Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport? | The Boneyard

Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
People in FFC can't go to Gampel and most can't get to XL either in time, so why not play 2 or so games in Bridgeport and one at Mohegan.
So if we have 15 home games:
8 at XL
4 at Gampel
2 at Bridgeport
1 at Mohegan

Go where the money is.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
So, have an on-campus arena but only play 4 games a year there?

If anything, do away with the exhibition games at XL and Gampel and move those to Bridgeport and Mohegan.
We have to play 8 at XL due to the lease.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
XL should be 4 or 5 games. When does this lease run out?
I feel like it is soon, if it hasn't already. We came to a new deal, but I think that was predicated on improvements taking place. That's a vague recollection and may well be wrong.

Reaction Score
We have to play 8 at XL due to the lease.
Ok, but for a team that already flies commercial for all conference away games (save for maybe Temple) and takes a bus to half of their home games, adding an additional 2-3 regular season games that cuts into the games at the on-campus arena, requiring even more travel, doesn't make sense. I understand that UConn is strapped for cash, but I don't think increasing the amount of travel and decreasing the amount of on-campus games is a recipe for success. Especially from a recruiting standpoint.

Reaction Score
Ok, but for a team that already flies commercial for all conference away games (save for maybe Temple) and takes a bus to half of their home games, adding an additional 2-3 regular season games that cuts into the games at the on-campus arena, requiring even more travel, doesn't make sense. I understand that UConn is strapped for cash, but I don't think increasing the amount of travel and decreasing the amount of on-campus games is a recipe for success. Especially from a recruiting standpoint.
Do we really fly commercial? Thought we were chartering most if not everything

Reaction Score
You know, I could be wrong on that. I thought I saw something recently that they flew commercial to the PK80 (edit: Goodman tweeted that UConn was on his flight to PK80) and just assumed that's how they were traveling for all away games now.
They definitely fly commercial, I've seen them at Bradley before on their way home from Cincinnati a few years back and the plane was full of normal passengers

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
People in FFC can't go to Gampel and most can't get to XL either in time, so why not play 2 or so games in Bridgeport and one at Mohegan.
So if we have 15 home games:
8 at XL
4 at Gampel
2 at Bridgeport
1 at Mohegan

Go where the money is.

Name another school that does this? I am dumbfounded at this idea. UCONN is not a professional sports team.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport has the advantage of metro north access too making it accessible to the entire coastline + NYC. I don't see them taking games away from Gampel for Bridgeport.. but if they did I'd be there 100% of the time.

Reaction Score
Two games every winter break should be held in BPT. Besides that, it's tough to get past the cons. Hartford is bad enough but students can get there. I can't imagine many students making their way to BPT because it will never be a marquee opponent. Making the team drive 1.5 hours for a home game should be a limited occurrence.

It would be lovely if we could pick up the entire campus and plop it somewhere in northern FFC.

Reaction Score
We live in virtually the smallest state in the country and yet we need to play games at 5 different locations in order to get attendees??

Sad but true, it's a case of population density and traffic. A third of the state's population is in FFC, nearly another third is in New Haven County. There's no way any of us on the shoreline can get to a game during the week without taking time off/bailing from work early.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As much as I'd love to see more games in Bridgeport I wouldn't want to see the players have to make a 3-1/2 to 4 hour round trip.

Reaction Score
They should do a Bridgeport game when school is closed over Winter Break. Makes the most sense. Players won't be missing any school or need to worry about getting back to school late, etc..

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sad but true, it's a case of population density and traffic. A third of the state's population is in FFC, nearly another third is in New Haven County. There's no way any of us on the shoreline can get to a game during the week without taking time off/bailing from work early.

Now thats not True what part of shoreline?
I left Essex at 5 PM had time for a quick bite at Willimantic Brewing and was in my seat at Tip.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I left Essex at 5 PM had time for a quick bite at Willimantic Brewing and was in my seat at Tip.
That's not FFC county though. There isn't that much traffic from Essex to Storrs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That's not FFC county though. There isn't that much traffic from Essex to Storrs.

FFLD county is not usually under "the shoreline" moniker when talking about CT areas. Thats why I asked. Yes I know how far FFLD cty is. and the traffic.

Reaction Score
I grew up on the shoreline in SE CT and we would refer to Bridgeport as the armpit of CT. Not a place you wanted to go, not safe or pretty and IMO, even worse than Hartford (side note: W. Hartford is nice in its own right, to be fair). I would say it is a poor choice to hold a game. Stick with Gampel, increase the amount of games there and stick with the XL center (sigh) but no more. Mohegan is a nice place, but only for an exhibition IMO.

Reaction Score

Stamford.. it's an hour to get home to Northern FFld County on a work day let alone the extra hour plus up to Hartford with rush hour + another half to Storrs.

I grew up on the shoreline in SE CT and we would refer to Bridgeport as the armpit of CT. Not a place you wanted to go, not safe or pretty and IMO, even worse than Hartford (side note: W. Hartford is nice in its own right, to be fair). I would say it is a poor choice to hold a game. Stick with Gampel, increase the amount of games there and stick with the XL center (sigh) but no more. Mohegan is a nice place, but only for an exhibition IMO.

Games at Harbor Yard are fine. Been to dozens between the arena and baseball and never a hiccup of an issue. It's not the prettiest, but BPT isn't the only place guilty of that.

Reaction Score
While I agree Bridgeport is an ugly city it still would be nice for UConn to help them out once in a while. Call it charity if you want but the City and surrounding area would certainly show up and show their gratitude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom