Who Is the Better Shooter: Azzi or Lou? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Is the Better Shooter: Azzi or Lou?

Reaction Score
While I understand the question focused on shooting, Azzi is masterful as needed getting open. While UConn's motion offense doesn't often require shooters to go one on one, similar to Paige, Azzi is a master at using her ball handling and fakes to manufacture shots when none existed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Bach or Handel?

Duke or Louis?

Miles or Coltrane?

Doesn't matter, we're lucky to have them.
Does Bigboote know his target audience or what? For those under the age of 70,
JS Bach or George Frideric Handel (classical composers)
Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong as Jazz musicians, though one was a pianist and composer the other a singer, composer and trumpeter.
Miles Davis a jazz trumpeter or John Coltrane a jazz saxophonist.

Maybe some juxtaposition on the analogies but we get your point.

Reaction Score
Lou is a great shooter but not a unique shooter. Azzi has the fastest and best release for a woman I have ever seen and does not need the muscularity or rhythm that Lou needs to get her shot off. She can make 30 in row with no problem. 225 out of 250 no problem. She catches the ball in position to release it. Her shot is compact, with few moving parts and yes, better than Katie Lou or Kalena. We haven't seen who she is yet. Trust me. Final Four MOP.

Reaction Score
Nope. Not gonna go there.
I hear ya though. I can't go there either.
I Dont Want To No Way GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a reminder, early in the season, Lou said this (paraphrasing slightly): "I look up to Azzi. I know she's younger, but she's a great player and great shooter, so I look up to her."

Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom is that Azzi has the most beautiful jump shot in WBB. Far be it from me to disagree with that sentiment. But the more I watch Lou shoot the basketball, the more impressed I am with her brilliant shooting mechanics.

Lou’s jump shot is truly a JUMP SHOT!!! She elevates her 6’1” frame, with her hands extended upward, releasing the ball with a high, parabolic arc that makes it virtually impossible to block her shot. In order to get maximum elevation on her jump shot, Lou employs a couple of “next level” techniques.

When Lou is working with the ball in her hands to get to her spot on the court and release a mid-range jumper, she frequently employs a technique that is something of a lost art, “the two-foot jump stop.” Lou dribbles to open space, steps into the jump stop with a big stride off her left leg, planting both feet square to the basket and immediately elevates to release her high, arching shot, which is a thing of beauty.

From the arc, Lou uses another technique which I have only recently become aware of after rewatching the SJ game again today. Lou is constantly working to find a little open space at the arc. When she is about to receive the ball from a teammate, Lou does something that is relatively unique in WBB by flexing both knees. When Lou catches and shoots from the arc, she is pre-coiled, so to speak, prepared to spring upward and release her high arching shot.

Shooting 43 for 84 from the arc, Lou is currently 2nd in the nation in 3-pt shooting percentage at 51.2%, less than 1 percentage point behind Gonzaga’s Brynna Maxwell. As information, Azzi is currently 43.1% from the arc, shooting 22 for 51, which would place her a very respectable 33rd in the nation, had she not missed so many games, with her # of attempts currently below the qualifying standard.

With that said, here is my question to the Boneyard. Who is a better shooter: Azzi or Lou? ;)
Azzi

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Lou is a great shooter but not a unique shooter. Azzi has the fastest and best release for a woman I have ever seen and does not need the muscularity or rhythm that Lou needs to get her shot off. She can make 30 in row with no problem. 225 out of 250 no problem. Except in a game. She catches the ball in position to release it. Her shot is compact, with few moving parts and yes, better than Katie Lou or Kalena. We haven't seen who she is yet. Trust me. Final Four MOP.
The fastest and best release for a woman. She catches the ball in position to release it. Yes, Lou can ... or were you talking about Azzi? ;) Right now in games where it matters Lou is 8% better from the 3 point line. Lou is quick when she has to be.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The fact that there was even reason for you to ask the question speaks to the plethora of riches that UConn has at it's disposal. How fortunate are we to have them both playing for us...even if it is only for a year. This is why we should all be savoring every minute these ladies give us this year...we are truly blessed.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The fact that there was even reason for you to ask the question speaks to the plethora of riches that UConn has at it's disposal. How fortunate are we to have them both playing for us...even if it is only for a year. This is why we should all be savoring every minute these ladies give us this year...we are truly blessed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They have different styles and methods to get free, Azzi shakes defenders using picks more (she runs off them tight). Her handle is tighter and is 100% in sync with her shooting motion and the shot is quick. Lou has a slower release, but her elevation allows her to get off clean shots even when tightly defended. She is 100% unbothered by defenders. Azzi can use extended dribbling to get free, but rarely have I seen Lou dribble more than twice to get off her shot unless it's a drive for a layup or floater. I do think that Lou is a better shooter from the baseline and Azzi from the paint. Long range not much difference.
Lou uses picks and gets shots off quickly too. Check this out - she does this a lot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As good as she is, Azzi is still learning. She’s added drives to the hoop and has become much more dangerous as a result.

Azzi makes this play look deceptively easy but it’s not.

Reaction Score
Both are very, very good. As described above Azzi is a pure, a classical shooter (IMO)
and Lou is a different talent, with three years more experience, and she has honed
her shooting talent by being challenged while at Fairfield to " let it fly" while.
being very well and closely defended. IMO) needs fewer screens to get
her points. We'll see both in the WNBA. When Caroline gets back on
the floor UCONN will ROCK!! (From 3-point land, and elsewhere). I don't
see the need to choose between them.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd is probably the best shooter in the NCAA women's Basketball...Lou moves a little smoother, not much, and goes up for a quick jumper. Different shooters, both so much fun to watch. Would have loved to have this debate including Paige.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Does Bigboote know his target audience or what? For those under the age of 70,
JS Bach or George Frideric Handel (classical composers)
Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong as Jazz musicians, though one was a pianist and composer the other a singer, composer and trumpeter.
Miles Davis a jazz trumpeter or John Coltrane a jazz saxophonist.

Maybe some juxtaposition on the analogies but we get your point.
I'd thought of adding "After Forever or Epica" but thought better of it. ;)

Regarding Louis, I don't usually think of folks who don't write much music as all-time greats, but he did change music, and he really made the world a better place. I was too little to understand it, but I do remember him going to the USSR as a musical ambassador; he was that big a deal world wide.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Even when her hair is on fire, Lou is imperturbable! There, I said it.

Reaction Score
To me, this is the wrong question. It should be Lou or Paige, because that is who she is replacing. I would argue that the injury, as terrible as it was, was compensated for in three ways.
1) Lou got more minutes and came into her
own as a legitimate Pro prospect.
2) Nika got more minutes and will end her
career as another in the long line of great
UConn point guards.
3). Aubrey got more minutes and became the reincarnation of Gabby Williams.

Together, the three of them have made UConn a legitimate contender for a title. How does a 23-24 lineup of Aliijah, Aubrey, Paige, Azzi and Nika look now?! There is always an upside to every potential disaster.

Reaction Score
Azzi has the quickest release in basketball by far. She doesn't need to set her feet or need much room, and can still drain shots.

Lou has more length and is smoother off the dribble and is probably better moving and shooting, especially driving in the lane.

I think if there was a 3-point shooting contest, I would take Azzi as her shot is so pure.

I see Paige is a hybrid of those two, which makes her the best player when healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom