Why is UConn hell bent on burning bridges? | The Boneyard

Why is UConn hell bent on burning bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching the Womens BB game on CBS, the announcers said that Notre Dame want to continue the series with UConn in WBB, but UConn says there is no room in their future schedule (obviously there is). I understand that WBB is trivial in CR, but why burn bridges with a school like Notre Dame in anyway? Every ally you can have is important in conference realignment.

This same flawed strategy against BC saw them stick it to UConn when ACC expanded for the second time. Meanwhile Syracuse scheduled an end of season rivalry game with BC a few years back which for sure helped their standing in ACC expansion.

If UConn is smart we would start trying to build rivalries with RU, SU and anyone else that could be influential in CR, not scorning them.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Our only leverage is to tell them to make it a conference game. Being nice this time around let UL steal our lunch money.

Reaction Score
Watching the Womens BB game on CBS, the announcers said that Notre Dame want to continue the series with UConn in WBB, but UConn says there is no room in their future schedule (obviously there is). I understand that WBB is trivial in CR, but why burn bridges with a school like Notre Dame in anyway? Every ally you can have is important in conference realignment.

This same flawed strategy against BC saw them stick it to UConn when ACC expanded for the second time. Meanwhile Syracuse scheduled an end of season rivalry game with BC a few years back which for sure helped their standing in ACC expansion.

If UConn is smart we would start trying to build rivalries with RU, SU and anyone else that could be influential in CR, not scorning them.
Why not? It's only good for ND, as always.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Notre Dame can get bent, imo. They will only ever do what's best for them no matter how we treat them, and they will never return the favor. We lose nothing from turning them down.

pj

Reaction Score
The bridges aren't burnt, just closed for maintenance.

Reaction Score
I think this quote sequence from Goodwill Hunting best summarizes it:

Will: He used to just put a wrench, a stick and a belt on the table. Just say, "Choose."
Sean: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.
Will: I used to go with the wrench.
Sean: Why the wrench?
Will: 'Cause f$@k him, that's why.

Reaction Score

This is all Geno being Geno... He's pissed because he blames ND for helping to kill the BE (or at least not help to save it). Look up his explosion on BE WBB Media Day.

In the end.. He will schedule them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...raw-uconn-rivalry-huskies-coach-geno-auriemma

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
FWIW, McGraw (the ND coach for those who understandably don't know) said that the ACC wants ND to continue playing UConn. Everyone wants to play our teams, just not let us into the same conference. So fack that noise.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame can get bent, imo. They will only ever do what's best for them no matter how we treat them, and they will never return the favor. We lose nothing from turning them down.

We in fact lose a lot. We lose an attractive match up for TV. UConn should keep this series going because it is good for UConn as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I figuratively stopped reading after the bold sentence (in reality I did read the rest), because you are right. Women College basketball means exactly zero when it come to conference realignment. Outside of Connecticut, Women's basketball is lumped in with the non-revenue generating "Olympic Sports."

Reaction Score
I figuratively stopped reading after the bold sentence (in reality I did read the rest), because you are right. Women College basketball means exactly zero when it come to conference realignment. Outside of Connecticut, Women's basketball is lumped in with the non-revenue generating "Olympic Sports."

Right to the point. UConn, TN and a couple of other schools built WBB. But competition in the sport is so shallow it gets little respect. ND is one of the few WBB teams that has been able to provide some decent competition. A schedule filled with of 90 to 45 blowouts helps no one.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So the ACC should invite us in.
Seriously. I'm personally not a big enough wbb fan to lose any sleep, and UConn can pretty much schedule a series with Baylor, Stanford, and any other high-level team with a simple phone call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are as many Notre Dame fans on this board as UConn fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree with OP. As a token of our friendship we should ND a game against our woman's BB team for every game they give our football team. I mean that's what friends do help each other right?

Reaction Score
Geno think realignment starts with WBB, and not CFB, so Uconn will always be another conference option

Reaction Score
Why is it that no other school worries about burning bridges with UConn?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Geno think realignment starts with WBB, and not CFB, so Uconn will always be another conference option

He's misguided then. Conference realignment is dependent on one thing and one thing only: Money. Football, and Men's basketball (a distant second) are revenue generating endevors and the lead dogs. There is generally not a lot of demand for women's basketball at other schools.

Why is it that no other school worries about burning bridges with UConn?

Because other schools don't see UConn Football as a viable threat for consistent competition.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Christ... if Notre Dame isn't going to help our program by scheduling games with us in revenue sports like football and men's basketball why --- should we schedule Women's basketball games with and help their program? This whole attitude that we should somehow just kowtow to Notre Dame because they'd like it is BS.

They are the ones that chose to stop playing us... not the other way around...

Reaction Score
Some of you guys don't get it. It's not about whether we play ND in WBB or not. It's about keeping good relations with athletic departments of schools that could be influential for us in CR. Obviously someone in Swarbrick's (Notre Dame AD) position will be aware of this whole scheduling fuss. Maybe it doesn't mean a thing to him or maybe he takes it personally. Either way why risk it? Look how sensitive Gene Defilippo turned out to be.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Some of you guys don't get it. It's not about whether we play ND in WBB or not. It's about keeping good relations with athletic departments of schools that could be influential for us in CR. Obviously someone in Swarbrick's (Notre Dame AD) position will be aware of this whole scheduling fuss. Maybe it doesn't mean a thing to him or maybe he takes it personally. Either way why risk it? Look how sensitive Gene Defilippo turned out to be.
I understand your position, which is perfectly reasonable, but screw those guys. Swarbrick would have to have Muffet McGraw pointed out to him in a crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom