Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who are some of your favorite past UCONN players?

Reaction Score
MoJeff was so quick and fun to watch, and Nurse as I'm a hockey fan and enjoy watching other Nurses' on ice.

Reaction Score
Svet, because she was an outstanding player and had the ability, as Beemer said, to drive Geno crazy without even trying. Also liked Stacy Hansmeyer. She was the only UConn player that I remember to sing the national anthem solo before a game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For me, Kelly, Jamelle, and Saniya. Kelly and Jamelle for similar reasons -- they just wanted it badder than anyone else. (I'm confident that Nika will be my favorite alumna when she graduates.) Saniya is completely different. She came in as a scorer and was Parade Player of the Year and kind of got lost. But she never wavered, didn't transfer, became a starter her senior year and had a big impact on a team that played way better than anyone ever expected. And she got drafted and played a couple of years in the W. No idea where she is now.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
1. Jamelle Elliott- who I would have modeled my game after if I had been a basketball player. No nonsense, just get the job done to the best of your ability every time you are on the court. No excuses made, none tolerated.
2. Svetlana Abrosimova- it took a lot of courage and determination for her to come to UConn and she was so much fun to watch. Also, I loved the way she made Geno's head explode at times ;)
3. Nika Muhl- I just love the way she plays. Whenever she steps on the court you just know something is going to happen.

There are others but those are my top 3.
Jamelle.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
two players come to my mind ... not 'favorites' (there are too many possibilities) but kids i find particularly admirable. starters, but not stars. background players.

but both really 'stepped up' when it most counted: rita williams, maria conlan.

i remember rita, a really nice guard, taking over when nykesha went down with an achilles injury-- ending her brilliant career. rita was a good player, but for her to so effectively lead the team after that devastating loss was incredible.

and maria, oft maligned by some 'insightful' fans, just did what was needed, swish open 3s at critical points, actually successfully get a rare 2 in the lane, and somehow make a defensive stop despite being 'slow' (and short) ... all the while being D's sidekick guard, always playing in her huge shadow.

Reaction Score
Svet, because she was an outstanding player and had the ability, as Beemer said, to drive Geno crazy without even trying. Also liked Stacy Hansmeyer. She was the only UConn player that I remember to sing the national anthem solo before a game.
Maya sang it with Kaili McLaren, too.

Reaction Score
Caroline Doty, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Stacy Hansmeyer and Nika is fast becoming one to add to my all time favorites NOT on UConn's Mt Rushmore!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Svet. As Geno once said when miked up for a game “those damn Europeans” when Svet didn run the correct play. Also at a Championship dinner at the Aqua Turf, Geno got booed by everyone when he said “ I have to keep it short because Svet had to get the dress (she was wearing )back to the cocktail waitress at Foxwoods” . Even the women at our table said WOW.

Reaction Score
So many over the years (for me since Rebecca Lobo), but if I had to go with one it would be Phee. Played as an undersized post for years, hustled every minute, never seemed disgruntled and, although an all American, I don’t think she ever gets the credit she deserves. Probably because her only natty was as a freshman. Real close for me are Paige, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse and Nika.

Reaction Score
My favorites include some popular choices, like Svet, Gabby, and Phee. Also Renee and a slew of unsung or lesser known guards - Rita Wiiliams, Ketia Swanier, and Kennitra Johnson. Oh, and Tiffany Hayes.

Reaction Score
Gabby is my favorite player ever, but I loved Kia too, and heck the current crew, boy they are something.

Attachments

• AirGabby.jpg
    AirGabby.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Kia & Gabby.jpg
    Kia & Gabby.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 78
Reaction Score
My top 5: Shea, Maya, Pheesa, Mosqueda-Lewis & Tina
HM: Rita, Berube ... Saylor

Reaction Score
So many over the years (for me since Rebecca Lobo), but if I had to go with one it would be Phee. Played as an undersized post for years, hustled every minute, never seemed disgruntled and, although an all American, I don’t think she ever gets the credit she deserves. Probably because her only natty was as a freshman. Real close for me are Paige, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse and Nika.
I'm a little surprised that there have only been a few mentions of Collier.

My entire family has been UCONN WBB fans since '93. My daughters grew up idolizing the players. They were teenagers when Taurasi led the team up the mountain twice after Sue and Swin's class left and so the call, TAURASI! rang out whenever one of them would hit a basket in the yard here. The number 3 jersey still hangs in their old bedroom and so they were stunned when I told them that after following the team closely for all these years my absolute all-time favorite player is Napheesa.

As Darkstar pointed out she got more from her frame than any other player I've ever seen play the game. Is she UCONN's greatest player? No. We can discuss just which four of our all time greats get chisled in stone and admittedly she wouldn't be one of them, but if you want to be impressed with how the game should be played for every minute that a player is on the court watch the replays of the '17 season and you'll see what the greatest team not to win a championship did every night with Collier never taking a breather while she was standing on the court,

She was relentless, moving constantly and outplaying bigger more heralded players. I've liked many players who were not the biggest name on a given team (Ashley Battle comes to mind) but I've never been more entertained or impressed by a player game in and game out than I have been with Pheesa.

Reaction Score
Marissa Jaye - one day after practice in 1986, as the men trickled on to the court in the Field House for their practice, the astoundingly well built Willie McCloud walked on to the court. Marissa turned to me and asked if I had ever felt Willie’s thighs !! She seemed very disappointed when I assured her I had not !!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Carla Berube- Calm and collected with Ice water in her veins.
Svetlana Abrosimova- She didn't come to America to pass the ball.
Tina Charles- She didn't get enough hugs from Geno.
Steph Dolson- Great passer, with a little attitude.
Moria Jefferson- One of our greatest PGs. Always fun to watch.
Nika Muhl- What can you say that hasn't already been said? Love her.

Many, many more.

Reaction Score
There are so many players I just loved to watch over the years that naming them all would wear my typing thumb to a nub. So I'll just give one group shout-out. The TASSK force was such a pleasure to watch. A true force of nature. Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones, Sue Bird, Swin Cash and Kiersten Walters. Kiersten only had one healthy year so it was mostly the TASS force. They just dominated, game after game after game. What a team that was!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom