Whitmer Supporters | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Whitmer Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't have time to explain how this football thingy works but ill give you a hot tip that you can by all means use when you see fit. No team I repeat NO TEAM is going to quadruple cover a receiver, that is just poor tactics so it is possible there was something else going on. Possibly something called a zone coverage where the defenders can collapse down on a receiver when I becomes evident that he is the target of that particular offensive play. Thus making some people think that a DC is stupid enough to put 4 defenders on one wide receiver leaving 7 defenders to cover the remaining 10 offensive players. Now that my friend is just bad math.

Holy Christ! YES OF COURSE IT WAS ZONE COVERAGE!!! But who the hell do you think was in his zone??? The fact that he had 4 around him means that AT LEAST ONE OF THEM WAS A LINEBACKER!!! That, by definition, means they were NOT STACKING THE BOX!!! Try to keep up...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sober and rational. And I never said Whitmer didn't miss throws. But if you think him leading the team in rushing at 29 yards isn't a huge part of the problem then I don't know what to tell you.

I never even said Whitmer looked good out there. Just that we have a lot more to correct.

Did Diaco disagree with that?

OK, but consider for a moment whether the fact that we can't run the ball stems from a defensive decision that the QB can't beat them? Because I think it does in significant part. Nobody is doing anything while Whitmer is at QB but bringing everything to the line. He's nervous and jumpy, so by bringing the house they make him make mistakes. They have everyone up, so the run game is hindered as well. He's just too easy to defend because they don't respect his ability to throw down field. The draw to Max was one of the few good plays and exploited the aggressive D.

My worry with Boyle, is that due to his inexperience, teams will do the same. If he can burn them downfield, then suddenly those backs will find room to run. That's where this team is right now. Even Casey didn't scare anybody against BYU, but he presented at least something of a threat.

Reaction Score
I'm sober and rational. And I never said Whitmer didn't miss throws. But if you think him leading the team in rushing at 29 yards isn't a huge part of the problem then I don't know what to tell you.

I never even said Whitmer looked good out there. Just that we have a lot more to correct.

Did Diaco disagree with that?

You said Whitmer missed a few throws as if that wasn't the biggest reason we were struggling against SB on offense. Your threads were put as if the biggest reason we struggled was because the o-line played poor. Even Diaco doesn't put the blame on the o-line. When you stack the line against an in-experience o-line the RB's aren't going to get much yards. We were basically forced to pass most of the time and Whitmer struggled with accuracy, which was the issue on offense. Did WR's drop a few balls sure, but the balls were not pretty either. To me the offense as a whole wasn't the issue it was Whitmer who struggled that was the issue. IDC if some feel that im being hard on Whitmer, he hasn't shown me anything in 2yrs plus the first 2 games of this season, so im just done with him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Casey was in pads today. I don't think that anyone thought he was going to see the field today, but that is not the look of someone that is "done for the year." If you bring in Boyle to play only 1 game and burn his redshirt, against Stony Brook, then I would have some serious questions for Diaco...
Obviously you couldn't bring him in for stony brook. If anything this should be the end of the 2 qb system

Reaction Score
Oh jeez. Come down off your high horse for a moment. So I'm behaving in a manner unbefitting a good fan because I point out that the starting QB is playing terrible? "Whitmer Supporters" know who they are. Those that believed for some strange reason that he gave us a shot at winning 6 games. A few people made this argument this week and now I want to hear them defend that position after watching him today.

What I've heard in response is one obnoxious poster trying to convince us that the line is more to blame and insulting anyone who disagrees (laugh). And now you being holier than thou instead of simply talking football.

You do know that's it possible to not be a "Whitmer supporter" and at same time thinking it's best for the program to RS Boyle, right?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm a Whitmer supporter.

I'm a Whitmer supporter primarily because I'm a UConn supporter. It never ceases to amaze me how many UConn supporters behave in a fashion that doesn't support UConn. I'm also a Cochran supporter, for full disclosure. And there would be no way in hell that I would support playing Cochran if he had a concussion today, no matter how bad of a game Whitmer had. And giving Boyle an extra year separation from Cochran is the right thing to do.

Now, if people really want something to chew on, I want to know how on earth our team averaged 2.2 yard per carry and 88 total yards on the ground against an FCS team. Answer that question, and then we will have identified the biggest issue in my mind...
+100.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Holy Christ! YES OF COURSE IT WAS ZONE COVERAGE!!! But who the hell do you think was in his zone??? The fact that he had 4 around him means that AT LEAST ONE OF THEM WAS A LINEBACKER!!! That, by definition, means they were NOT STACKING THE BOX!!! Try to keep up...
Ahhh I have now seen the light, how could I have been so blind. Well have fun yelling at the tv the rest of the night I'm going to spend time with my family. DUECES!

Reaction Score
The most important thing for this year is to do whatever makes the games watchable for the fanbase. I stayed till the end today and was waiting for the offense to put the game away which they could not do. Realizing how hard we were struggling with an FCS team made me wonder how we were going to attract fans to the games. Today was not the day to play Boyle and if Casey returns then this move won't need to be considered. At issue with Whitmer was not only the long throws but even on short ones the ball was off target enough to make the receiver look helpless to make a play for the ball. It is the speed of decision making that is a struggle so any pressure results in play breakdown or inaccurate throws. If Casey can start next week he should and there should be no QB platooning.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ahhh I have now seen the light, how could I have been so blind. Well have fun yelling at the tv the rest of the night I'm going to spend time with my family. DUECES!

I'm glad I could help... ;)

Reaction Score
I wanted him to do well today for the sake of the program and that just didn't happen.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I wanted him to do well today for the sake of the program and that just didn't happen.
And for the sake of him... he's had plenty of chances to rewrite his story though...

Reaction Score
I disagree. Boyle can't be worse. If Cochran is shelved, getting reps for Boyle is the best thing we can do. Whitmer is not capable of leading this team to 6 wins so what's the point of playing him?

Oh please. A UConn football fan shouldn't have the phrase "can't be worse" in their vocabulary. Why can't it be worse? P was worse. Conference realignment was worse. Yes, Boyle could be worse. If CC is done for the year, and if Boyle is better than CW, we'll see him by USF. But based on what I saw last year those are both huge ifs.

Reaction Score
I hate when ONE certain person sets this up as Devil & Angels.

It used to be the Edsallistas. Now he's determined to outline a separation of "Whitmer Supporters" and the more knowledgeable football fans.

It's just not that urgent - IMHO - to play Boyle. I do think this coaching staff should have a clear view why Cochran stands out.

Reaction Score
At some point the team needs to count on the coach not reacting too quickly or too slowly on personnel decisions. Omar was the starter last year for the boys but by the end of the season had Giffey starting and Samuel getting minutes and no Omar. Can not give up on this year's team, owe seniors, other players a chance to win. CC was 3rd choice last year, overweight and still performed the best. Not sure why if Whitmer continues to perform like this, no Casey and still have 6 to 8 games left why wouldn't give Boyle a shot. If coaches can't tell by watching practice if Boyle does or doesn't have a shot at performing better than Whitmer; have bigger issues.

Reaction Score
I hate when ONE certain person sets this up as Devil & Angels.

It used to be the Edsallistas. Now he's determined to outline a separation of "Whitmer Supporters" and the more knowledgeable football fans.

It's just not that urgent - IMHO - to play Boyle. I do think this coaching staff should have a clear view why Cochran stands out.

There are a handful of people that believed Whitmer should be the starter because he gives us a better chance to win more games this year. I wanted to hear THOSE people defend that belief. If you think I've made some conscious effort to separate the fan base that's on you.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agreed. Our O-Line got manhandled by a FCS D-Line. The number of unblocked defenders getting into the backfield was embarrassing. Where were the holes for the running game everyone here wants us to run all the time??
This..............

Until the offensive line is fixed we could put Dan Marino at QB and it still wouldn't matter.

Reaction Score
I don't care if they had 11 in the box. They are an FCS program. We should be able to line up and control the line of scrimmage.

Whitmer missed wide open guys. Guys dropped passes. Guys stopped running their routs (McQuillan on the long pass), the o-line missed blocks. The running backs have given up two fumbles leading to 14 points off turnovers. The offense needs a lot of work. Not just Whitmer. He isn't playing well, but outside of Davis and Newsome, not many of them are playing very well.

It's ironic that Palatine brought up Towson and Whitmer's performance against them last year because our o-line couldn't control the line of scrimmage against them either.

But yeah, replace Whitmer with Boyle, who played worse, and everything will be just fine.

I'm not happy with his play. But I'm equally disappointed with just about everyone else on offense except Davis.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This....

Until the offensive line is fixed we could put Dan Marino at QB and it still wouldn't matter.
I don't think it's quite that bad, the OL will hopefully continue to progress from last year. (I'm crossing my fingers that today was a bump on the road). If we had a veteran backup (other than CW) you'd obviously put him in. But we don't. If Casey can't play at all I do think we will see Boyle this year, just not starting vs. Boise State.

Reaction Score
The most important thing for this year is to do whatever makes the games watchable for the fanbase. I stayed till the end today and was waiting for the offense to put the game away which they could not do. Realizing how hard we were struggling with an FCS team made me wonder how we were going to attract fans to the games. Today was not the day to play Boyle and if Casey returns then this move won't need to be considered. At issue with Whitmer was not only the long throws but even on short ones the ball was off target enough to make the receiver look helpless to make a play for the ball. It is the speed of decision making that is a struggle so any pressure results in play breakdown or inaccurate throws. If Casey can start next week he should and there should be no QB platooning.
Not disagreeing with you. We will attract fans depending on who we play. Last year we were manhandled by Towson and we should have beat Michigan - with CW at QB. Who would have thought we had any chance to beat Mich.

Reaction Score
There are a handful of people that believed Whitmer should be the starter because he gives us a better chance to win more games this year. I wanted to hear THOSE people defend that belief. If you think I've made some conscious effort to separate the fan base that's on you.

Over Boyle yes. Because if we suck, why waste another redshirt year on him when we will still suck. And you don't want to talk about any of the other issues with the offense. You just ignore them all and focus on Whitmer.

I've never said he should start over Cochran. I'd rather Cochran get healthy and play, and I think the talk about his career is premature. Our starting QB had had concussion problems too and he's still out there.

Your argument is "we can't get worse with Boyle". That is nonsense. The only reason Cochran played last year is because Boyle was worse than Whitmer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It seems people are worried about his redshirt? Seriously?

If UConn hasn't come up with a better quarterback for 2017 than is in the roster now God bless this program.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The reality is we just have bad QB's, im sorry but Chandler or Casey are both equal in terms of talent and how far they can take this team. It might be time for burning that redshirt for Boyle and making him the starter for better or worse because the kid is going to be around for years to come. Starting Whitmer does us no good for the future, and its not really doing the team any good now. We "beat" Stony Brook by the skin of our teeth today, what do you think Boise State's D is going to do against a weak O-line and average to below average QB next week??

Reaction Score
Didn't we set up a touchdown with a screen and short pass. Was pleading for it and it worked. Then we never saw it again.
Whitmer's fumble in first half was on a screen play where the guard didn't get enough of a rusher before moving to the flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom