Why did Flipper say those things? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why did Flipper say those things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It didn't backfire at all. He messed up bad with the ESPN comment, but he knows the Big East 6 aren't going to do anything about ESPN so what's the difference? And by making those statements against UConn he drew a very bright, very public line in the sand for the rest of the ACC. UConn doesn't have the juice to overcome that, and Flipper knows it. Everyone does, except for Herbst.
So you are saying that Flipper's comment alone will keep UConn out of the ACC if and when they choose to add more teams? Wow.

Reaction Score
It didn't backfire at all. He messed up bad with the ESPN comment, but he knows the Big East 6 aren't going to do anything about ESPN so what's the difference? And by making those statements against UConn he drew a very bright, very public line in the sand for the rest of the ACC. UConn doesn't have the juice to overcome that, and Flipper knows it. Everyone does, except for Herbst.

Every time this month you show some signs of heading back to reality, then statements like this happen. Where in business does the weakest partner in a partnership draw a line in the sand because he thinks he can stop his stronger partners from crossing it?

Reaction Score
And if Defillippo gets fired? What then?

I was actually thinking the same thing. On the one hand, if he stays or rather if they decide to keep him, it almost guarantees BC's continued demise in college athletics. I know that sounds like a cheap shot, but, from everything I have seen, there is little doubt in my mind that he is completely and utterly incompetent.

On the other hand, a competent AD at BC might be good for UCONN with the ACC and for college athletics in the Northeast in general.

I have absolutely no inside information. But, my sense is that he is a dead man walking. What he did to the football and basketball programs at BC will take some time to remedy. Then he took that interview with the Globe and proceeded in a few minutes to piss-off Duke, Coach K, UCONN (more), the ACC leadership, ESPN and, you have to believe, the leadership at BC. That's pretty good work for one interview. Unless he has pictures I have to believe FL boots him immediately after the football season and the new AD then cans Spaz (after eating a big part of his contract extension).

We have our challenges at UCONN no doubt. But at BC they are much deeper. A culture of leadership, integrity and success are not built or rebuilt easily or quickly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And why no love for Commander McBragg??? I knew mets, forte, and Lrock wouldn't get it, but what about the rest of you old men?

Sorry KGun, I really must be going.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every time this month you show some signs of heading back to reality, then statements like this happen. Where in business does the weakest partner in a partnership draw a line in the sand because he thinks he can stop his stronger partners from crossing it?

He went public with his opposition. Very public in fact. So now the ACC has a choice of airing internal dirty laundry and steamrolling BCU or moving on to other candidates or just standing pat. The easiest thing is always to do nothing, and by making a public stink, Defelippo made doing nothing even easier.

Reaction Score
He went public with his opposition. Very public in fact. So now the ACC has a choice of airing internal dirty laundry and steamrolling BCU or moving on to other candidates or just standing pat. The easiest thing is always to do nothing, and by making a public stink, Defelippo made doing nothing even easier.

Not only couldn't I disagree more, I think the opposite is true. When a weaker partner takes internal disagreements to the outside world, the stronger partners normally steamroll over him just to make a point. Why does FSU, or UNC, care if the world knows BC is on a different, self-centered page.

But whatever.

Reaction Score
I think GDF put the last nail in his own coffin. I also suspect that after that assinine interview that FL got a phone call from the ACC leadership and ESPN that burned a hole through his head.

That tirade may not have helped our cause with the ACC, but I sure as hell can't see how it hurt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom