs to sponsor it or that enough people care to pay for it. And just because high school kids play it doesn’t mean we will get them or will win. If it did the national championships hip would be Providence-Bryant every year.

Reaction Score
It’s understanding of economics like this that got the US $31 trillion in debt. Have you ever considered writing an economics textbook?
Do you know anything about government accounting except what you hear on Fox News? Do you know anything about the UConn athletic budget? What would you cut from the UConn Athletic budget? From the federal budget?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s understanding of economics like this that got the US $31 trillion in debt. Have you ever considered writing an economics textbook?
Have you considered reading one?

Reaction Score
I would say UConn has too many sports, not, not enough.

Reaction Score
Why not, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Wyoming, Airforce, Northern Colorado, and Utah Valley are all in big 12 Wrestling.
And Danbury high is a major pipeline to a major top 5 program at Nc state.

Reaction Score
And Danbury high is a major pipeline to a major top 5 program at Nc state.
Yep if UConn ever had a wrestling program back up running New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland as well would be huge pipeline states. The major pipeline New England schools would be Danbury of course, Xavier, Mt Anthony’s (VT) and Timberlane (NH).

Reaction Score
A couple reasons, title IX plays a major role as well.

1 - wrestling is nowhere near as important a sport in the northeast as it is in the rust belt (kind of important) or the plains states (exceptionally important). We have nowhere near the talent pool to draw from that we would need to be successful.

2 - there aren't enough schools in the general vicinity willing to field a D-1 program (we would have to participate at this level) to form a conference. Our schedule would be entirely non-conference matches, likely all requiring a good amount of travel.

When Central was a D-2 school their wrestling program was pretty solid (relative to other northeast D-2 schools) and they had quite a following on a section of NY state northwest of Albany (part of the rust belt) where they recruited pretty heavily from. The move to D-1 made it difficult to maintain the program, which sadly made it an easy choice to be a title IX cut.
How is Penn State so dominant in wrestling do we consider western PA the Midwest or does Cael Sanderson recruit in the Midwest.

Reaction Score
Just returned from New Hampshire last week. Went to grandson’s lacrosse tournament. Must have been 1000 kids there. It was 14/under. Much more participation than the other twin’s baseball.
My son played both youth lacrosse and youth baseball until he couldn't play both at the same time. It seemed there are way more baseball tournaments than lacrosse tournaments. In my experience, there are few very large baseball tournaments in New Hampshire, but there are very large tournaments in the northeast. Heck in Cooperstown, NY, they have probably 2500 12 year olds playing baseball each week for 15 weeks at Cooperstown Dreams Park and Cooperstown All Star Village. And, baseball has highly developed youth baseball tournaments run by Little League and Cal Ripken that lacrosse doesn't have. (Remember when Trumbull won the LL World Series?). In my experience in New England, it seems some towns are baseball towns and some towns are lacrosse towns. In Connecticut, a lacrosse hot bed, there are 98 boys HS teams, but there are 178 boys baseball teams.

All that said, I think UConn should have a men's lacrosse team, but I understand the financial reasons why they don"t.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From the Lacrosse thread, I think we would just need a second person to write a $20M check.

Reactions: MJ1

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The UConn club wrestling team is very good and has been very successful over the past few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

From 2018 - All it takes is a sugar daddy/mommy to write the check:

The subject of this thread has been discussed before on the Boneyard. I recall 10-20 years ago being at a reception where members of the UConn athletic department were present when this subject came up from someone in the audience. The athletic director at the time (don't remember who it was, and the reception might have been at a women's basketball final four) had the same response that David Benedict had in the above post, that if UConn got a huge donation (somewhere in the 10 to 20 million dollar range specifically for men's lacrosse), they would be happy to add men's lacrosse to UConn athletics. Well, some things never change, as this question keeps coming up, and the answer from the UConn athletic department is the same.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We have a women's lacrosse team, and they're consistently ranked and very good
Yeah nobody bothered to mention that until a few posts ago. I’m not surprised and think it’s more evidence we should have a men’s team.

Reaction Score
Yeah nobody bothered to mention that until a few posts ago. I’m not surprised and think it’s more evidence we should have a men’s team.
I think the money issue is pretty easy to resolve, and might get fixed on its own with some of the rumors. Not sure how to fix the scholarship issue though, since you'd have to add another 13 scholarships/sport on the women's side

Reaction Score

It was noted in post #11 above:

-> “It comes down to this,” Brameier said, “money and managing Title IX numbers.

Truth. That’s why lacrosse is a club sport for men at UConn and the women are Division I.

“If you add a men’s sport, you have to have something to offset that,” Benedict said. “A lot of these men’s lacrosse teams have 40 athletes (average D-I roster: 44). That’s a big number. What would be the complementary sport to add for women? Or do you reduce a men’s sport? You’re not canceling soccer or baseball at our place.”<-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom