What's the single best beat-down we've ever put on a rival? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's the single best beat-down we've ever put on a rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As for the question, the two best beatdowns of rivals were the dismantling of SJU in the 99 Big East final (the hatred between those two programs was off the charts at that time), and the game at BC in 2003.

Reaction Score
Not really rivals in either case but two games featuring the #32.

Jumped on University of New Hampshire 32-0 before they scored a point. Probably in the 80's.

Also partial to the 32 point thumping we put on the University North Carolina is their only visit to Gampel.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
GA Tech NCG, 2004. I don't care what the final score was. That team had zero chance.

Reaction Score
Jumped on University of New Hampshire 32-0 before they scored a point. Probably in the 80's.

That was in December of 1990, the year after the Dream Season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
@ BC 2003
@ UL 2009
vs. Villanova in 96' but it wasn't a blow-out. Felt like one though.

Reaction Score
Man, great question, one answer sticks out for me more than ANY OTHER

2009 Louisville, on the road, BIG MONDAY, Louisville a damn good team, ranked #5. The game was over the moment the ball was thrown into the air.

As I get older, I'm more disappointed that 2009 didn't get a ring over the 2006 team. That 2009 team was full of HEART, AJ, Hasheem, Stanley, and my fav., the beast Adrien.

Another great one, even the score looked closer, it was a tip off beat down, 2006 at Syracuse

Reaction Score
Trust me. I'm aware. I was a UConn student in the mid 2000s. And we most certainly called Cuse our main rival, but all I kept hearing when I went there for a UConn/Cuse game my Sr. year was how they all hated Georgetown and didn't care about us.

I'll always consider Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College as our rivals

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A lot of people forget about Pitt when discussing rivals.

A lot of heated match ups with them through the years. The height probably being the Blair body slam to Hasheem at the civic center in 2009.

Reaction Score

2009 Louisville, on the road, BIG MONDAY, Louisville a damn good team, ranked #5. The game was over the moment the ball was thrown into the air.

As I get older, I'm more disappointed that 2009 didn't get a ring over the 2006 team. That 2009 team was full of HEART, AJ, Hasheem, Stanley, and my fav., the beast Adrien.

Another great one, even the score looked closer, it was a tip off beat down, 2006 at Syracuse
Unfortunately I think we may have only beaten Louisville once more since then (2011 BET Final) unless I'm forgetting something.

Reaction Score
Not really rivals in either case but two games featuring the #32.

Also partial to the 32 point thumping we put on the University North Carolina is their only visit to Gampel.

The 32 point win over NC really stands out for me. That was supposed to be a good game. The 32 point difference in the end did not represent how much we blew them out either. We were up by 50 at one point (or close to) and NC was as defeated of a team as I have ever seen. Good times...

Reaction Score
I was at this game, alhough wasn't it in spring 2002? Maybe i'm mixing seasons up. It was a solid 50% Uconn fans in Conte Forum that day, and Big Red was leading Uconn chears throughout. I almost felt bad for Troy Bell, as I think it was his senior day.

I was there as well with three others. That was a beatdown to end all beatdowns. I remember three things particularly about the win:

1. Calhoun being so pumped up that he got T'd while UCOnn was in the midst of a 14-0 run (or so) to start the game.

2. Calhoun relentlessly riding Ben Gordon for not working hard enough on D, even while we were up 30.

3. Hilton Armstrong, when taken out late, grabbing other players on the bench, turning to the rafters behind them and giving the UConn fans in the building a standing ovation for having taken the building over.

It was '03. And I don't feel badly for Troy Bell because despite the fact that the opponent was BC, the UConn fans were classy enough to stand up and applaud him when he was taken out at the end of the game and the BC fans had all left the building. Can't imagine that being done if the shoes were reversed. (Although since BC hoops has no fans, don't know what my basis is for saying that.)

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'll always consider Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College as our rivals

Rutgers? Maybe for football... Or fencing. I hear they're good at fencing...

Reaction Score
Why are so many people in this thread choosing games against teams that are by no stretch of the imagination our rival? Oklahoma? Virginia? Georgia Tech? WTF?

Reaction Score
As far as im concerned our rival is/was Duke. They are the only school in our league and nearly every time we play them there is a lot on the line. Beating them twice in the final four is the still the best thing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We had a home and series with Virgina in the mid-90's - we beat them something like 77-36 at their place and then 76-46 in Connecticut a couple of seasons later.

I was going to name the 77-36 game -- and yes, that was 100% the score -- because we absolutely hammered a good team on ESPN, but I didn't think UVA qualified as a "rival."

How about the 2006 game against Nova, after they had clowned us earlier in the season?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Pitt was a good rival for a few years.
Old days UMass but we moved to a better neighborhood. Then, all our BE rivals moved to better neighborhoods.

Reaction Score

I think about that a lot as well but at least the 2009 team has a Final Four banner to show for their great season. I know how disappointed everyone was with the way we lost to MSU and what could have been if Dyson didn't get hurt, but at least that 09 team has something to show for it

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I've been thinking ab this question, and interested in hearing what games I forgot...but I have to go to YouTube, I can't recall the '09 Louisville win in any detail. I also loved that '09 team, AJ was so underrated. Healthy Dyson, regular performances from AJ / Kemba, we have as good a team as any that year.

Reaction Score
If we want to talk current "rivals" I guess we can throw this game into the mix:

'08 demolishing of Cincy

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
March of '03, it would seem:

I was there, sitting about 5th row free throw line. Everywhere we walked their fans were yelling NIT in our faces. We rolled them, and I was celebrating every moment Okafor rejected their shots. I was being totally obnoxious in retaliation for their pregame trash talking.

"get it down low BC, bring it to the paint (Meka would reject another shot) all day baby, bring it all day BC"

we lost in the BET finals and then went on to lose to one seed Texas in Texas in the last minute

and BC WENT TO THE NIT, priceless

PS: I miss those days when we were the tougher team, when we imposed our will on our opponent, when the refs didn't trample us game after game after game

Reaction Score
I was there, sitting about 5th row free throw line. Everywhere we walked their fans were yelling NIT in our faces. We rolled them, and I was celebrating every moment Okafor rejected their shots. I was being totally obnoxious in retaliation for their pregame trash talking.

"get it down low BC, bring it to the paint (Meka would reject another shot) all day baby, bring it all day BC"

we lost in the BET finals and then went on to lose to one seed Texas in Texas in the last minute

and BC WENT TO THE NIT, priceless

PS: I miss those days when we were the tougher team, when we imposed our will on our opponent, when the refs didn't trample us game after game after game

What I also remember about that game is that BCU had a lot riding on the outcome. With a win, they would have won their division of the Big East and locked up a NCAA tournament berth. Also, with a good game (scoring in high 20s), Bell would have become the conference's all time leading scorer.

Instead, as the result of that blowout loss, they missed the NCAA tourney and Bell came up short for the scoring title. And for their first NIT game, they had to play on the road due to a scheduling conflict.

Reaction Score
Instead, as the result of that blowout loss, they missed the NCAA tourney and Bell came up short for the scoring title. And for their first NIT game, they had to play on the road due to a scheduling conflict.

I believe the scheduling conflict was that their fan couldn't make it.

Another vote for 1999 BET championship here. The Johnnies/Jarvis were heated rivals for a couple years (because of Calhoun/Jarvis and both teams being good), and that was an epic beatdown on a big stage.

Reaction Score
see '11 BET tourney... we took out all of our rivals in 5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member