What will you remember the most about this Championship Team? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What will you remember the most about this Championship Team?

Reaction Score
Having better appreciation for what Coach Hurley said, “we did this the right way!”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The relationship between Hurley and Jackson.

Jackson was a disaster as soon as conference play started. I can’t remember another time where a coach repaired a player who was so completely shattered the way Jackson was.

But not only repaired him, but turned a guy who has no shooting ability into such a weapon.

Watch the last seconds of the game…I am pretty sure Hurley was whipping up the crowd and directing them to applaud Jackson.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Awww.

I hated that people made fun of that kid. He answered the question in the spirit that it was asked - everyone knew what he meant and they made fun of him for it anyway.
It was a genuinely tender moment, AND it was meme-like.

Reaction Score
I'll remember how much we dominated out of conference opponents compared to how we played in conference. I'll forever be slightly puzzled by this.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You Better Get Us Now!!!!
Is past tense. This team changed it.

It currently is you should have got us then!

This is a team with a capital T. The speed of their interaction with one another on both offense and defense, the ability to play against any style of opposition, the obvious connection they have with one another on and off the court, their approach to games and they sincerely bleed Husky blue and white.

Loved this team from the onset. Love them more for bringing number five. They will be a tough act to follow.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Joey C blowing the roof off Gampel vs GTown.

The beginning of the legend of DC and AK.

Bill Murray doing a thing with his arms.

Reaction Score
How this group came together to quiet the noise, to trust and believe in each other, and to become legends.

This guy can’t coach, that guy isn’t a “real” UConn point guard, this guy is a liability on the floor because his offense is awful, that guy is selfish and his back-up should be playing more.

If you came for one of them, you came for them all. It’s easy to give lip service about being selfless, but this group did the thing. The basketball was obviously important, but they learned some real life stuff throughout this season. Every single one of these players is someone you want to root for. I am so proud of all of them and glad we all got to have that experience.

Reaction Score
I will always remember the cohesiveness on offense. I don't think we've had such fluidity and unselfishness on a team since 95 and that team was an offensive juggernaut. And I will always remember someone saying that Hurley should be fired after the 1st half of the first round game. I know we should all be celebrating but that is the stuff of legends. I will not remember who said it but I will always remembered that it was said.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The team going out to eat in Houston was one of my least favorite moments of 2023.
"Calamari in Houston" would work as the middle line of a haiku, but might not be the best choice off a restaurant menu.

Reaction Score
Ajax and all the different things he does well and in particular his incredible court vision. Jordan Hawkins hitting huge baskets.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Through 5 pages and I can't believe nobody has mentioned the incredible 10-0 type runs these guys would go on. This team was a front running squad all season (not really a knock when you blow everyone out) and man when they smelled blood in the water they attacked like no other team in recent memory.

Specifically, I loved being on a 7-0, type run, and wed get a stop or turnover and blast up the court and hit Hawkins or Joey for a back breaking 3 in transition to send the crowd over the top seguing into a Big Red chant. That to me is Husky hoops and this team may have done that better than any I've ever seen (almost 37 for reference).

Reaction Score
1. PK tournament and realizing we had an elite team that could pull this off.
2. Every home game with the exception of St. Johns was so much fun, even Xavier while disappointing at the end had that atmosphere and we definitely figured some things out in the 2nd half.
3. How by tournament time we were a well oiled machine. And knowing that there was nothing to fear from any other team it was strictly we need to just play our game and we'd win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watch the last seconds of the game…I am pretty sure Hurley was whipping up the crowd and directing them to applaud Jackson.
"This guy!"

Reaction Score
That. Then Clingan coming in to spell him and making things possibly worse for the bad guys. Unreal!
That second unit- man, how many times UConn pulled away and turned a small lead into a huge gap when Clingan, Joey C, and Alleyne were in the game. Same thing in the championship game- went from 10-6 losing to up 16-10 with 2nd unit in game

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank you for confirming…that’s what I thought I saw.
Now that you bring it up, I thought that presser with Hurley sitting next to Andre explaining that the January hiccup was due his letting down Andre as a coach was really something. Nothing like someone having your back.

Reaction Score
Now that you bring it up, I thought that presser with Hurley sitting next to Andre explaining that the January hiccup was due his letting down Andre as a coach was really something. Nothing like someone having your back.

And Dan is probably right and wrong with that, but having your players’ backs publicly like that is everything.

Some coaches would find it hard to believe that you’re even allowed to do that and aren’t supposed to trash your guys to the media and then turn around and yell at them, too.

Reaction Score
Quote from Mich. State Message Board "That was the most subdued title celebration I've seen. UCONN treated that like a ho hum win over St John's on a Tuesday night in January."
I love that this was just a business trip for us and we had the confidence to treat it that way. 5-0 in NC games can do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom