Whitmer Supporters | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Whitmer Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some people have called me a Whitmer supporter based on my lack of "all-in"-ness on Cochran. I have to say... Whitmer did not play well today as a passer. He had some nice rushes, but overall... yeah. No pocket presence. Aside from that TD pass to G. Davis, he has no touch... it was an ugly game. Not just for him. For everyone. But if Diaco thinks Boyle gives us the best chance to win games... okay, sure. Take off the redshirt. Otherwise, I don't know. This offense has so many issues it's hard to pin it on one guy, no matter how much he's not helping.

Reaction Score
Both Chandler and Whitmer were bad today. Missed a ton of open WR's.

What was irritating was listening to Diaco and Whitmer after the game. Whitmer said he had fun and Diaco was not even phased that we beat Stony brook by 3. We stunk. Fox saved the game.

If I were the coach I would have flipped out.

Best news all day is me not having heard that. Neither should have been satisfied with the performance, starting with the long-sleeved shirt! Chandler has not progressed, our o-line has a long way to go, and the play-calling was questionable at best. Again, Chandler works hard but he is not the guy. Casey's injury leaves us in a tough spot. Even though I believe Tim would benefit from reps and produce at a slightly better level with a great upside I hesitate to throw him in with a shaky front 5. But watching a senior zone in on one reciever then miss his only option got old a long time ago.

Reaction Score
The reason SB was in the backfield most of the game is because they didn't respect the pass, they were gonna stack the box and force us to beat them through the air and we didn't.

I wonder why nobody thought of that against Donald Brown, Jordan Todman, Andre Dixon, or every Randy Edsall coached team after Dan Orlovsky?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
A few things.

1. The O-Line was pushed around by Stony Brook. No time in the pocket, no holes created for the RB's, etc. When I saw a pocket created, it collapsed within 1-2 seconds. Very rarely did the O-Line overwhelm Stony Brook's front. The only few times it did were during Valley's and Max's big gains. It was like holding back the flood gates with swiss cheese and paper towels. Not gonna work.
  2. I want to credit Whitmer's inaccurate arm to lack of protection, but his most wild throws were when the pocket was somewhat stable. Whitmer just doesn't have it. I think if we had even an average QB, it would have been a 2 TD game.
  3. Valley is the future. Had some miscues, but he has the best football instincts out of anyone.
  4. Puyol looked good...
  5. Whitmer was our leading rusher. Our rush heavy identity is a distant memory. We're pretending we're a smash-mouth team when we haven't been one in 4 years. Whitmer looked decent on the runs, but if the O-Line run blocked well, Max would have had over 50 yards easily.
  6. Receivers dropped balls everywhere.
  7. Secondary was bad. SB carved us up in the second half.
  8. The front looked OK. Decent pressure, and good run stop. Yet again, we're playing SB. Not a big accomplishment.
In conclusion, I think we have the pieces to still make a bowl game, 6-6 or 7-6. Nothing more. But it definitely can go much much worse.

Reaction Score
I think we should install the west coast offense the Giants are using. But seriously, we need to try the short game, 3 step drops, slants. We are not getting it done consistently throwing down field. You still need to do it, just not as much. How many screens did we throw today?

Didn't we set up a touchdown with a screen and short pass. Was pleading for it and it worked. Then we never saw it again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wonder why nobody thought of that against Donald Brown, Jordan Todman, Andre Dixon, or every Randy Edsall coached team after Dan Orlovsky?

Well, it's also because it isn't true. I remember vividly that the first throw from Whitmer to Davis was completed in between 4 defenders. 4. I almost crapped myself. At that point, I thought Whitmer was going to have an awesome day (that didn't work out). But I said to myself, "They can't even cover Davis with FOUR players!" So the idea that they kept everyone in the box is just not true...

Reaction Score
Yeah sure he's "fast" but there are so many times where he has a chance tuck and run for decent gains but chucks it away or looks to get out of bounds instead. His composure/decision making is sad.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The reason SB was in the backfield most of the game is because they didn't respect the pass, they were gonna stack the box and force us to beat them through the air and we didn't. If you remove Davis from the box score whitmer would have had 30 passing yards. That's atrocious, defenses are going to start doubling Davis and force our secondary receivers to make plays and as they showed today they aren't capable. If they can't get something going through the air aside from Davis we are in big trouble.

Couldn't agree more. Davis really is a one-man show out there and that doesn't bode well for us for the rest of this season.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
play calling checklist:
1 - can we block it?
2 - can we make the throw?

probably not dealing with a robust playbook at that point....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Didn't we set up a touchdown with a screen and short pass. Was pleading for it and it worked. Then we never saw it again.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we need to mix up a little more of the "short game" in the playcalling. Get our playmakers the ball early and often. Simplify the game and take away the constant need for pocket presence, which Whitmer struggles with. I'm surprised we haven't gone this route a lot more, with either QB...

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Well, it's also be:/cause it isn't true. I remember vividly that the first throw from Whitmer to Davis was completed in between 4 defenders. 4. I almost crapped myself. At that point, I thought Whitmer was going to have an awesome day (that didn't work out). But I said to myself, "They can't even cover Davis with FOUR players!" So the idea that they kept everyone in the box is just not true...
Do you know where the box is? because there wasn't a defender lined up more than 5-7 yards off the LOS the entire game. You can still stack the box and have defensive backs or "players" as you call them cover the wideouts.

Reaction Score
That's because there is yet another inept OC.

It was a screen then a run both by Max. Then a nice TD pass. They were loading the box all half and blitzing but our coaches couldn't figure a way to make them pay.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm a Whitmer supporter.

I'm a Whitmer supporter primarily because I'm a UConn supporter. It never ceases to amaze me how many UConn supporters behave in a fashion that doesn't support UConn. I'm also a Cochran supporter, for full disclosure. And there would be no way in hell that I would support playing Cochran if he had a concussion today, no matter how bad of a game Whitmer had. And giving Boyle an extra year separation from Cochran is the right thing to do.

Now, if people really want something to chew on, I want to know how on earth our team averaged 2.2 yard per carry and 88 total yards on the ground against an FCS team. Answer that question, and then we will have identified the biggest issue in my mind...
You're taking the question to literally, I support the program completely. The question really is do you support him being this teams qb anymore? Of course I'll root for him while he's in, but I'm not saying I'm opposed to change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you guys think Whitmer is the problem with this offense you don't know $#17 about football.

Whitmer struggled, yes. He missed a few wide open guys. He also made some plays with his feet. The long pass too McQuillan wasn't his fault. McQuillan, BTW, dropped another first down pass today. McQuillan stopped his route and that's why the ball looked overthrown.

But this o-line still can't pass protect or run block. Whitmer has to get better, but so do the guys around him.

And...

44%, 0 TDs, 8 INTs. I've seen Boyle, if the coaches play him I'll root for him, but there is zero reason to think this team will be any better with him at QB.

Then I guess Diaco doesn't know shiet about football either... this comes from Diaco;

“I have to watch the tape because it’s a mosh pit in there. But, what happens is they are really packed in and, shortly after the snap, there are 10 guys standing near or at the line of scrimmage. It’s going to be tough sledding in there. What you saw was we got wide open guys running down the field and through the middle of the zones. We connected on a few of them, that was the difference and we missed a bunch of them and it’s feat or famine.”

He also doesn't blame the o-line for poor performance, per Silver;

He wouldn’t lay the blame on the offensive line, and cited chances in the passing game that weren’t completed that could have opened things up.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/defense-bails-out-huskies/

Exactly what I said earlier. If it wasn't for Whitmer this would of been a different game. Kid over through WR's all game.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do you know where the box is? because there wasn't a defender lined up more than 5-7 yards off the LOS the entire game. You can still stack the box and have defensive backs or "players" as you call them cover the wideouts.

Apparently, you don't understand that if Davis was covered by 4, then our other wide receiver must have been covered by...nobody??? And since they can only put 11 on the field on defense, tell me again how many were in the box? "Stacking the box" means at least 7 in the box, and sometimes 8. I'm glad you're good with the math...

EDIT: I can't find a definition of "stacking the box" with only 7. It's always 8 or more. So your math is even worse...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We ran another screen later to Newsome but it was shut down.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You're taking the question to literally, I support the program completely. The question really is do you support him being this teams qb anymore? Of course I'll root for him while he's in, but I'm not saying I'm unposed to change.

I thought that I was already clear in my answer, but if I wasn't, then my answer is "Yes, I still support him being this team's QB." I gave the reasons of not wanting to play a concussed QB, nor wanting to burn the redshirt of a QB that is likely to become our future in Boyle; to give him an extra year of separation between him and Casey.

I guess what I'm looking for is for the people who are killing him in this thread to tell me why it's a much smarter move to put Boyle in at this point and burn his year, if in fact Casey is wearing pads and will apparently be back in the near future? I'm willing to listen to a reasoned argument defending that, if anyone has one...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I thought that I was already clear in my answer, but if I wasn't, then my answer is "Yes, I still support him being this team's QB." I gave the reasons of not wanting to play a concussed QB, nor wanting to burn the redshirt of a QB that is likely to become our future in Boyle; to give him an extra year of separation between him and Casey.

I guess what I'm looking for is for the people who are killing him in this thread to tell me why it's a much smarter move to put Boyle in at this point and burn his year, if in fact Casey is wearing pads and will apparently be back in the near future? I'm willing to listen to a reasoned argument defending that, if anyone has one...
Mainly because we need to win, at all costs. If Boyle is the best qb you play him, end of story. That being said we don't even know if he's any good right now, probably why he's redshirting.

Reaction Score
Then I guess Diaco doesn't know shiet about football either... this comes from Diaco;

“I have to watch the tape because it’s a mosh pit in there. But, what happens is they are really packed in and, shortly after the snap, there are 10 guys standing near or at the line of scrimmage. It’s going to be tough sledding in there. What you saw was we got wide open guys running down the field and through the middle of the zones. We connected on a few of them, that was the difference and we missed a bunch of them and it’s feat or famine.”

He also doesn't blame the o-line for poor performance, per Silver;

He wouldn’t lay the blame on the offensive line, and cited chances in the passing game that weren’t completed that could have opened things up.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/defense-bails-out-huskies/

Exactly what I said earlier. If it wasn't for Whitmer this would of been a different game. Kid over through WR's all game.

I'm sober and rational. And I never said Whitmer didn't miss throws. But if you think him leading the team in rushing at 29 yards isn't a huge part of the problem then I don't know what to tell you.

I never even said Whitmer looked good out there. Just that we have a lot more to correct.

Did Diaco disagree with that?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Apparently, you don't understand that if Davis was covered by 4, then our other wide receiver must have been covered by...nobody??? And since they can only put 11 on the field on defense, tell me again how many were in the box? "Stacking the box" means at least 7 in the box, and sometimes 8. I'm glad you're good with the math...
I don't have time to explain how this football thingy works but ill give you a hot tip that you can by all means use when you see fit. No team I repeat NO TEAM is going to quadruple cover a receiver, that is just poor tactics so it is possible there was something else going on. Possibly something called a zone coverage where the defenders can collapse down on a receiver when I becomes evident that he is the target of that particular offensive play. Thus making some people think that a DC is stupid enough to put 4 defenders on one wide receiver leaving 7 defenders to cover the remaining 10 offensive players. Now that my friend is just bad math.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Mainly because we need to win, at all costs. If Boyle is the best qb you play him, end of story. That being said we don't even know if he's any good right now, probably why he's redshirting.

Keep in mind that Casey was in pads today. I don't think that anyone thought he was going to see the field today, but that is not the look of someone that is "done for the year." If you bring in Boyle to play only 1 game and burn his redshirt, against Stony Brook, then I would have some serious questions for Diaco...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom