What would be YOUR 1st question to a prospective coach? | The Boneyard

What would be YOUR 1st question to a prospective coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mine would be do you intend to win from day one? Not like winning at breakfast and study hall but actual games. I never want to hear a coach ever again about building a house and pouring a foundation again. All that is is happy horse manure for "I will dumb down expectations, so that when I make a minor bowl you'll look at me as a savior".

I want a coach to evaluate the players already here and then go from there. Diaco's 1st year was a total waste, you have to respect the people you expect to buy tickets more than that.

Reaction Score
Mine would be do you intend to win from day one? Not like winning at breakfast and study hall but actual games. I never want to hear a coach ever again about building a house and pouring a foundation again. All that is is happy horse manure for "I will dumb down expectations, so that when I make a minor bowl you'll look at me as a savior".

I want a coach to evaluate the players already here and then go from there. Diaco's 1st year was a total waste, you have to respect the people you expect to buy tickets more than that.

Holy . This has got to be some sort of new form of battered spouse syndrome as it applies to sports. Back up officer. Read your question again.

You have to ask if a coach wants to win games?

We all know we were up the creek from game 1 with Bob Diaco, but nobody has ever dealt with anything like this before.

He's a very good salesman.

Reaction Score
Holy . This has got to be some sort of new form of battered spouse syndrome as it applies to sports. Back up officer. Read your question again.

You have to ask if a coach wants to win games?
Well Diaco was great at winning breakfast, and study hall, and sleep time. Then the games started and "we weren't ready to win yet". I never want to see a tear it down and build it up again.

Reaction Score
Well Diaco was great at winning breakfast, and study hall, and sleep time. Then the games started and "we weren't ready to win yet". I never want to see a tear it down and build it up again.

No, tear downs and rebuilds are fine. It happens every day in all kinds of things. What Diaco did and has done, is not a tear down and rebuild. It's a paint by numbers car salesman workshop.

Reaction Score
That's as big of a softball as you'll get. (The OP)

There are probably better first questions, but I would say "Pretend I'm a HS quarterback that you think can be a 3-4 year starter. Tell me why I should pick UConn"

Reaction Score
No, tear downs and rebuilds are fine. It happens every day in all kinds of things. What Diaco did and has done, is not a tear down and rebuild. It's a paint by numbers car salesman workshop.
''We would have liked to win more games, but not compromising the foundation that we've built and laid,'' Diaco said. ''It is strong. It is here to stay forever and we are putting and prepared to put layers on it.

That's what I'm talking about, this BS about foundations and not sacrificing that for wins is stupid. Winning todays game should be priority number one. This,guy poured a foundation onto quicksand.

Reaction Score
This is college football, you're constantly pouring foundations. There are no long term contracts. Let your strength and conditioning coach worry about what guys are eating. The HC needs to focus on winning games.

Reaction Score
Scenario: 4th quarter 17 seconds left. It is second down inside the opponents 3 yard line. You have one 1 timeout left, your QB is on fire and he is fairly mobile, you have one of the best WR in the conference, a RB who is good at catching passes in the flat, and at least 3 TEs who 6'5" or better.......what don't you do?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What would you do on 4th and a mile from the 19? Line up your tight end behind the center in the shotgun?!? Yes, yes, this might work...

Reaction Score
Can you recruit and coach lineman to be friggin really really good at OL stuff if yes the job is yours

Reaction Score
Are you familiar with this gesture?

nfl-football-player-body-4021849_s.jpg

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What's the most important position other than qb, anything other than OL the interview is over

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
"Who would you plan to bring on to your staff"

If he names a bunch of brothers/cousins/former coaches etc. they're axed.

I think this is a great question. As I have said before....my current pet peeve is coaches who hire people they are comfortable with onto their staff. Diaco and Ollie are both guilty...and both struggling. Great leaders don't look for comfort...they look to be challenged.

You can't be afraid to hire people on your staff who are different than you. People who disagree with you and challenge your thinking. Obviously they need to be aligned on your vision, but diversity is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Do you think kissing your players and tucking them into bed is a good thing? It really works well for that guy in Houston and gets really great press. Will you feed our mascot ice cream? They announcers love that too.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Why are you running around in circles and quacking like a duck?....oh wait, that's the one we should have asked BD at his interview.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Q1: Do you know what an "Energy Vampire" is, what "Filling your Energy Bucket" means, or what "Fish Cakes" are and why any of these should be relevant to growing big time college football here at UConn?

Q2: Do you promise not to use the terms "best in America" when referring to the talent you preceive at any position on this team- especially when the program has lost 8 games in the season?

Q3: Would you bring each of your QB's out to a presser, only to annouce that 3 out of 4 of them are not going to play during the season- like its some kind of episode of "The Biggest Loser"?

Q4: Do you promise not to udder the words: "love", "brotherhood", "culture", or "energy"- at nausiom in every press conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom