Who Is the Better Shooter: Azzi or Lou? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who Is the Better Shooter: Azzi or Lou?

Reaction Score
Azzi has a really beautiful shot with a fast release and it's the best in CBB but Lou has the ability to not let a few misses affect her game and keeps looking and taking her shots. Something Fudd is doing better with so far this year but not where Lou is. But there's a 3 year difference between them and will get there.

sun

Reaction Score
Which ball will they be using to compare their shooting, Nike or Wilson?
I'd hope that using the Wilson ball in the NCAAT doesn't affect their shooting %'s very much.
Wilson also makes the ball that's used in the WNBA.

Folks may also need Azzi to play for 4 full seasons in order to make a valid comparison.
After all, Lou is a 5th year player while Azzi is only a sophomore.
They will each have their own complete body of work & NCAA statistics by the time that they graduate to analyze.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
imagine if we had Paige. That would maybe be the best guard lineup in NCAA wpoemn's basketball history.
When (not if) we get Azzi and Paige healthy at the same time it will be an interesting debate: who is the best duo, Azzi/Paige or Sue and DT (college careers only, can't beat all the gold).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's nice to have a 50%/40%/90% shooter.

It's really nice to have 2.
That’s the “holy grail” for shooting a basketball. If both Lou & Azzi can do it for an entire season that would be remarkable. So long as both are on the court together, there is a much better chance of that happening.

Reaction Score
I can't pick one over the other, but will say when they are both on the court at the same time they make each other better. Those are two incredibly tough assignments for a defense. That pass from Azzi to Lou, when Azzi could have taken a pretty open three, was a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Important distinction:1) who’s shooting better vs 2) who’s the better shooter.

The answers to each are easy.
1) Lou, the stats are clear. But since she undoubtedly benefits from having other scoring threats on the floor, etc., it’s still possible to say
2) Azzi is the better shooter, as Lou’s stats reveal (lol).

This is a multi-variable equation and we can disagree about too many of them to really settle this question.

Reaction Score
Lou uses picks and gets shots off quickly too. Check this out - she does this a lot.

Yes, I have to agree with Husky Nan. I just was pointing out a " relative."
difference = one based on a longer college playing experience. Lou is 24 yoa, right??
I love the highlight video!! Thanks, Z

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m reposting the clip below. Watch the defender as Lou moves from the lane to the perimeter - the St J player doesn’t know whether to stay with Lou or get back to the paint so she’s in between and too late to defend Azzi. How valuable is that? By themselves Azzi and Lou are tremendous assets to the team but together.…just amazing.

Reaction Score
Lou is a great shooter but not a unique shooter. Azzi has the fastest and best release for a woman I have ever seen and does not need the muscularity or rhythm that Lou needs to get her shot off. She can make 30 in row with no problem. 225 out of 250 no problem. She catches the ball in position to release it. Her shot is compact, with few moving parts and yes, better than Katie Lou or Kalena. We haven't seen who she is yet. Trust me. Final Four MOP.
And she's 4 years younger.

Reaction Score
I'm not inspired by the post. oldude, one of the mvps of this blog, day in day out.
The comparison I think about a lot is Lou and Lou (Katie Lou). Katie Lou a pure shooter, but I would argue unidimensional, and Lou, a really solid all-around player. I like Lou!!! I guess Lou is a 2 and KLS is a 3. Whatever.
Azzi is in an entirely different category. Like PB or DT or MM. This is something other-worldly. Maybe it shows your frustration with UConn's injury train. I have my fingers crossed and I'm doing a Native dance and chant that we get to see the real thing with for an extended period before she leaves.
I know the NBA isn't popular with everyone (I like it- crap they're the best in the world) but have people seen with their own eyes what Steph Curry can do? He turns a normal back and forth game into a cartoon, a Marvel comic book.
To me, that's Azzi! We've seen glimpses. And with PB. Come on, this stuff is generational, epic. The center for SC, the forward at Stanford- good players, really good players. This stuff is going to knock our planet out of orbit, the grounds gunna shake.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird is my age. He's my idol, for sure. Watched him and the Celts any chance I could get. I had a buddy that invited me to the Cap Center in D.C. every time Boston came to town. 10th row on the side at one end.
He would play his normal wonderful all-around game, rebounding, facilitating, scoring in a matter-of-fact way. I never left the arena dissatisfied. Then like a sudden spark (the Bullets were always decent, game was close, 4-6 points) Bird would make 4 or 5 electric plays, including clutch shooting (daggers) and before you knew it, game was over. Middle of the 3rd period.
IMHO is gunna be that. Not Georgetown, but ND, SC, Stanford. It's gunna be like watching a solar eclipse twice a week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Larry Bird is my age. He's my idol, for sure. Watched him and the Celts any chance I could get. I had a buddy that invited me to the Cap Center in D.C. every time Boston came to town. 10th row on the side at one end.
He would play his normal wonderful all-around game, rebounding, facilitating, scoring in a matter-of-fact way. I never left the arena dissatisfied. Then like a sudden spark (the Bullets were always decent, game was close, 4-6 points) Bird would make 4 or 5 electric plays, including clutch shooting (daggers) and before you knew it, game was over. Middle of the 3rd period.
IMHO is gunna be that. Not Georgetown, but ND, SC, Stanford. It's gunna be like watching a solar eclipse twice a week.
I am reminded of a game when a trash talking Bird announced to the opposing team that he planned to shoot only using his left hand, making 6-8 left handed shots including layups, baby hooks and midrange jumpers. :cool:

Reaction Score
I am reminded of a game when a trash talking Bird announced to the opposing team that he planned to shoot only using his left hand, making 6-8 left handed shots including layups, baby hooks and midrange jumpers. :cool:
For sure! He was the ultimate competitor.
I'm more of a true connoisseur, like when you go to an art museum and you stand there looking at the painting for like 15 minutes. Of course I loved the crazy games, like 60 points, etc but to me the best in Bird were those 23 points, 10 boards and 6 assist games, which BTW were his career averages.

Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom is that Azzi has the most beautiful jump shot in WBB. Far be it from me to disagree with that sentiment. But the more I watch Lou shoot the basketball, the more impressed I am with her brilliant shooting mechanics.

Lou’s jump shot is truly a JUMP SHOT!!! She elevates her 6’1” frame, with her hands extended upward, releasing the ball with a high, parabolic arc that makes it virtually impossible to block her shot. In order to get maximum elevation on her jump shot, Lou employs a couple of “next level” techniques.

When Lou is working with the ball in her hands to get to her spot on the court and release a mid-range jumper, she frequently employs a technique that is something of a lost art, “the two-foot jump stop.” Lou dribbles to open space, steps into the jump stop with a big stride off her left leg, planting both feet square to the basket and immediately elevates to release her high, arching shot, which is a thing of beauty.

From the arc, Lou uses another technique which I have only recently become aware of after rewatching the SJ game again today. Lou is constantly working to find a little open space at the arc. When she is about to receive the ball from a teammate, Lou does something that is relatively unique in WBB by flexing both knees. When Lou catches and shoots from the arc, she is pre-coiled, so to speak, prepared to spring upward and release her high arching shot.

Shooting 43 for 84 from the arc, Lou is currently 2nd in the nation in 3-pt shooting percentage at 51.2%, less than 1 percentage point behind Gonzaga’s Brynna Maxwell. As information, Azzi is currently 43.1% from the arc, shooting 22 for 51, which would place her a very respectable 33rd in the nation, had she not missed so many games, with her # of attempts currently below the qualifying standard.

With that said, here is my question to the Boneyard. Who is a better shooter: Azzi or Lou? ;)
the sad thing is this same question was being asked heading into last season between Azzi and Caroline.........poor Caroline has been left out of the picture but heading into UConn as a freshman she was considered a true long range bomber with great accuracy........I still think we will see that at some point once she is truly healthy and gets more playing time.......

Reaction Score
Shooting 43 for 84 from the arc, Lou is currently 2nd in the nation in 3-pt shooting percentage at 51.2%, less than 1 percentage point behind Gonzaga’s Brynna Maxwell.
Nice analysis and the added comments your thread has produced have made this an interesting and thought-provoking read. I think Lou is absolutely great and it's just amazing and wonderful we've had her help here. But we're talking Azzi Freaking Fudd.

IMO: looking at Lou's current season 3 pt % seems to be the major cited evidence supporting her being the choice. I'm not discounting that: I love streaks and love career years (especially when my team is the beneficiary) but Lou's 3 pt norm is merely superstar, and right now she's unconscious. Azzi is consistently achieving what, 43% over two seasons during much of which she was fighting nagging injuries. No, on Lou's strongest "advantage" I'm still giving Azzi the edge. Whether stats bear it out over a period of time or not (lots of variables can skew stats), my eye test shows me Azzi is just a goddess-blessed and superbly trained shooter the likes of which we're unlikely to see ever again.

So, Certs is a breath mint. That's my choice and I'm sticking with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom