Whitmer has proven himself | The Boneyard

Whitmer has proven himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
28/44 for 333 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT. A truly impressive performance.

I'm pretty sure half of his 16 incomplete passes hit our receivers in the hands. Some nice catches and overall signs of life from the receivers (particularly Davis), but still far too many drops on catchable balls. The o-line wasn't exactly consistent in giving Whitmer time either - he was under pressure all day, but hung in there and made a number of strong passes as he was getting hit.

A throw-first offense makes McCombs a much more effective back because it opens up space for him to maneuver. He is a quick, shifty, intelligent runner -- not a power back. Going to the air more should actually make our ground game more effective.

Lastly, this game proves the folly of the random wildcat playcalling. No problem if we want to run a series or two out of the wildcat in the redzone occasionally, but today we got to see what the offense can look like when it is allowed to develop a rhythm. That is what we should be looking to replicate the rest of the way. All in all, a disappointing day, but very good signs at the QB position.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I couldn't have said it better myself. Give this kid all of the reps, and we will reap the benefits. That's what I saw today. And I think the receivers will get better from that as well...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Agree 1o0% as well. My only hope is that he becomes a little more comfortable in the pocket. There are still a few times that he seems to tuck and run too soon. However, today I saw him hang in the pocket better. Took a few shots but got the completions. His throws were solid looking and seemed to be on target. Was not happy to see the dropseys return to the WR corps. Hopefully that will disappear and Whitmer opens it up and we hang 50+ on Buffalo.

Reaction Score
28/44 for 333 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT. A truly impressive performance.

I'm pretty sure half of his 16 incomplete passes hit our receivers in the hands. Some nice catches and overall signs of life from the receivers (particularly Davis), but still far too many drops on catchable balls. The o-line wasn't exactly consistent in giving Whitmer time either - he was under pressure all day, but hung in there and made a number of strong passes as he was getting hit.

A throw-first offense makes McCombs a much more effective back because it opens up space for him to maneuver. He is a quick, shifty, intelligent runner -- not a power back. Going to the air more should actually make our ground game more effective.

Lastly, this game proves the folly of the random wildcat playcalling. No problem if we want to run a series or two out of the wildcat in the redzone occasionally, but today we got to see what the offense can look like when it is allowed to develop a rhythm. That is what we should be looking to replicate the rest of the way. All in all, a disappointing day, but very good signs at the QB position.

I agree. Whitmer played well and the 1 interception appears to have been a result of a misunderstanding, rather than a bad throw.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, he's a talented QB. The passing offense needs a lot of work still but they should focus on it and develop it. We have to use the passing game to open up the running game, spread the defenders a little.

The turnovers cost us this game and you've got to think that devoting more time to the passing game will cut down on the mistakes that lead to the turnovers.

Re the running game, I'm sorry, but if you can't run for 100 yards against Western Michigan, the running game can't be the primary offensive weapon.

Reaction Score
I couldn't have said it better myself. Give this kid all of the reps, and we will reap the benefits. That's what I saw today. And I think the receivers will get better from that as well...

Very good point about the receivers. If our WRs are given the chance to make big plays (rather than just carrying out perimeter blocking), I would expect they will develop relatively quickly. Remember how Marcus Easley basically came out of nowhere once we actually started throwing the ball to him.

Reaction Score
He knows he's proven himself. Now it's up to, ahem, the coaches to follow through.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Kid is the real deal who else you gonna go to?gonna have qb situation I don't think so, gonna take time for guys to feel his rhythm.

Reaction Score
Glad to see we do have a passing game... but remember guys... eerily similar to last year... We were able to throw against them (when we couldn't throw against anybody else too good, but still lost). Jury's still out IMO...

Side note: Geremy Davis is our new #1 WR... CLEARLY...

Reaction Score
Per usual, Whitmer gets a pass for two turnovers that essentially cost us 10-14 points. Phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Per usual, Whitmer gets a pass for two turnovers that essentially cost us 10-14 points. Phenomenal.
Would you rather have him or Mac lead the way on offense?

Reaction Score
He doesn't throw a deep ball with any semblance of accuracy, his footwork needs work, and he locks onto a receiver (not a problem v. a weak MAC secondary, but will be problematic in BE play).

But . . . we have something here. I said after the NC State game that I want to see incremental improvement. And since that game, we have.

Reaction Score
Can anybody remember the last time we had a WR that caught nearly 10 balls and over 100 yards receiving in a single game? Anybody? at the BCS level? Honestly, the obvious and ONLY one is Marcus Easley... but the last year in year out consistent WR we've had you'd have to go back to the FCS days ( Dak Newton??? Norwalk, CT's own )

Reaction Score
Keron Henry had a nice year with DanO, I wanna say he had 800 yds and about 65 Catches.

Reaction Score
What an impressive game by a uconn quarterback to Stand in the pocket and deliver. He took many big hits because he stayed to make the throw. Totally awesome!! He is not afraid to run into linebackers. What a tough kid.

I realize many of u thought you were going to see instant offense in his first year but if he stays together with this offense I see good things. If he can do this in his third 1a game I think junior and senior year will be big.

Reaction Score
A passing offense that doesn't rely on run first. Should have thought of that sooner. Oh wait . . .

Reaction Score
Championships? How about winning ballgames. 5-7 last year and 2-2 thus far.

Yep, I understand that. What about our explosive passing games when we won 2 BE championships?

We need a passing game, we all get it. We don't need the run and shoot.

Reaction Score
Thinking maybe they do.

We agree to disagree. If I could choose an O, it would be Patriots short intermediate offense (with heavy emphasis on tight ends to eploit mismatches) with a little more running (involving pulling lineman - inside trap, counter tre, toss sweep).

I think we both agree that this O is not working out to well.

Reaction Score
The comeback and production after being down 24-7 was somewhat encouraging. Too bad we waited to open up the playbook. But let's not forget WM was in prevent D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom