What will you remember the most about this Championship Team? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What will you remember the most about this Championship Team?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'll remember the way they played -- the way they ran their sets, the way they hedged & recovered. It was all NBA-level execution from a bunch of 19-to-22-year-old kids.

You don't see that often. It was brilliant, and I'm so happy for these kids.

Reaction Score
The second half against Xavier at Gampel . The crowd, the resolve and the toughness to dig deep out of a hole. Gampel was bumping that night.

Reaction Score
yeah. i think from a technical standpoint, this was the best uconn team of all the ones who won a natty. in 99, the team all knew their roles and played brilliantly. In 04, the talent was just overwhelming. in 11 it was Kemba's magic that carried us. In 14, who the knows why we actually won.

This year, it was evident that we were simply a more sophisticated, smarter team than anyone else out there. Having spent decades (calhoun years too) lamenting that we seemed to never have that level of offensive acumen, this year's team was a total revelation. It never felt like we didn't have an answer. It was just a matter of execution.

Reaction Score
So many puzzle pieces that came to fit together perfectly, lots of guys giving up individual stats for the good of the whole.

Also, a super fun weekend in Vegas to win the West Regional (but now regret I couldn't make it to Houston, too).

Reaction Score
the dismal, dismal feelings in the summer of 2022 after nmsu and the transfers, buoyed slightly by the idea that we had a returning core of jackson, hawkins, and sanogo that could still somehow, someway be one of the best in college basketball.

then watching karaban and clingan for the first time in the fall and being genuinely excited. to be honest, after PK85 and 14-0, the only truly surprising thing that happened was the downswing. it was clear in november and december that we could win it all.

this team was so fun to watch.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I am so thrilled I got to see the team in person when we rolled the gators. Love this team. They were so easy to pull for. Great kids.

Reaction Score
When they would click on all cylinders, they just played so spectacularly it was a thing of beauty. This was a team’s team with everybody just contributing and carrying the next guy. They came together and guys found their strengths and how to use them for the whole.

Reaction Score
The fact they buried the cock-a-roaches of conference realignment (Swofford, BC, Rutgers lucky sperm club, the AAC) and the fact that none of these parasite football schools ruining college sports came close to winning.

Reaction Score
The early season dominance.

The adjustments offensively and defensively after the January swoon. Karaban started to be able to guard the 4 spot and that was huge.

The dominance in the tourney.

A three act play.
Great point re Karaban and his improved D

Reaction Score
Probably more than anything, Adama and AJax. And I think Hurley's roster construction was the best of any team this program has seen. So many complimentary parts while also having redundancies.
What Hurley did after losing all those transfers and graduating seniors was an amazing roster construction job. He brought in high level transfers that were better than the guys he lost.

Reaction Score
Just how much they've grown during the course of the season. This is all Hurley. I don't want to revisit all the drama about Ollie's championship (while it's really Uconn's, as is this one) - it wasn't his recruits (ad nauseum).

And, for the record, I'm an enormous KO fan - UConn born and bred, as a player and a coach - just to clear up.

But WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NC#5
Hurley's player development this year was off the charts.

Reaction Score
All the shooters on the team, the two headed monsters in the middle, Sanogo and Clingan and the tears on the cuse board
Adama and DC were the backbone of this team. How demoralizing must it have been to try to compete! 25-30 points, 20 rebounds, handful of blocks… almost every game, against all comers.

Reaction Score
Keep flashing back to the demolition of Oregon at PK when I realized "oh my God, every player on this team looks exactly how we hoped they'd be" and started telling doubting friends and family we were the best team in the nation. Just such amazing complimentary, selfless players, and Danny figured out all the buttons to push

Reaction Score
They did it. They took their opportunity for greatness and achieved it.

Reaction Score
Hawkins improving leaps and bounds from his freshman year. I admit, I never understood the hype after he was shaky with the ball in his hands last year. He turned into the best high volume 3 point shooter since Rashad Anderson and the best in college basketball. I'll never forget Newton playing tonight, how we wanted him to play all year. They took away a lot of our 3 pt shots tonight and he recognized that and took the ball to the rim against a smaller defender all night. MVP of the game.

In general, I'll never forgot how EASY and stress free this run was. Besides the first half of Iona and almost fainting when SD St cut it to 5, it was fairly stress free. Absolute wagon.

Reaction Score
Just read that while the players were cutting down the net, Hurley walked around the court and thanked all the past Huskies that were there on the floor for all that they have done to build the program and for all they do to continue to support the program. That's awesome that Hurley did that. So many ex uconn greats at the game. That's family. A united Husky family.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll remember the way they played -- the way they ran their sets, the way they hedged & recovered. It was all NBA-level execution from a bunch of 19-to-22-year-old kids.

You don't see that often. It was brilliant, and I'm so happy for these kids.
That's it, Matrim. It was team ball from start to finish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom