Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State? | The Boneyard

Why no talk of death penalty for Penn State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the most outrageous case of lack of institutional control in college sports history. This isn't phone calls or aggressive boosters, it's worse than point shaving, this is child rape that many administrators and coaches knew about. It was a code of silence that hid child abuse. This was protecting the football program at the expense of child safety. It is by far the most screwed up priorities ever exhibited by any school. If any act ever called for the death penalty. This is it.

Reaction Score
I think after SMU they basically decided never to enact the death penalty again.

Reaction Score
If the HC and Admin turned a blind eye to Sandusky in order to protect the FBall program's image and not lose recruits then they should get some form of punishment. I'm not sure the death penalty would be appropriate but 10 years of no bowl games would work for me.

Reaction Score
i don't see this as a NCAA issue as much as a criminal one. i'm more interested in seeing some people serve time in prison. maybe 5 years locked up with a bunch of psychos will help these "educators" learn about the vulnerability of this scumbag's victims. if the biggest penalties out of all of this are meted out by the NCAA then there will have been a serious miscarriage of justice

Reaction Score
i don't see this as a NCAA issue as much as a criminal one. i'm more interested in seeing some people serve time in prison. maybe 5 years locked up with a bunch of psychos will help these "educators" learn about the vulnerability of this scumbag's victims. if the biggest penalties out of all of this are meted out by the NCAA then there will have been a serious miscarriage of justice

So breaking the law is somehow less egregious than breaking some NCAA regulations? There are no NCAA regulations that cover conduct? Huh?

Reaction Score
I see where it could be both. I realize that ti isn't exactly analogous, but in the BC betting scandals in basketball and football, there was no penalty to the school even though betting on games is clearly against NCAA rules as well as illegal. I think the NCAA in these cases is the 2nd line of attack, and they tend to defer to the police and the legal system. I'd say it is doubtful they'll do much. But I agree with you.Especially if it is shown that Penn State upper level people effectively covered this up to protect the football program, they should lose at least a season.

Reaction Score
So breaking the law is somehow less egregious than breaking some NCAA regulations? There are no NCAA regulations that cover conduct? Huh?

it's not less egregious it's a matter of jurisdiction. if a man commits a murder killing spree at a mall, he goes to jail, he doesn't get banned from the mall. maybe that's a bad analogy but i hope it's close enough to show what i'm getting at.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In addition to the criminal charges, I would like to see significant PSU football income annually diverted to (legitimate) foundations that support victims of child abuse. And it should be clear that it's court-ordered and not "out of the goodness of their hearts".

Reaction Score
first thing is to see if this all State College jury actually convicts anything, then go from there. somehow i think the football program comes out unscathed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hopefully we find out the extent of the cover up. NCAA sanctions if any, will likely depend on the extent and organization of the conspiracy. If it's limited to what we know, or it's a collection if people who didn't want to get involved, I don't think anything happens.

If it turns out this was widely known where those who might have said something were threatened the NCAA may step in. Of course, that opens questions about who outside of the University might have been involved.

I want to know more about how the charity and its patrons played a role in this as well as the social connections in Central PA. Sandusky was a man of significant stature in the area. Did those connections derail earlier investigations?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's still not NCAA jurisdiction. It's criminal. When he's found guilty, he needs to rot in jail with a new husband named Bubba, but that's not NCAA. NCAA handles competition and while this is related, it's not within their realm of jurisdiction. Hell, they do such a lousy job of what they are SUPPOSED to do, why on earth would you want to give them more jurisdiction and power.

Reaction Score

I see it as both and would be interested to know how all the connections to the FB program can conveniently be ignored by focusing on a few "bad apples". If this happens it would be the biggest pile of $--t ever swept under the rug by the NCAA. Hopefully the civil suits will follow with even more discovery to get whatever the local prosecutors miss or is ruled inadmissable in this phase. If they don't take this program off the map for a few years they might as well pack their bags and close off the regulatory arm of the NCAA because any future actions they take will be a joke.

Reaction Score
Mattp is correct. This is not an NCAA issue, this is a criminal one. To think that not having an NCAA sanction undermines the criminal one is purely absurd. Sandusky is going to go to jail until he dies.

I just don't see the point in penalizing the football players for this. Absolutely none of them had a part in this. And what is the NCAA really about (or at least supposed to be about)...the kids. Listen, I'm all for giving Penn St. a piece of karma, but that program is already hurt way beyond what a death penalty would be...school wide, not just football. Paterno's dead. Sandusky will be going to jail (because his defense butchered the closing) and there will be further fallout for years to come. I don't see why we should continue to punish those who really had nothing to do with this whole fiasco.

Remember, the game is about the kids!

Reaction Score
Talking death Penalty for PSU is like finding Roger Clemens guilty of perjury... It's true but they'll still get found not guilty...

Reaction Score
It's criminal. Sanctioning the football program now owuld be akin to the UConn BB penalty for next year and everyone thinks that's wrong. Punishing PSU kids for something 1) beyond their control and 2) that happened years ago would not be right. The only possible allowable sanction should be something like charitable/foundation contributions from the university and football staff, not anything that hits the players.

Reaction Score
"Mattp is correct. This is not an NCAA issue, this is a criminal one."

Proof comes out of a possible coverup to protect the Program, allowing more kids to become abused and this is not an NCAA problem? Isn't this the very definition of "lack of institutional control"?

You people have problems.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
raping innocent kids is OK with the NCAA, you just cant text them during dead periods

Could quite bring myself to "like" this post but the irony is spot on. I think that there can be a legimate NCAA inquiry after the legal cases are resolved. Remember there is also an allegation that Joe Pa. or others in the athletic department pressured administrators to take no action, or give reduced punishments, on players disciplinary cases. This is an athletic department run amok where reputation became paramont. The NCAA could send a message to them. That doesn't mean the death penalty, so much as some significant sanction. It certainly should involve at least one year's post season play if a pattern of institutional interference and/or cover up is found.

Reaction Score
I understand the arguement, but to me, these atrocities go so far beyond the discussion of NCAA sanctions that the point is meaningless.

I'm pretty much writing off Penn State football. Won't watch it and don't plan on ever attending a game there. Meaningless gesture? Sure. Be great if lots of other folks joined in though.

Just shameful that kids were put in harms way so a college could win football games. There's a culture for ya...........

Reaction Score
"Mattp is correct. This is not an NCAA issue, this is a criminal one."

Proof comes out of a possible coverup to protect the Program, allowing more kids to become abused and this is not an NCAA problem? Isn't this the very definition of "lack of institutional control"?

You people have problems.

It doesn't deal with the competition or the sport. Should the NCAA say something, yes. Should there be sanctions from the NCAA, absolutely not. Anyone trying to equate this to UConn's sanctions are just idiotic. UConn technically didn't do anything illegal, thus the NCAA deals with it. The staff at PSU on the other hand committed countless felonies, thus illegal and being dealt with the appropriate authorities. We wouldn't be saying the same thing if this crime was prosecuted when the crimes were originally brought to light. If anything, that's a state of Pennsylvania problem more than PSU's problem.

What's the NCAA going to do beyond what the law is going to do? Think about the other consequences too...you're probably talking about destroying millions of degrees and may very well put PSU into bankruptcy if the NCAA hands down the death penalty. The crime is being dealt with, there is absolutely no reason for the NCAA to tack on any further penalties, especially since it didn't effect the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's criminal. Sanctioning the football program now owuld be akin to the UConn BB penalty for next year and everyone thinks that's wrong. Punishing PSU kids for something 1) beyond their control and 2) that happened years ago would not be right. The only possible allowable sanction should be something like charitable/foundation contributions from the university and football staff, not anything that hits the players.

What about all the programs where kids weren't getting raped in the showers? Shouldn't those programs get a reward for not raping children?

This crosses into an NCAA issue because the cover-up was done to protect the football program. This is a matter of competition. If there was widespread drug use or violent offenses by players that were covered up, it would absolutely be an NCAA matter. That is essentially what got the hammer dropped on Oklahoma after Switzer. Football programs need to learn that covering up bad, or in this case criminal, behavior is punishable with severe sanctions.

If this had happened at Northern Illinois, the program would be shut down forever. Since it is Penn State, they will be warned that they better not rape any more children for a few years or they will get a REALLY stern talking to.

Reaction Score
This crosses into an NCAA issue because the cover-up was done to protect the football program.

Really? I think this was rather a move to protect the university...which in that case is not an NCAA issue. Even if it was to protect the football program, it was only in proxy to protect the university.

Reaction Score
If the HC and Admin turned a blind eye to Sandusky in order to protect the FBall program's image and not lose recruits then they should get some form of punishment. I'm not sure the death penalty would be appropriate but 10 years of no bowl games would work for me.

Anything less than a death penalty is sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom