who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

who was the 1 recruit that got away calhoun years..

Reaction Score
I would think so. Curley was a back to the basket post players. Donyell was a face up stretch 4 before it was fashionable.
Donyell was one of those that sort of fell into our lap.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Donyell was one of those that sort of fell into our lap.
We swiped him from under Boeheims nose while he was busy picking it. ‘yell to cuse was pretty much a done deal.

Reaction Score
I did an internship at hartford public and buckley in like 97. The stories about camby where crazy and umess cal
Haha, I heard them too. Can I get a mic check?!??

Reaction Score
Bill Curley to BC. Calhoun really loved his hard nosed game and he was from the Boston area.

Travis Best and Bill Curley
I remember reading that Best and Rick Brunson, both from MA and Fair and Ollie were the backcourt guys we were really after. Ollie and Fair committed to us first. Then Best went to GA Tech and Brunson to Temple.

Reaction Score
I remember reading that Best and Rick Brunson, both from MA and Fair and Ollie were the backcourt guys we were really after. Ollie and Fair committed to us first. Then Best went to GA Tech and Brunson to Temple.
Yep, Best was another big miss. Ollie was a good point guard but Travis Best was on a whole other level.

Reaction Score
I’m kind of surprised we didn’t get Jordan Williams over Maryland. Particularly since Jordan’s uncle, Murray Williams, played for Calhoun. I’m not sure if we were in on him hard or not, but he’s one I’ve wondered about.

Reaction Score
I know the urban legend of that. I still don’t buy it.

Tom Moore was on Dauster's podcast a couple months ago and mentioned that they were actually reasonably close at one point. I know he took one of his visits to Storrs.

Reaction Score
KG or KD, I read in Calhoun’s Dare to Dream book that we coulda had baron davis too but he didn’t wanna leave the west coast

Reaction Score
I thought Durant was big. That class could have also brought Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson if I recall. I think once sticks committed Durant felt slighted.
Durant got paid.. That was the only thing that mattered.

Reaction Score
Just a few CT boys who went away.........................

John Bagley (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): BC
Charles Smith (Warren Harding, Bridgeport): Pitt
Mike Gminski (Masuk, Monroe): Duke
John Pinone (South Catholic, Hartford): Villanova
Sylvester (Sly) Williamson (Lee, New Haven): Rhode Island
John Williamson (Wilbur Cross, New Haven): New Mexico State
Walt Luckett, Jr. (Kolbe Cathedral, Bridgeport): Ohio U.

Probably the first "big time" CT high school player that UConn landed in the Big East era was Middletown's Corny Thompson. Unfortunately, he regressed under Perno's tutelage. The first major in-state recruiting coup by Calhoun was Kolbe Cathedral's Chris Smith. That broke the pipeline of Connecticut's best emigrating elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Tom Moore was on Dauster's podcast a couple months ago and mentioned that they were actually reasonably close at one point. I know he took one of his visits to Storrs.
Calhoun said Durant told Rudy Gay he was going to commit to UConn.

“He was going to come,” Calhoun, who had led UConn to NCAA titles in 1999 and 2004 ahead of the Durant recruitment, said in a phone interview after he made similar comments Saturday on Sirius NBA Radio. “He didn’t tell me personally, no. He told Rudy that.”

He added: “That summer [2006], he and Rudy Gay went to France, I believe it was, with Nike, and as he got off the plane [in the U.S.], he told Rudy, ‘I’m going to see you. I’m going to see you. I’m going to room with you.’ So they made their plans to be together.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom