Why is UConn hell bent on burning bridges? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is UConn hell bent on burning bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You pro ND guys are way off base.
After their AD said ND didn't want to schedule the Uconn men.
I assume because we aren't on their level.
Thats a slap coming from a overhyped mediocre basketball program.
Their scumbag basketball coach also couldn't wait to throw dirt on us when the PC7 left.
I think he said it would mean they could leave next year.Rubbing his greedy little hands
He threw us a bone by saying "Your school sucks but we still want to schedule the Ladies."And we get bad press because of this. Please Doublespeak if the ever was any
ND is scum
I detest the SEC and Alabama but I hope their offensive line blows those phony pretenters away.
These are the conditions:
Before we talk apoligize for your crud comments.
Say some nice things about Uconn an the great contritubution we made to the rebirth of your dead basketball program.
After that we talk about scheduling a Home and Home men and women..
Better yet will play them in Chicago and the garden

Geno is loyal to his school (I know loyality is not a concept actually understood today)
He is also smart enough (unlike some board members) to know when your being dumped on.
With the inferiority complex of such loyal UConn fans its no wonder we are were we are.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You pro ND guys are way off base.
After their AD said ND didn't want to schedule the Uconn men.
I assume because we aren't on their level.
Thats a slap coming from a overhyped mediocre basketball program.

You're way off base.

Mediocre?

More like an absolute joke of a program!

2, count them, 2 Sweet 16s in 30 years. 1 Big East Regular season championship (and it was only a divisional one...remember those?).

ND is the most overrated basketball program in America.

Reaction Score
He's misguided then. Conference realignment is dependent on one thing and one thing only: Money. Football, and Men's basketball (a distant second) are revenue generating endevors and the lead dogs. There is generally not a lot of demand for women's basketball at other schools.

Because other schools don't see UConn Football as a viable threat for consistent competition.

That'd change quick with a seat in a major conference that offered stability. Alabama beat Notre Dame last night. . . big deal, so did UConn. Louisville beats up on Florida- big deal - UConn beat Louisville on the road.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That'd change quick with a seat in a major conference that offered stability. Alabama beat Notre Dame last night. . . big deal, so did UConn. Louisville beats up on Florida- big deal - UConn beat Louisville on the road.

Invalid use of the transitive property...UConn beat ND two seasons ago. A season after which, both schools got new head coaches. What's the outcome? ND is playing for the National Title, while the UConn's coaching staff went for the Early Bird Special at Shady Glen and in bed by kick off.

The team that UConn beat was not the same team the Golden Idols trotted out last night. UConn would get smoked by that Irish team who played last night and would get decimated by the JV Alabama team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no problem scheduling ND, if it is in our best interests. If they give a darn about WBB, then give us football dates as quid pro quo. Want to make it three for one WBB game to football dates? That's fine so long as we get the football game up front. I am, however, opposed to bending over for them just because of their history.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand your position, which is perfectly reasonable, but screw those guys. Swarbrick would have to have Muffet McGraw pointed out to him in a crowd.

This is not true. ND cares very deeply about the WBB program. They have been criticized for a male centric campus, and have worked hard to build up WBB to enhance their image. Mike Brey mentioned this over a year ago, just how much ND administration values the WBB series with UConn, since it helped launch their program.

That still doesn't mean we don't make damn sure they know we expect a return of some kind for keeping it going. Right now we need all the friends we can get. Swarbrick is very tied in, he might as well be a conference commissioner as well as an AD...it's just a conference of one.

Reaction Score
This is not true. ND cares very deeply about the WBB program. They have been criticized for a male centric campus, and have worked hard to build up WBB to enhance their image. Mike Brey mentioned this over a year ago, just how much ND administration values the WBB series with UConn, since it helped launch their program.

That still doesn't mean we don't make damn sure they know we expect a return of some kind for keeping it going. Right now we need all the friends we can get. Swarbrick is very tied in, he might as well be a conference commissioner as well as an AD...it's just a conference of one.

Sounds reasonable. Notre Dame is obviously in a position of strength in terms of overall athletics (being a football brand and having the ACC for other sports). They don't need UConn women's basketball on the schedule. The ACC has some very solid women's programs.

It makes sense to me to throw Notre Dame a bone an schedule the women, at least initially. The one sport where UConn is clearly better than Notre Dame is basketball. UConn can be petty and demand other things first before giving in on basketball. Or it can reach out to Notre Dame to give it something it wants, hoping for a return down the road. Since UConn is coming from an overall position of weakness, the latter makes the most sense. If there is no quid pro quo coming and this is a one way street, it can easily stop.

Seem most are getting caught up in their emotions rather than taking a rational approach.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sounds reasonable. Notre Dame is obviously in a position of strength in terms of overall athletics (being a football brand and having the ACC for other sports). They don't need UConn women's basketball on the schedule. The ACC has some very solid women's programs.

It makes sense to me to throw Notre Dame a bone an schedule the women, at least initially. The one sport where UConn is clearly better than Notre Dame is basketball. UConn can be petty and demand other things first before giving in on basketball. Or it can reach out to Notre Dame to give it something it wants, hoping for a return down the road. Since UConn is coming from an overall position of weakness, the latter makes the most sense. If there is no quid pro quo coming and this is a one way street, it can easily stop.

Could not agree more since ND has such a great reputation for being beneficient. I mean look at how well they've treated the Big East. Oh wait, the BE tried that approach and ND used them while it benefitted them and then dropped them as soon as they had a better offer. I don't fault ND for doing this. They are just looking after their own interests, but expecting them to act more generously in the future is fool's gold. Make the deal, if it favors UConn. Hoping that people will act against their interests, in spite of a history to the contrary, isn't "rational." Putting out on the first date and hoping for a phone call (other than another booty call) is seldom a winning strategy.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more since ND has such a great reputation for being beneficient. I mean look at how well they've treated the Big East. Oh wait, the BE tried that approach and ND used them while it benefitted them and then dropped them as soon as they had a better offer. I don't fault ND for doing this. They are just looking after their own interests, but expecting them to act more generously in the future is fool's gold. Make the deal, if it favors UConn. Hoping that people will act against their interests, in spite of a history to the contrary, isn't "rational." Putting out on the first date and hoping for a phone call (other than another booty call) is seldom a winning strategy.

This is not putting out on the first date, its going on a first date at all. Your strategy seems to be to just wait for someone to promise a third date, without committing to any dates beforehand.

So many people seem fearful that Notre Dame will "burn" UConn. Even if that did happen, what's the worst end result? That UConn's women's basketball team got a good opponent on their schedule for a few years before being dropped? I'm sure UConn would die from the horrible wounds of such a "burning".

End result, you give up very little in the hopes of getting some goodwill later on. Seems like a way better strategy than "take my ball and go home" unless you give me everything I want.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is not putting out on the first date, its going on a first date at all. Your strategy seems to be to just wait for someone to promise a third date, without committing to any dates beforehand.

So many people seem fearful that Notre Dame will "burn" UConn. Even if that did happen, what's the worst end result? That UConn's women's basketball team got a good opponent on their schedule for a few years before being dropped? I'm sure UConn would die from the horrible wounds of such a "burning".

End result, you give up very little in the hopes of getting some goodwill later on. Seems like a way better strategy than "take my ball and go home" unless you give me everything I want.
Kind of not how the world works. People who make one sided deals hoping that they'll be rewarded down the road don't last very long in business. To do that with someone who has a history of not reciprocating is delussional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom