Who is back next year? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who is back next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can't expect Brimah, Enoch, or Facey to get any better than what they showed this year. Maybe consistency is the key.

Reaction Score
Brimah seems like a nice kid, anything I'm saying about him is strictly as a player. It's time to end this fascination with him and reduce his role next year.

I don't think you're attacking him as a person. I just find it hard to believe you don't think our team defense isn't better with him getting as many minutes as he can give us. Next year we could have two stalwart defenders in our starting lineup with Purv and Gilbert. Any growth defensively from Adams and Hamilton could return us to the top 5 in defensive efficiency again and hopefully some other defensive categories.

Reaction Score
We won a NC with Jake Voskuhl. Not exactly a big time scorer,
AB had foul issues in the first half which contributed to his lack of presence. Granted they were stupid fouls, it happens sometimes.
I also think there were a lot of debates on thabeets ability prior to his Final year.
AB will be fine next year. How can you root against his personality, passion, and genuine love for his team mates?

Jake could guard people physically on the low block, he could pass from the high post, he moved people and they didn't move him like a rag doll, he screened like no one else has at UConn ask Rip, KEA and Mouring. This isn't close, Jake was a very big impact albeit quietly because he understood the game and where he was supposed be on each end of the floor.

Reaction Score
Can't expect Brimah, Enoch, or Facey to get any better than what they showed this year. Maybe consistency is the key.
Brimah and Facey may be who they are at this point because their frames are so thin naturally.

But Enoch is the first top-100 broad shouldered big we've had for multiple years since AO. He was also very raw defensively this year. If he doesn't make big strides, that would look horrible on our part. I'm expecting big strides for him; he has a much easier physical profile to build off of.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
uconnstats said:
Brimah and Facey may be who they are at this point because their frames are so thin naturally.

But Enoch is the first top-100 broad shouldered big we've had for multiple years since AO. He was also very raw defensively this year. If he doesn't make big strides, that would look horrible on our part. I'm expecting big strides for him; he has a much easier physical profile to build off of.
Why Enoch? He was a freshman.
I'm not doubting Enoch. I've seen the kid play in AAU and HS, when he has a bigger role and is engaged in the game the dude balls. I doubt our frontcourt development, which has shown to be lackluster the past 4-5 years.

Facey was also a Top 100 recruit, I think on Rivals as high as 60. Enoch was in the same area. Big-men rankings don't mean anything, very few actually come in and are skilled. That is why development is a huge factor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Of course you can. Remember Chuck Okwandu? I haven't given up on Facey. It takes longer for big guys, if the light goes off he can be valuable next year.

Reaction Score
It's like the "shave and a haircut" gag from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Can't help yourself, can you mau?

Anyway, by the eye test and by advanced metrics Brimah's clearly improved. He showed it against Colorado, and didn't against Kansas. Oh well - it happens.

Can't help myself with people who actually believe he's better. Who are you by the way to say my reply to yours any and different than yours to mine? Are you the stats God so you're right about everything? I mean we both have an opinion right, leave it at that. To attack me for replying is really funny considering you and others do the same damn thing. Hilarious!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not doubting Enoch. I've seen the kid play in AAU and HS, when he has a bigger role and is engaged in the game the dude balls. I doubt our frontcourt development, which has shown to be lackluster the past 4-5 years.

Facey was also a Top 100 recruit, I think on Rivals as high as 60. Enoch was in the same area. Big-men rankings don't mean anything, very few actually come in and are skilled. That is why development is a huge factor.

Could you help me out by breaking down which players you're talking about over the last 5 years?

Are you talking about players like Drummond who left to be a stud in the NBA after 1 year at UConn? Are you talking about DeAndre Daniels who left 1 year early to go to the NBA? Are you talking about a player like Oriakhi who transferred out to Mizzou but still ended up playing pro ball? Or Roscoe Smith, a stud who transferred out to UNLV?

Or are you talking about players that we knew would only be role players, like Nolan, Facey, Olander, and Bradley?

The NCAA penalties and early NBA departures hurt us big over the last 5 years, pun intended. I'm just interested in hearing about which big you think didn't get better over time at UConn.

Reaction Score
Perhaps AB should have gone to a big boy camp last summer - a suggestion for which I got a lot of crap last year. QED.

KO needs to find a big that can play - if not, then perhaps a big bastard built like a brick shithouse, off of whom charging guards will collapse into the 3rd row of the seats with broken necks.

Reaction Score
You hit it on the head. You say he's good. I and many others think he's limited to bad. Pretty wide range.

Why can't people on here acknowledge that Brimah's a good (albeit flawed) college center, but not an elite one like Okafor and Thabeet were?

It's absolutely bizarre how polarizing he is on this board.

Reaction Score
Why can't people on here acknowledge that Brimah's a good (albeit flawed) college center, but not an elite one like Okafor and Thabeet were?

It's absolutely bizarre how polarizing he is on this board.

No one is polarizing just truthful. Why can't you admit he's not a really good college center although for now our best, that's it? That's the question. We like the guy but he is what he is and those who think he is more than just the best we have, are annoying with their blinders to me. He's a great kid, wish he was what you guys want, but he's THE most frustrating player at UConn for s long as I can remember, it's simple.

Reaction Score
What's frustrating is he is our best center. And will be again next year likely. Why haven't we been able to recruit over him and push him aside by now, like they do at KU, Duke, UK and other places.

No one is polarizing just truthful. Why can't you admit he's not a really good college center although for now our best, that's it? That's the question. We like the guy but he is what he is and those who think he is more than just the best we have, are annoying with their blinders to me. He's a great kid, wish he was what you guys want, but he's THE most frustrating player at UConn for s long as I can remember, it's simple.

H

huskymagic

Mauconn you know there is no bigger Brimah fan than myself on the boneyard, but I agree with you. However, we need to play bigger, and that means either playing Enoch with Brimah, or if Brimah isn't getting it done, Mamadou Diarra should be given more playing time as he has the motor, tenacity, finishing/catching ability, and girth for a big man. We have great talent and good options for next year, and the best players need to play without taking into account seniority. The best guys need to play whether they are freshman or seniors.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Like others have said we need to improve our front court. Enoch is the key as he needs to develop. He has the frame, talent/skill, athleticism.... just needs to improve his basketball IQ. If he can develop into a solid low post scorer and grab 6-8 rebounds a game we'll be in great shape. Honestly, if Shonn was about 2-3" taller and 20 lbs heavier he'd be a perfect 4.

Enoch could be such a key if he can adjust to the speed of the game. The mental part of understanding the game has to grow, but I also hope that he can show some better lateral quickness on D. But he could give such a boost if he can become a physical presence inside.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Could you help me out by breaking down which players you're talking about over the last 5 years?

Are you talking about players like Drummond who left to be a stud in the NBA after 1 year at UConn? Are you talking about DeAndre Daniels who left 1 year early to go to the NBA? Are you talking about a player like Oriakhi who transferred out to Mizzou but still ended up playing pro ball? Or Roscoe Smith, a stud who transferred out to UNLV?

Or are you talking about players that we knew would only be role players, like Nolan, Facey, Olander, and Bradley?

The NCAA penalties and early NBA departures hurt us big over the last 5 years, pun intended. I'm just interested in hearing about which big you think didn't get better over time at UConn.
  • Tyler Olander - one could argue he got worse.
  • Philip Nolan - outside of his low-post defense and screen setting, he has never improved throughout his tenure here.
  • Kentan Facey - became a little more aggressive, but has not made significant improvements.
  • Amida Brimah - arguably the same player he was in 2013-2014. Has not done anything to improve his game.
  • DeAndre Daniels - outside of those 6 games in 2014, he was inconsistent.
  • Rakim Lubin - didn't belong in high-major school.
This staff is one of the worst at developing front court players. By your senior year, you would expect your best big man to have some idea how to execute even a basic post move. We're not talking a ball-fake, then baseline drop step layup. We're talking backing a man down and shooting a layup. None of our big men could do that the last 2-3 years. This is a problem.

Reaction Score
I hope you are kidding on Enoch as he can definitely get better with another year learning the defense. Now KF and AB are pretty much what they are after 3 years.

Reaction Score
  • Philip Nolan - outside of his low-post defense and screen setting, he has never improved throughout his tenure here.
  • Kentan Facey - became a little more aggressive, but has not made significant improvements.
  • Amida Brimah - arguably the same player he was in 2013-2014. Has not done anything to improve his game.
This staff is one of the worst at developing front court players. By your senior year, you would expect your best big man to have some idea how to execute even a basic post move. We're not talking a ball-fake, then baseline drop step layup. We're talking backing a man down and shooting a layup. None of our big men could do that the last 2-3 years. This is a problem.
I wouldn't include DD in that analysis. Though inconsistent he had more than a 6 game spurt in 2014 were he was good. He definitely developed in his time here. I do agree on everybody else but they were all projects or reaches for us.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't include DD in that analysis. Though inconsistent he had more than a 6 game spurt in 2014 were he was good. He definitely developed in his time here. I do agree on everybody else but they were all projects or reaches for us.
He also got hurt in the 2014 season, and it took him until almost the AAC to get back into form.

Major ankle sprain January 25 vs. Rutgers, coincides with an extended slump. But he got himself back in shape for out beating against Louisville and carried it through the NCAAs.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Exactly!

Olander, Nolan, Facey, Lubin....none of those guys came here with any big expectations of them. And I'd argue that the first three names all gave us very nice games throughout their career, with Facey hopefully getting better next year. Deandre Daniels was an NBA draft pick; the idea that he didn't get developed is only in CTBasketball's mind.

The idea that Brimah has not improved only exists because there is an expectation for our big to score 15 points a night. That's not Brimah. But the dude changes everyone's shot in the lane. He will have one of the highest blocked shots totals in UConn's history, which is saying something. And the guy hits 3/4 of his free throws.

Roscoe developed, Oriakhi developed, and I am sure that Drummond would have developed if he stayed here longer than a year. So the bottom line is that the original premise of our inability to develop big men is false...

Reaction Score
One of the popular criticisms is that he only plays well when we're not facing good teams, but if he was as terrible as people claim he wouldn't be able to hold his own at any point.

It's like how earlier TasteOfUConn was going on and on about how "awful" we were as a team, despite the fact that we were still basically a borderline top 25 team in efficiency.

There can be nuance in criticism and not everyone who is less than great is the worst of all time.

Reaction Score
To those who mentioned that we won a championship with Jake Voschul at center. You need to watch games from 1999. Jake was 1 tough sob. He would have been perfect for this team. Maybe we would not have beaten Kansas with him, but they would not have had their way inside. I loved the way Jake played. He had the perfect coach for the way he played. Tough.

Reaction Score
My only gripes with Brimah are his foul trouble and him never seemin to jump for a rebound. I have never expected him to have a solid offensive game, because for one, his upper and lower body are too thin and weak to back anyone with any girth down, and two, he has no moves in the post. But, anyone who is saying he should be relegated to the bench by Enoch who has played most of his minutes looking lost on the court, is unrealistic. Brimah is a great defender and by the looks of our potential team next year, we(hopefully) wont need him to score much.

Reaction Score

I'm willing to see a 4th year of Facey and Brimah before rendering a final verdict, but I agree that the returns have not been great so far.

The staff didn't have a lot to work with in Olander, Nolan, Facey, and Brimah (I agree with others that DD doesn't really belong on this list -- he wasn't a post player; and Lubin isn't fair to include either), but you'd expect to see at least a little development.

Hilton Armstrong and Gavin Edwards broke out their senior year, so maybe Facey and Brimah have a chance. We'll know by December whether this staff has what it takes to develop bigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom