What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys?

Reaction Score
The reasoning behind social distancing:

Flattening the Coronavirus Curve
And here is what and how it happens:

50 coronavirus cases traced back to one man
CNN By Sheena Jones and Christina Maxouris, Updated 11:19 AM ET, Wed March 11, 2020

A 50-year-old attorney, who works near Grand Central Station in Manhattan, tested positive for the virus on March 2 and was hospitalized at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, NY Gov. Cuomo said. The man had an underlying respiratory condition that made him vulnerable to the virus but he was stable and improving, officials also said later.

17 people in two days. Just two days after the man's positive results, on March 4, his 20-year-old son, a student at New York's Yeshiva University, also tested positive. School officials said he was showing symptoms of the virus.

The wife and 14-year-old daughter of the attorney both also tested positive on the same day.
So did the neighbor who drove him to the hospital.
And a friend of the attorney.
The friend's wife, two sons and daughter tested positive that day too.

On March 5, the governor says eight other people connected to the attorney tested positive for the virus.

And 11 more in a day. On March 6, three members of the Young Israel Congregation of New Rochelle, where the attorney attended, tested positive for the virus.

Another two friends of the attorney tested positive, too. And four more people related to the attorney also had the virus, the governor said. And so did two residents from nearby Rockland County who worked as caterers in the bar mitzvah the attorney was believed to have attended.

On March 7, the governor announced 23 others linked to the attorney had the virus. The day after, he said 12 more cases were reported in Westchester County, which is home to New Rochelle.

By March 10, there were 108 cases in New Rochelle.

Today is March 11.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I’ll just pick one of your examples. I couldn’t give blood for 20+ years because I had been to England. Mad Cow didn’t wipe out the human race, but do we know that isn’t because of the precautions we took?
My understanding is one still can't give blood if one was in England in the 80's through sometime in the 90's. I know I was denied a few years ago on this.

Besides who want Blue Blood anyway??? :cool:

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Based on the testimony given just now in a congressional hearing by Dr. Fauci.
It is likely that action will be taken to reduce the possibility of an uncontrolled epidemic
up to and including cancellation...

Unless his warnings are ignored.

Reaction Score
Missouri State isn't one of the top eight teams in the country, regardless of what the RPI shows. Probably not one of the top 16 teams, according to bracketology. Limiting the tourney to eight teams is problematic as well.

Sure it would be problematic - but maybe not as problematic as this virus is threatening to be.
The NCAA may not want 64 teams gathering in numerous population centers, going through numerous airports/airplanes. etc. Some things are definitely gonna change. How much? Who knows. Mine is a not-quite-doomsday proposal.

Replace Mizzou state with the next school in Creme's bracketology. Doesn't matter to me.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
From the same congressional hearing 11AM 03/11/20, less than 700 confirmed cases in the U.S. of a population of over 350million. Average age of deaths in Italy 80 with underlying health issues.

Reaction Score
This seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If drastic action is taken and a pandemic successfully averted, then people will complain that it was all unnecessary. And who knows, maybe a crisis can be averted with only moderate restrictions. But if we don't act, or don't act forcefully enough, the consequences could be severe. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of caution and wonder if it was much ado about nothing than wish in retrospect that action had been taken to avoid a pandemic.

Reaction Score
From the same congressional hearing 11AM 03/11/20, less than 700 confirmed cases in the U.S. of a population of over 350million. Average age of deaths in Italy 80 with underlying health issues.
Johns Hopkins has USA with 1050 VOID-19 cases. Where do you get 700 number?

Reaction Score
I'm just going to throw this out there, what happens to fans of both the men and women that have already purchased their tickets (which most did almost 1 year ago to get decent seats) have purchased plane tickets and paid for hotel rooms? Do you just tell these people to get over it that they have now lost a couple thousand dollars?

Reaction Score
I'm just going to throw this out there, what happens to fans of both the men and women that have already purchased their tickets (which most did almost 1 year ago to get decent seats) have purchased plane tickets and paid for hotel rooms? Do you just tell these people to get over it that they have now lost a couple thousand dollars?
The W H O has declared this a pandemic .....

that is similar to "Act of God" you don't get a refund.

Reaction Score
I have gone back to school in retirement, and got an email today canceling classes and all events at CCSU till the first week in April. This is the status as of now and could change or extend.

Reaction Score
The difference is, depending on severity of the yearly strains, flu season results in:
9-45 million infections in the US each year
140,000-810,000 hospitalizations
12,000-61,000 deaths
That is a 0.13% death rate from infection for the worst year.
And we as humans around the world have deemed that to be 'acceptable' though the huge fear is that at some point in the future a flu strain will be as virulent as the 'Spanish' flu of 1917-20 which had a 3% or higher mortality rate. If such a flu strain were to reappear, all sorts of public measures would be rolled out. (There have been a few scares in the last 20 years - bird flu and swine flu)

This virus is a relative of the SARS virus which killed about 10% of those infected. The coronavirus is currently estimated at about a 3% fatality rate which may put it in the sweet spot for a 'deadly' pandemic - easily transmitted and not too fatal so most of the people carrying it are able to continue passing it on.

Counter-intuitively - the more deadly a virus after a certain point, the less like it is to spread. If everyone dies who gets it, they don't have the chance to spreading it. SARS while much more deadly, infected and killed many fewer people than covid19 already has.
Thank you for a cogent explanation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK:

DONE

NO FANS
Fans limited to immediate family members will get to go. I guess they’ll get to sit in the front row at least.

Reaction Score
Fans limited to immediate family members will get to go. I guess they’ll get to sit in the front row at least.
Unless they make each person sit ten feet away from the closest other person. :D

Reaction Score

Mortalities and widespread transmission are expected in Connecticut.

Worst epidemic since the Spanish flu is in the making.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom