Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why don't we play more games in Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
As much as I want to see Bridgeport and Hartford succeed, all games need to be played in Storrs. We should have a lively student section at all games, alumni should want to return to campus and recruits should see the benefits of our on-campus arena and other facilities.

Your name shows extreme bias concerning this thread.

Reaction Score
Get beer at Gampel I’ll go to more games up there. Hey I like to have a couple cocktails during the game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Get beer at Gampel I’ll go to more games up there. Hey I like to have a couple cocktails during the game.

Beer, a concourse that's walkable, actual freaking seats...all improvements that are needed.

But, specifically: beer.

Reaction Score
You're a little behind. I've spent most of my life in SW CT and Bridgeport is not anywhere near what it used to be. Almost all projects have been torn down. It is being gentrified at breakneck speed. Never thought I'd see this happen.
Fair enough. Last time I even went there was like 2003, maybe 2004. I will check out some google images and maps and stuff.

Reaction Score
I moved to Bridgeport 2 years ago. No longer one of the most dangerous cities in the US. The West Side and East Side are being cleaned up, big time, along with the South Side.
It's called west end and south end. East side is correct!

Reaction Score
Its not impossible. Its a pain in the ass. Different things. I'm not saying you aren't a true fan or anything, but this "impossible" thing is crap. The team isn't any good so you don't wanna go through the trouble. But I've had enough of people who live in FFC making it sound like Storrs is in Orono. Stop it, please. Enough.

If UConn was ranked and playing a big game on a Tuesday night, you'd be there an hour early for shootaround.

Nah, If I left work at 5 on the nose from Stamford I'd be to Hartford at best, super optimistic by 7:15 and that's if I hit nothing but green lights and traffic is constantly moving. Realistically 7:40/7:45. And another half hour if the game is in Storrs. Why go through that to show up at halftime or early second half? I didn't think you were questioning my fanhood, but with those prospects, you can't expect anybody but the most rabid and UConn crazy whackos to do that, right? There just aren't any good ways to get there as it gets jammed down here in every direction. If the games were at 8 instead of 7 I'd agree with you that it's just a "suck it up and deal with the traffic" situation, but for the most part they are 7 pm tip off's and it's just impractical. As the old adage goes "Don't knock it til' ya try it." I mean it's a few games a year so I don't think anybody is really losing any sleep over it. Just a bunch of "what if..."

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Its bad enough UConn has to do charity work for Hartford, they don't need to do it for Bridgeport too.

Sick of the FFC whining. Its the most affluent area in the country. God forbid you guys have a lil' longer commute, oh no, the University of Connecticut might play at the University of Connecticut, what an incredible inconvenience.

Sick of 860 types thinking that a longer trip with a finite destination and time is "whining"

...Ironic that the "whining" is essentially going in reverse when the guys from central/eastern CT would have to go to Bridgeport, for a game that would probably draw next to nothing in Storrs or Hartford. Put up or shut up.

And before you chime in saying "no other school does this" "almost every other program in the country" blah blah blah - there's a key difference here.

Most peer schools are:
1) Located near (more) major population centers
2) Not separated from their population base by *multiple* horrible traffic commutes. Fairfield County, in particular - you're asking some to transverse 3 of the top 11 worst commutes nationally for medium-sized cities (Bridgeport-Stamford 2, Hartford 5, New Haven 11) . Most can get around one with mass transit. Not 2, and certainly not 3.
3) Not statewide-followed, as most have *-State or a major private rival within their confines. We don't.

Being able to draw great crowds from multiple venues should be considered a strength. How many would UF basketball draw in Tallahassee? Texas in College Station? BCU in Boston? (sorry too easy)

The Storrs area is particularly at fault - the town doesn't want anything built there, so we can't have a big enough local draw to anything. Storrs Center would be a pimple in a major college town, but it's essentially the be all/end all, due to Mansfield.

Reaction Score
People forget that UConn basketball is the biggest (and perhaps only) national program in the State. There is no other competition. In fact all the major State papers have a devoted UConn sports section. All the TV stations cover the game results/highlights and often the team status. Its like a State having one pro football/basketball team, however that team is not centrally located in Storrs, not available via public transportation and certainly not convenient to get to for a 2 hour game. Even worse there is usually no public TV coverage for statewide fans to watch the games.

Just saying UConn has outgrown Storrs CT, and if they were a pro team they would have relocated. So to me one good alternative is to play now and again down South (or is it West?).

That is true re: location if they were a pro team.

While there is no in-state competition on the collegiate level we're still in a pro market and competing against the Giants, Patriots, Jets, Knicks, Celtics, Rangers and Bruins. Sports fans in this region really don't differentiate college vs pro when it comes to their viewing/attendance. It's all sports. The Sunday schedule we've had the last few years is absolutely brutal as well. Fans in this region aren't going to go see UConn play Tulsa over watching the Giants or Patriots. The Knicks and Celtics are both exciting to watch this season.

The killer is that we aren't a fly-over state where some SEC/Big 12/Big 10 school is the only show in town, where fans will happily drive 2+ hours through cornfields or swamps because there isn't anything else to do there.

Reaction Score
Honest to Kemba, almost every other damn program in the country plays on campus, has fans who travel from very long distances to attend games. But somehow asking a person to make a tough commute from Fairfield to Storrs is like putting them on the cross.

As has been discussed many times in the past, we're in a unique situation. What other powerhouse programs are in a market like ours with so many popular pro franchises to compete with? The culture in the Northeast is different, we aren't a fly-over state where college athletics is the be all, end all of life. UCLA is the only comparison and their attendance drops when the program is down. They were averaging about 65% arena capacity the last 20 years until the Ball circus arrived last year. Hell, and that was without an NFL team in town.

Not to mention the traffic in FFC. Depending on where you are in FFC, it will be impossible to get to Gampel in time.

Its not impossible. Its a pain in the ass. Different things. I'm not saying you aren't a true fan or anything, but this "impossible" thing is crap. The team isn't any good so you don't wanna go through the trouble. But I've had enough of people who live in FFC making it sound like Storrs is in Orono. Stop it, please. Enough.

If UConn was ranked and playing a big game on a Tuesday night, you'd be there an hour early for shootaround.

The last sentence simply isn't true. I've been a fan for 25 years, through all the good times and the big games, and I've been to one weeknight game at Gampel and it was against Boston University. Stop assuming that people can drop all responsibilities to make the trek to Storrs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Beer, a concourse that's walkable, actual freaking seats...all improvements that are needed.

What's needed more than beer can't be fixed. There is no legroom there at all. All game you fight to keep from kneeing the guy in front of you while getting kneed in the back yourself. My idea of hell is sitting in the middle of a bench seat row at Gampel.

Reaction Score

Ncaa rule you can't serve alcohol at on campus facilities and ncaa tournaments

Reaction Score
It's called west end and south end. East side is correct!
Brain fart but I will double check.

They've managed to repave Route 1 from Fairfield/Bridgeport border to the colonial border of Fairfield/Stratford. They've been repaving other roads, too. Started repaving sidewalks, too. A lot of buildings are having restoration work done. Even in cold weather.

To put sidewalks in perspective, Clinton Ave's old sidewalk in the historic district is nearly completely redone. Going to miss those old metal markers were placed in the previous sidewalk, unless they placed those back in the new one, which I doubt. In NYC, they didn't even use the original brass letters on the John T Brush Stairway by Polo Grounds. They've also been cleaning up trash, surprisingly. I am with that "JSM" dude on unionized workers moving too slowly.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Last time I even went there was like 2003, maybe 2004. I will check out some google images and maps and stuff.
You'd have to see it in person. It's very recent but a lot of work has been done.

Reaction Score
The killer is that we aren't a fly-over state where some SEC/Big 12/Big 10 school is the only show in town, where fans will happily drive 2+ hours through cornfields or swamps because there isn't anything else to do there.
Much less braking and turning for them, too.

Reaction Score
Games off campus are to increase fan awareness?? Like they need that in CT?? CT isn't exactly MT space-wise.

Reaction Score
Ncaa rule you can't serve alcohol at on campus facilities and ncaa tournaments

You can serve alcohol @ on campus stadiums/arenas - but you are correct on prohibition @ NCAA sanctioned tournament/championship events.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom