Why did Flipper say those things? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did Flipper say those things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's interesting that people are split as to whether emotion or calculation drove that statement. Put me in the emotion group.

He can't stand us. He's made that clear. He wants the BCU to be the big dogs in NE instead of the also rans that they've become. We've been a thorn in side from dominating BC in basketball head to head, to the law suit, to two national championships in MBB and 7 in WBB. He went to ACC to kill the BE and us with them. Instead, his programs are on the decline and fan interest is waning. He is largely ignored in the ACC and his job is in jeopardy. But... he successfully kept us out the ACC and he's going to let everyone know about it.

A mentor of mine once told me to never admit to a victory in business. Enjoy the win in private but publicly play it cool. It never makes sense to give someone motivation for the next round. Mean Gene would have been wise to have adopted this approach.

+1. Except make that three national championships in MBB!

His sole job is to build and maintain an excellent athletic program. He has failed mightily. Because we have owned BCU athletically for decades, he hates us and blames our success for his failure. Instead of trying to compete with us and win, he has sunk to the low road and tried to drag us down so BCU might look good, at least by comparison. So far he has failed at that, too. Karma doesn't reward that strategy often; and according to the tenets of the religion on which his school purports to be based, God doesn't either.

Reaction Score
BC was stupid to join the ACC. They were chasing Miami and Virginia Tech to the football super conference. Ssince the big move, zero national championships for ACC football .

Reaction Score
A mentor of mine once told me to never admit to a victory in business. Enjoy the win in private but publicly play it cool. It never makes sense to give someone motivation for the next round. Mean Gene would have been wise to have adopted this approach.

Could not agree more with that strategy. Why piss off a competitor? Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I'm going with he was trying to impress his gumar when he gave the interview after two bottles of vino.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Three national championships. Not trying to be picky I'm just encouraging you to please jab that thorn in BC's side even harder

8893said: +1. Except make that three national championships in MBB!
Yikes! Corrected!!:eek:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
+1. Except make that three national championships in MBB!

His sole job is to build and maintain an excellent athletic program. He has failed mightily. Because we have owned BCU athletically for decades, he hates us and blames our success for his failure. Instead of trying to compete with us and win, he has sunk to the low road and tried to drag us down so BCU might look good, at least by comparison. So far he has failed at that, too. Karma doesn't reward that strategy often; and according to the tenets of the religion on which his school purports to be based, God doesn't either.
Which is why I'm torn about going to the ACC.

Reaction Score
No. With Flip, there is no clandestine plan to coerce a predetermined outcome. He's a loose-canon who has a history of gaffes. Think Biden but much, much shorter and much, much angrier.

The only possible theory floating out there within the BC community is that Flip knows that his days are numbered for many reasons. So the interview was an act of desperation to bolster whatever credibility he has left.

He's toast.

that was my take as well.

Reaction Score
th_COMMANDERMcBRAGGYELLOWBKGD300DPI.jpg

Reaction Score
Flipper's quote was just to gloat and publicly stick it up our ass, and it backfired big time. Wouldn't it be poetic justice that if Congress ever got involved in this mess, Flipper would have to testify at a hearing where Blumenthal was on the panel?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I posted my theory in another thread:
I honestly think the reason DeFilipo is flexing his muscles now is because he knows that UConn to the ACC is an inevitable... he's showing off before he capitulates. He's also going to let everyone know that when UConn joins the ACC... it's because HE let UConn join and not because it was inevitable from the beginning.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing Waylon: college athletics is a big business. But when guys like Gene were coming up through the ranks, it really wasn't. It was a less important and undersupervised part of big universities. The fact that, today, you want successful businessmen to be your ADs doesn't mean that there still aren't some "old school" guys around who really grew up as glorified coaches. (Not that there is anything wrong with being a coach -- just that those skills are very different from those that you would want an AD to have).

My poing being you should not assume Flipper is going to speak and act like a lawyer/MBA just because today, decades after he broke into the business, that is the type of person you'd want to hold his job.
In fact, your catagorization of DeFillipo as a glorified football coach isn't far from wrong. He began his career as an assistant football coach and moved into athletic administration from there, first as an adminstrator in the athletic department at Vanderbilt, where he was coaching, then as AD at South Carolina-Spartenburg then an assistant AD at Kentucky, I think before moving on to Villanova as AD before landing at BC. He was absolutley one of the old school guys.

Reaction Score
He better not be an english teacher. :) Because I need an interpreter and a lawyer just to understand it!!!

The way I see it if someone "isn't far from wrong" ... they must be close to wrong ...

But I don't think that's what he meant ... I think ...

Reaction Score
Now that you give me the name I certainly remember the cartoon (and could hum part of the themesong). But I couldn't place it until you gave me the name.

Reaction Score
I've never heard of Commander McBragg. Maybe I'm younger than I think.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The first thing I thought of when Flip's name came up. It took a little diggin to find it but is well worth the effort (it gets great about 2 1/2 minutes in):

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
I've never heard of Commander McBragg. Maybe I'm younger than I think.

Commander McBragg was a short 2 minute cartoon when Underdog was on and the cartoon always ended with him saying the word "Quite".

Damn, goes to show how old I am.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He used to spin a globe and point. He always had a story for wherever in the world he pointed to.

Go Go Gophers were better. Tennessee Tuxedo was also part of that mix.

Reaction Score
The first thing I thought of when Flip's name came up. It took a little diggin to find it but is well worth the effort (it gets great about 2 1/2 minutes in):

I love that skit....Lord and Lady .........

, how are you? Spoken like a true .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Flipper's quote was just to gloat and publicly stick it up our ass, and it backfired big time. Wouldn't it be poetic justice that if Congress ever got involved in this mess, Flipper would have to testify at a hearing where Blumenthal was on the panel?

It didn't backfire at all. He messed up bad with the ESPN comment, but he knows the Big East 6 aren't going to do anything about ESPN so what's the difference? And by making those statements against UConn he drew a very bright, very public line in the sand for the rest of the ACC. UConn doesn't have the juice to overcome that, and Flipper knows it. Everyone does, except for Herbst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom