Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And what does the owner of the mall get out of it?

The parents of those kids that want to go to the disney store, keep coming and spending their time and money in the mall.

Reaction Score
Why cover it up? Because Joe Paterno was in charge of Pennsylvania State University, and he decided that covering up and keeping the handling of an issue as ugly as Sandusky in house and out of the public eye was the proper course of action, and he had the connections in the legislative, judicial and executive branches of local and state government to make that kind of decision. My opinion.

Then why report it in 1999?

Reaction Score
Why did we have to explain that?

Because this sentence makes no sense:
I think this is more like the owner of the mall letting the former manager of the Disney store take kids into the back and rape them because Disney is a good draw.

Reaction Score
Why cover it up? Because Joe Paterno was in charge of Pennsylvania State University, and he decided that covering up and keeping the handling of an issue as ugly as Sandusky in house and out of the public eye was the proper course of action, and he had the connections in the legislative, judicial and executive branches of local and state government to make that kind of decision. My opinion.

i think you hit on the even bigger issue, and that's all the people in the police department, local government, prosecutors, etc. that helped this cover up either explicitly or by looking the other way. people at PennState did report this at one point and it was still swept under the rug for over a decade

Reaction Score
Carl, you left out the reality of the case, which is #6: The two PSU principals on trial for the Sandusky case are on the dock for perjury, not for not reporting.

How did they generate a perjury accusation?

Reaction Score
Because this sentence makes no sense:

it's not less egregious it's a matter of jurisdiction. if a man commits a murder killing spree at a mall, he goes to jail, he doesn't get banned from the mall. maybe that's a bad analogy but i hope it's close enough to show what i'm getting at.​

But this made perfect sense to you. I give up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Go reread your posts and then get back to me. The idea you would lecture people after what you wrote to mattp is totally preposterous.

"Anyone who thinks covering up a serial rapist is not deserving of punishment needs to re-think their priorities."

Anyone who covered up a serial rapist is about to be convicted or let go in a criminal court. Did Mattp or anyone else say they deserve to go unpunished?

You are saying there should be less punishment. I am saying there should be more. Criminal penalties should not be the only penalties that attach. Penn State as an organization acted in a corrupt and fraudulent manner that resulted in years of continued sexual assaults on children. Penn State did this in order to protect the reputation of the organization and the football team. The organization should get punished.

The fans of Penn State do not have the RIGHT to have a Top 20 football program, especially if the price is serial child rape. If Penn State fans are so inclined, they can root for the program after it comes back from the death penalty.

Reaction Score
You are saying there should be less punishment. I am saying there should be more. Criminal penalties should not be the only penalties that attach. Penn State as an organization acted in a corrupt and fraudulent manner that resulted in years of continued sexual assaults on children. Penn State did this in order to protect the reputation of the organization and the football team. The organization should get punished.

The fans of Penn State do not have the RIGHT to have a Top 20 football program, especially if the price is serial child rape. If Penn State fans are so inclined, they can root for the program after it comes back from the death penalty.

No, you are putting words in people's mouth. A lot of this is just fantasy that's in your head.

Reaction Score
i think you hit on the even bigger issue, and that's all the people in the police department, local government, prosecutors, etc. that helped this cover up either explicitly or by looking the other way. people at PennState did report this at one point and it was still swept under the rug for over a decade

Or, perhaps, the psychologist who interviewed the kid recommended that they not prosecute, or the current state prosecutor of the Sandusky case--at the time, a state assistant AG who recommended that they not prosecute after conducting an investigation reviewed by her boss (AG at the time and current governor). Or, even child services at the time recommended no prosecution. And why? Maybe because the kid and his mother defended Sandusky--as they continue to do to this day.

All these people erred in their judgment back in 1998-1999. A few have even expressed remorse.

Or, yes, otherwise it could also be a conspiracy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Penn State covered this up for over a decade. To claim that some person said something to someone in authority, and that therefore absolves everyone at Penn State of any blame is disgusting. Let me make this as crystal clear as possible:

PENN STATE CONCEALED A PEDOPHILE FOR ALMOST TWO DECADES WHILE HE CONTINUED TO RAPE CHILDREN.

Anyone else's responsibility should be irrelevant to what happens to Penn State. As far as Penn State is concerned, there should be no "bigger issue". No one else matters, because the decision makers at Penn State knew about this activity, making them 100% responsible for every single rape that happened. Anyone else's responsibility is their responsibility, not an excuse for Penn State.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. if the AD for a school murders his neighbor b/c he found out his wife was cheating with him, should the NCAA get involved?

Sure, if athletic department and or university officials covered up the murder in order to protect the reputation of the football program, yes, yes they should, especially if it is found to be a part of larger history of interfering with athlete punishment to preserve the reputation of the program. Of course that should only happen after the murderer and any co-conspirators after the fact are brought to justice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good point. I have no doubt that people are going to demand an NCAA investigation after this.

I'm less confident of that than you.

Reaction Score
But this made perfect sense to you. I give up.

if you don't understand my mall analogy, let me put it this way. if a high school kid walks into his high school and shoots a teacher, whose job is it to punish the student? is he going to be arrested and tried for murder, or is he going down to the guidance counselor and principal to be suspended? the NCAA is the worthless guidance counselor and principal in this analogy. do you get it now? i'm not saying you have to agree, but do you at least see where some of us are coming from?

also as much as some here say "PennState" enabled it, PennState is an institution of over million people if you include alumni, over 100k if you include students and faculty. i doubt more than a dozen are responsible, some of whom didn't work at PSU, but in local law enforcement, so no "PennState" didn't allow this, a few administrators did, and i hope they're punished to the fullest extent of the law

Reaction Score
if you don't understand my mall analogy, let me put it this way. if a high school kid walks into his high school and shoots a teacher, whose job is it to punish the student? is he going to be arrested and tried for murder, or is he going down to the guidance counselor and principal to be suspended? the NCAA is the worthless guidance counselor and principal in this analogy. do you get it now? i'm not saying you have to agree, but do you at least see where some of us are coming from?

For some people, not only should the NCAA be an arbiter, but the NCAA should create rules that guide universities in how to handle crime investigations.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but dwelling on this is like a dog chasing it's tail.

Reaction Score
also, i hope anyone that's advocating the death penalty is also advocating that the Catholic church lose it's non-profit status, tax treatment and be disbarred from any appearances as an organization in public. i think they are probably the truest comparison in terms of crime, scope, and supposedly accountable people looking the other way.

Reaction Score
It's not like these people are not going to be punished. Geez! There are multiple people who are going to be locked up for the rest of their lives. That's more than any NCAA judgment could do.

And again, this does not fall under the "lack of institutional control" as defined by the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom