Whitmer has proven himself | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whitmer has proven himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Whitmer. It's too hard to gauge his play given that the Wildcat and the bad Oline play have been so disruptive.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Whitmer. It's too hard to gauge his play given that the Wildcat and the bad Oline play have been so disruptive.

Maybe so, but the deliberations have taken a positive turn.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but the deliberations have taken a positive turn.

I think so too. But a bunch of that yardage was the underneath stuff. And it is a MAC defense.

It doesn't seem like he makes bad throws, really they just seem like bad decisions. That's more correctable IMO.

Reaction Score
This was an awful defense. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. My bigger issue is that, in the first half, we got conservative after the first mistake when we knew that the WMU defense could be lit up through the air.

I disagree with the notion that the game would not have been as close had Carder not gotten hurt. At the time he was hurt he was 7 for his last 17 (after starting off really hot), and we had stopped them on 4 of the previous 5 possessions. The defense appeared to have adjusted.

We lost because we dug ourselves a huge hole. We got down 17-0 because, apparently, we hadn't bothered to review the film from last year, on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
Can anybody remember the last time we had a WR that caught nearly 10 balls and over 100 yards receiving in a single game? Anybody? at the BCS level? Honestly, the obvious and ONLY one is Marcus Easley... but the last year in year out consistent WR we've had you'd have to go back to the FCS days ( Dak Newton??? Norwalk, CT's own )

Yes, I recall Kashif Moore had 8 catches for 112 yards and 2 TD's in LAST YEARS western michigan game.

Also J Mac threw for over 300 yards in that game as well and we know how the rest of the year turned out.

Something to think about before everyone gets all excited.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason it is difficult to judge Whitmer is that the play calling has been, to be charitable, strange. he was 10/16 against Maryland all dink and dunk stuff, mostly on3rd and long...that's pretty tough to evaluate. NCState was similar...we threw more but not a lot of aggressive stuff. he has been over 55 % completion rate in every game...mostly over 60%. all good things. And he looks in command much more than JMac. And the o-line seems to like to do a fair amount of lookout blocking, which doesn't help...I mean 6 sacks... so I have hopes that by season's end we'll be looking at the best passer we've had in a while.

Reaction Score
It's hard to get into a rhythm when your coach pulls you out every time you make a good play.

The second half against WMU might have been the only time this season he was allowed to be consistent. WMU's defense isn't all that, but you have to start somewhere.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
but you have to start somewhere.

That is the crazy part to me... I got perspective on this earlier this year than many, after NC State.

Whitmer is a RS Frosh, and he is improving.
The players all want it, they don't like to lose.
Our armchair discussions of past and future match ups are just hot air.

I am going to tailgate, have a drink, watch them play and cheer for them until the last second of the season is gone.

...Then hope they all graduate, and lead productive lives. {takes another drink of sterno}

Reaction Score
That is the crazy part to me... I got perspective on this earlier this year than many, after NC State.

Whitmer is a RS Frosh, and he is improving.
The players all want it, they don't like to lose.
Our armchair discussions of past and future match ups are just hot air.

I am going to tailgate, have a drink, watch them play and cheer for them until the last second of the season is gone.

...Then hope they all graduate, and lead productive lives. {takes another drink of sterno}

Yup, it should have started with UMass, but we wanted to play musical QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom