Who is back next year? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who is back next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm willing to see a 4th year of Facey and Brimah before rendering a final verdict, but I agree that the returns have not been great so far.

The staff didn't have a lot to work with in Olander, Nolan, Facey, and Brimah (I agree with others that DD doesn't really belong on this list -- he wasn't a post player; and Lubin isn't fair to include either), but you'd expect to see at least a little development.

Hilton Armstrong and Gavin Edwards broke out their senior year, so maybe Facey and Brimah have a chance. We'll know by December whether this staff has what it takes to develop bigs.
Facey, in my opinion, is in the best position to break out next year. Brimah is just so far behind...

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Facey, in my opinion, is in the best position to break out next year. Brimah is just so far behind...
Enoch will get double the minutes of Facey. Break out? He is all thumbs. You want to pass the ball to him down low?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Enoch will get double the minutes of Facey. Break out? He is all thumbs. You want to pass the ball to him down low?
By breaking out potential, I should have stated he has the best post moves out of the 3.

Reaction Score
By breaking out potential, I should have stated he has the best post moves out of the 3.
Huh? SE can go with either hand on post moves. He has a multitude of moves down low. Go back and watch some of the games and you will see that. He is a lot better than KF. I agree that KF is better than AB but that isn't saying much. LOL! AB has no offensive moves which is embarrassing. He is like a very poor man's Tyson Chandler.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Huh? SE can go with either hand on post moves. He has a multitude of moves down low. Go back and watch some of the games and you will see that. He is a lot better than KF. I agree that KF is better than AB but that isn't saying much. LOL! AB has no offensive moves which is embarrassing. He is like a very poor man's Tyson Chandler.
I agree with Enoch. KF has a much larger sample size though. No doubt Enoch will be the best big within 2 years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Okwandu improved a bit, especially on offensive. He was at worst serviceable as a senior.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We need Enoch and Diarra to give us good minutes.
It has been a long time since we had muscle up front.
Kansas proved the point. When I saw that even Miller was shut down.

BTW, I love Amidah and appreciate what he brings to the game. Also think he has, and continues, to improve. But he is a not muscle

Reaction Score
EH - Brimah is what he is. He just seems like the victim of expectations that are kind of oddly assigned to him. I'm not really sure why people get so hyper-ventilaty about him.

Fantastic shot blocker and a game changer defensively. Terrible hands, not the best instincts and foul-prone. Rebounding suffers because of his hands and he could stand to add beef. I def. think he's improved here, and while he's not an ELITE center, he's still pretty darn good.

I just feel like on a super athletic, mobile team like this one - his shortcomings are kind of amplified. Add some beef up front and I think the opposite comes to fruition. I'd love to see this guy with say - a Jeff Adrien/Eric Heyward type. I think the rebounding improves by default and his shot blocking becomes a monster issue for other teams. He's not a centerpiece/building block guy like a Drummond or Thabeet - but he's still a pretty good/valuable player.

Reaction Score
Voskuhl hung out in the NBA for a decade.
so did Michael Jordan. What does that have to do with my post? Unless you think voskuhl was a great scorer and that's why he's in the nb for years.

Reaction Score
Can't expect Brimah, Enoch, or Facey to get any better than what they showed this year. Maybe consistency is the key.
is this based on anything? Enoch played maybe 40 minutes all season as a freshman. Why wouldn't he improve.

Do people forget the debates about thabeet? He couldn't score, had no iq for the game, not strong enough, was a soccer player first, etc. then he played his final year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We lack the beefy big. The guy that wears you out by leaning on you all game. The guy that gets you on his hip and moves you around. Brimah is a two trick pony: a shot blocker and an alley oop guy. Facey is intriguing. He's got that sinewy strength, has a nose for the ball but is a bit of a lightweight too. He would be better playing off a big shouldered guy. Hopefully Enoch could be that guy. Our bigs don't have to score...just set good picks, clean the glass and clog the middle.

Reaction Score
Assuming everyone comes back next year...do we have an updated scholarship list?

Reaction Score
Brimah was a +24 in the AAC Tournament. He was a +7 against Colorado. And, remarkably, he was a +10 against Kansas (granted, +/- is hardly fool-proof, and the fact that his team cratered after two dumb fouls is hardly a tribute to him).

Whatever iteration of UConn was the best this season included him. @Matrim55 has done a nice job illustrating how - statistically - Brimah has improved, but I'm more concerned with his impact on the win/loss column. Early in the season, he was an integral part of the comeback efforts against Gonzaga and Maryland. He was an integral part of what was probably our best OOC performance of the season against Ohio State. Then, he got hurt, and it wasn't really until the SMU game that he got back to his old self. Looking at the stats holistically isn't necessarily going to depict the most accurate picture.

This season alone he improved tremendously as a post defender. As a rebounder, he made great strides, and as I posted back about six weeks ago, while Brimah's individual rebounding numbers leave something to be desired, we actually got worse as a team during his absence.

There is nothing - in a statistical or anecdotal sense - that would indicate his presence on the floor does anything but significantly benefit his team. For some reason, we on the boneyard are still evaluating his offensive impact based on how many points he scores when the offense improved significantly in his return from injury. There are a whole lot of programs who ask their center to screen, rim run, and crash the glass, and that's it. The fact that he sucks as a post player doesn't mean he provides no value.

Now it's important that we don't gloss over the fact that he has one glaring flaw, and that's staying on the court. His inability to stay on the court hurt us a lot this season, and it could prove fatal if he doesn't get that under control.

You watch the games, check the box scores, watch the tape...everything points towards him being a good player. I'm not saying he's without flaws, or even that he's where he needs to be for this group to achieve its potential. But I see people penciling in Enoch at starting center next season and scratch my head. I like Enoch's potential, but he's miles behind Brimah right now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brimah was a +24 in the AAC Tournament. He was a +7 against Colorado. And, remarkably, he was a +10 against Kansas (granted, +/- is hardly fool-proof, and the fact that his team cratered after two dumb fouls is hardly a tribute to him).

Whatever iteration of UConn was the best this season included him. @Matrim55 has done a nice job illustrating how - statistically - Brimah has improved, but I'm more concerned with his impact on the win/loss column. Early in the season, he was an integral part of the comeback efforts against Gonzaga and Maryland. He was an integral part of what was probably our best OOC performance of the season against Ohio State. Then, he got hurt, and it wasn't really until the SMU game that he got back to his old self. Looking at the stats holistically isn't necessarily going to depict the most accurate picture.

This season alone he improved tremendously as a post defender. As a rebounder, he made great strides, and as I posted back about six weeks ago, while Brimah's individual rebounding numbers leave something to be desired, we actually got worse as a team during his absence.

There is nothing - in a statistical or anecdotal sense - that would indicate his presence on the floor does anything but significantly benefit his team. For some reason, we on the boneyard are still evaluating his offensive impact based on how many points he scores when the offense improved significantly in his return from injury. There are a whole lot of programs who ask their center to screen, rim run, and crash the glass, and that's it. The fact that he sucks as a post player doesn't mean he provides no value.

Now it's important that we don't gloss over the fact that he has one glaring flaw, and that's staying on the court. His inability to stay on the court hurt us a lot this season, and it could prove fatal if he doesn't get that under control.

You watch the games, check the box scores, watch the tape...everything points towards him being a good player. I'm not saying he's without flaws, or even that he's where he needs to be for this group to achieve its potential. But I see people penciling in Enoch at starting center next season and scratch my head. I like Enoch's potential, but he's miles behind Brimah right now.

I made a lengthy post on this topic earlier in the year. Brimah's style of play isn't sexy. He doesn't act like the traditional center, and he doesn't look like it either. People will always find a big bruiser more appealing to watch than a 7-foot beanpole who's better from 15 feet than down in the low post. He brings a lot to the team, but in many cases they aren't things that people a) watch for, or b) want the center to be bringing to the team.

Reaction Score
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/connecticut/2016.html

This is interesting to look at. If you go down to advanced stats it looks like out defense and rebounding won't suffer much with the loss of Miller/Omar/Gibbs, but they were 3 out of the top 4 as far as offensive rating goes (not counting Nnamdi).

Another interesting note is that according to this Dham had the best defensive rating at an 89.7. It looks like a big part of that is his insane 27% defensive rebounding percentage

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I'd give anything for someone to get Brimah to keep his hands above his head the entire time he's near the basket so opposing players can't pin his arms. He'd have a gazillion offensive rebounds.

His arm length is a plus on the defensive end but a minus on the offensive end because of this.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I politely disagree with many of your points
Rebounding - if you think that gaining in rebounds from 3 to almost 4 over three years is a marked improvement than that's fine. In my opinion - if you are 7' tall and average at least 20 minutes per game, 4 rebounds should fall in your hands just by default. Rebounding takes decent hands, good footwork, the ability to box out and most importantly - jump. These are things MOST players pickup by their junior year. These are all things that are weaknesses in his game .
As a post defender one must learn when to leave your feet, how to body up against your opponent and how to keep your hands up and avoid bringing them down. All three have caused AB to pick up stupid fouls. One aspect of his game has improved - he does seem to keep his blocks in play more now
Offensively AB is nearly a non factor - how many shots within 3 feet of the basket does/did he miss? Yeah the guards miss layups but AB has shown repeatedly this year that he has no touch around that basket. I remember he has hit some 8-1- foot little jumpers but he hasn't done that this past year. He has a hard time catching any type of pass except the perfect alley-oop that he can convert but that pass better be at the right spot.
He has shown signs of what he can do - the first SMU game this year left me smiling and begging for more.
I for one do not have Enoch penciled in at that 5 spot. However, with a bit of refinement, and if AB stays at his current level, SE could very well see his minutes go up.
One thing this team lacked and cried out loud for was being able to feed the ball to a big for a finish. The team needs a 5 that can catch the ball and create some offense to take the pressure off the guards, AM, PN were unable to do this.
As a senior, in my opinion, AB should be able to handle the basics of the position. As an incoming senior, at the present time, AB cannot.
Can UConn and KO waste more time in hoping that AB produce an all around game next year? Will AB work hard and improve markedly in many areas by next October?
I would love to see the guy blossom and work his way into the NBA

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When I first saw this title I thought the OP was asking which of The Boneyarders would be back.

So I'll answer: me. DOOOOOMED!!!!! are we.

Reaction Score

Completely agree. I think Facey is just a step away from putting it together. If he can stay out of foul trouble and learn to finish, he can average a double-double next season. Also, I love the position Enoch is in. He'll be the first big off the bench next season and then the year after that he will be the starting Center. He'll get two years of experience behind these veterans and then become his own. Excited for the future of SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom