"What's good for the game is what Dayton did tonight." | The Boneyard

"What's good for the game is what Dayton did tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mostly lurk here but what a classy quote and, oh, so true. Also enjoyed Jabir's post-game presser.
Yes it is and it shows that it is possible for other teams to rise to UCONN level. We don't need to keep hearing how UCONN is bad for the game because they are so far above the level of other teams. Instead of dumbing it down to make everyone look a genius, the goal should be for everyone to raise the level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Loved the whole response regarding who they would face in the FF and 'having no choice' who they play, but not wanting the 'story' to disrespect the actual players playing or the 'other two teams' at the final four.

Reaction Score
It was beautiful basketball not a wrestling match and they all made shots. Adjustments for Geno at half time was the difference. Slowing the game in the second half and tightened up the perimeter won the game. But what a game Dayton played. So fantastic in the first half!!! Nothing but respect for the Dayton players and coaches!!!

Reaction Score
Yes it is and it shows that it is possible for other teams to rise to UCONN level. We don't need to keep hearing how UCONN is bad for the game because they are so far above the level of other teams. Instead of dumbing it down to make everyone look a genius, the goal should be for everyone to raise the level.

Excellent post. *Applauds mhshuskies*

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Hallelujah!!! Why should we suck just because everyone else does? How about you recruit better, try harder, practice tougher, and play smarter... It's not our responsibility to come down to your level. It's your responsibility to aspire to reach ours.

Reaction Score
Loved the whole response regarding who they would face in the FF and 'having no choice' who they play, but not wanting the 'story' to disrespect the actual players playing or the 'other two teams' at the final four.
Is there a link to the presser?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hallelujah!!! Why should we suck just because everyone else does? How about you recruit better, try harder, practice tougher, and play smarter... It's not our responsibility to come down to your level. It's your responsibility to aspire to reach ours.
Agree 100% with you all. You know what's bad for the game? The ugly, low scoring, lack of offense, slugfests that other teams play that make the game unwatchable. Are close games more exciting? Sure. But is the ugly brand of basketball "good" for the game? Absolutely not.

Highlight teams like Dayton, Gonzaga, ND, UCONN, Stanford, maybe Baylor and a few others and THAT'S what is good for the game. Show a product that is pleasant and fun to watch. A half (MD vs. Tenn) where barely over 40 points are scored combined (43) vs a half where over 80 points are scored - which is more fun to watch for the "average/casual" fan?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Agree 100% with you all. You know what's bad for the game? The ugly, low scoring, lack of offense, slugfests that other teams play that make the game unwatchable. Are close games more exciting? Sure. But is the ugly brand of basketball "good" for the game? Absolutely not.

Highlight teams like Dayton, Gonzaga, ND, UCONN, Stanford, maybe Baylor and a few others and THAT'S what is good for the game. Show a product that is pleasant and fun to watch. A half (MD vs. Tenn) where barely over 40 points are scored combined (43) vs a half where over 80 points are scored - which is more fun to watch for the "average/casual" fan?
I was trying to decide whether to go to bed or watch the MD/TN game with my wife and she actually said, "If the game is still in the 40s I don't even care to watch." It was still in the 40s...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
ESPN certainly got it's money's worth in the first game last night. For 20++ minutes, time stood still and the utmost in sports drama was delivered as Cinderella attempted to keep her glass slippers on for a full game. Nothing was certain, as the Louisville-Baylor game of 2013 has forever etched the chance of a monumental upset into the annals of WCBB. With less than 10 minutes to go, the Flyers were still stroking the wings hard only 7 points behind the #1 team in the country and the chance for an epic story was still very real. Can't make a better show than that.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Dayton had the Desire to Aspire and no fear. They had a game plan, they worked the plan and for the first half they did. Genos adjustments in the second half which had a lot to do with denying the perimeter and Daytons top scorers was the difference. I had a great time watching the game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The game was a true pleasure to watch! Two teams executing great offense. No cluching or grabbing or mugging on defense.

Two coaches who know how to coach and get their players to execute at a high level.

Even though the first half was cause for concern, it was still a great game - the way it was ment to be played.

Kudos to Jabir and his team!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
ESPN certainly got it's money's worth in the first game last night. For 20++ minutes, time stood still and the utmost in sports drama was delivered as Cinderella attempted to keep her glass slippers on for a full game. Nothing was certain, as the Louisville-Baylor game of 2013 has forever etched the chance of a monumental upset into the annals of WCBB. With less than 10 minutes to go, the Flyers were still stroking the wings hard only 7 points behind the #1 team in the country and the chance for an epic story was still very real. Can't make a better show than that.
The difference between this game and that Louisville-Baylor game you mentioned is that I heard from multiple people (since I saw only highlights of that game) that Louisville was mugging Baylor throughout the game and if true, MUGGING takes the game down somewhat. I love the purity of basketball, at any and all levels. The first half of yesterday's game was pure basketball!

Reaction Score
It was beautiful basketball not a wrestling match and they all made shots. Adjustments for Geno at half time was the difference. Slowing the game in the second half and tightened up the perimeter won the game. But what a game Dayton played. So fantastic in the first half!!! Nothing but respect for the Dayton players and coaches!!!

Awesome comments and I agree 100%. It was a great free flowing game, to me the way basketball is meant to be played. Dayton played well, shot the ball well, and put up a great fight. Much respect to Dayton players and their coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I was trying to decide whether to go to bed or watch the MD/TN game with my wife and she actually said, "If the game is still in the 40s I don't even care to watch." It was still in the 40s...

LOL!!

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Nice team basketball and great game. This should boost Jabir's recruiting credentials. Unfortunately he is losing huge presences on his team in Mallott and Hoover. Hope he is able to rebuild quickly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice team basketball and great game. This should boost Jabir's recruiting credentials. Unfortunately he is losing huge presences on his team in Mallott and Hoover. Hope he is able to rebuild quickly.
I was wondering that too, but apparently several recruits and potential transfers are calling him.

Reaction Score
As for Gino's game plan - don't overlook that Dayton took 30 free throws against Louisville and only 5 against UCONN......

Reaction Score
and they played open smooth ball -- not a mugging. that first half was a joy to watch regardless of who it was.
The difference between this game and that Louisville-Baylor game you mentioned is that I heard from multiple people (since I saw only highlights of that game) that Louisville was mugging Baylor throughout the game and if true, MUGGING takes the game down somewhat. I love the purity of basketball, at any and all levels. The first half of yesterday's game was pure basketball!

This is why I don't respect Walz, seems that he thinks this is the way to play, it is ugly ball.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I mostly lurk here but what a classy quote and, oh, so true. Also enjoyed Jabir's post-game presser.
Both pressers were absolutely awesome! I thought so too!

Reaction Score
Could you just imagine what Jim Jabir or Courtney Banghart could achieve with Duke talent?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ah, yes, so the myths live on, and we can never credit teams for great performances and just accept the twaddle of whiny fans who always need an excuse for their team's failure, and obviously muggers and blind refs are always the best excuse. No, the win could never be because Slaughter nailed 7 threes (like KML last night) for a Cards team that knocked down 16 bombs against a Bears team that refused to wake up and guard the perimeter. Obviously it had to be because evil refs let the gentle giant be beaten silly by rabid Cardinals, though of course the refs fouled out most of the Lville starters with 24 PFs, basically handing the game over to the Bears. And no it couldn't be because in the final seconds with Baylor back in the lead and basically no one else left, a gimpy legged senior drove through the Bears' defense and by WCBB's top player to get the points that earned one of the biggest upsets in history.

No never that. It was just the mugging of a team that was totally unused to aggressive court play, and whose players in their own would never do anything uncivil like trying to cave in the face of a blindsided opponent. And no it couldn't be because a histrionic coach got totally outmaneuvered by a colleague whose success has of course just earned him the bitter hatred of those who just want to smear great efforts with the "M" word.

Just sad, but myths and fairy tales are easier to deal with than reality.

Reaction Score
Ah, yes, so the myths live on, and we can never credit teams for great performances and just accept the twaddle of whiny fans who always need an excuse for their team's failure, and obviously muggers and blind refs are always the best excuse. No, the win could never be because Slaughter nailed 7 threes (like KML last night) for a Cards team that knocked down 16 bombs against a Bears team that refused to wake up and guard the perimeter. Obviously it had to be because evil refs let the gentle giant be beaten silly by rabid Cardinals, though of course the refs fouled out most of the Lville starters with 24 PFs, basically handing the game over to the Bears. And no it couldn't be because in the final seconds with Baylor back in the lead and basically no one else left, a gimpy legged senior drove through the Bears' defense and by WCBB's top player to get the points that earned one of the biggest upsets in history.

No never that. It was just the mugging of a team that was totally unused to aggressive court play, and whose players in their own would never do anything uncivil like trying to cave in the face of a blindsided opponent. And no it couldn't be because a histrionic coach got totally outmaneuvered by a colleague whose success has of course just earned him the bitter hatred of those who just want to smear great efforts with the "M" word.

Just sad, but myths and fairy tales are easier to deal with than reality.
I was responding to what I've heard from a variety of different posters. If what you're saying is accurate, then the game STILL couldn't be compared to this one because it was dictated by poor officiating that could have potentially cost the game for Louisville. Either way, it doesn't appear that game compares to this game or at least to the first half of this game which was played cleanly and officiated quite well, letting the players play and without any hacking by either team to stop the FLOW of the game! I didn't realize that you had that strong an opinion on the way THAT game was officiated and more importantly, how THAT game was perceived. I can say that I've seen the Louisville play pretty ugly against the Huskies subsequently so there was very little reason to dispute the accounts by people of a game I had seen virtually next to nothing of. Sorry if you're offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom