What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Options Should The NCAA Consider If They Feel The Need To Make Any Changes To This Year's Tourneys?

Reaction Score
Does anyone think the NCAA will refund money on tickets to FF tickets that are already purchased?
I have also ordered tickets through UCONN for the first & second rounds...might I see the refunded to me?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was basing my choice on rewarding SC because they have been No. 1 in all the major polls for a while now, and apparently are going to be the Committee's Overall No. 1 seed. In an * year, that is good enough for me.
But if they do anoint a NC, of course other schools are going to disagree, it's human nature.
Well, then they can always raise a banner in their arena that says "Number One In the Polls for a While" :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Besides, it's by no means clear that SC is in fact the best team. Oregon has been more impressive in the past six weeks against MUCH tougher competition.
Can't argue with that BUT the major polls do not reflect this and that was my point in "anointing" SC with the NC*, the latest major polling.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Can't argue with that BUT the major polls do not reflect this and that was my point in "anointing" SC with the NC*, the latest major polling.
The major polls mean diddly beyond just media coverage. It's just a collection of individual opinions, which as you say, don't have import. Might as well leave it up to the Boneyard to choose the national champion.

Reaction Score
Let's think about this a different way. What if a "team" comes down with COVID-19 (I would assume that if one team member got it, that most of the team would too at some point, as they are all practicing, etc., together daily). Do you think the tournament should be cancelled if this virus affects a team (UConn, Oregon, Baylor, Maryland, etc)?
I would not be surprised at all if one or more schools prohibit their teams from participating in the tournament. This is already happening on some levels. The schools aren't really worried about their fans. They do have a responsibility to look out for the well-being of their student athletes. But, they have a HUGE responsibility to safeguard the well-bring of their campus and community. That means every student, every instructor, every administrator, and every support staff member. I think they're looking further down the line than one sports tournament.

Reaction Score
One other factor to consider if the NCAA decides to play in empty arenas is that the issue of geographical factors in regional placements becomes moot. If fans can't attend then why worry where teams play? Just assign teams based on the S-curve. Sure, keep conference foes apart until the regional finals but there's no need for Louisville to go to Fort Wayne if they aren't the top 2 seed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
One other factor to consider if the NCAA decides to play in empty arenas is that the issue of geographical factors in regional placements becomes moot. If fans can't attend then why worry where teams play? Just assign teams based on the S-curve. Sure, keep conference foes apart until the regional finals but there's no need for Louisville to go to Fort Wayne if they aren't the top 2 seed.
OTOH, I'm sure the Louisville team and staff would much prefer to rent a bus and drive than have to fly. Much lower risk of transmission that way. I would argue that geography becomes more important now than in ordinary times.

Reaction Score
Well, then they can always raise a banner in their arena that says "Number One In the Polls for a While" :)

Isn't that the backdrop for 95 out of the last football national championships?

Reaction Score
Good point.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, this is not true. The NCAA would still have to pay for team travel. A major reason for heeding the 350-mile "driving distance" threshold is cost control on travel reimbursement.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Best advice to NCAA - turn off the 24/7 news and social media and use your head. This is panic caused on purpose by media. Four (4) people in Connecticut get it and there is a travel ban. 4!!! .0001% of population of about 4 million. Less dangerous than the normal flu (20000 deaths). Come on folks get a grip!

Interesting that no one rose to your bait.

The problem is that too few people have been tested, nationwide (through no fault of their own) to know how prevalent and widespread the virus is within the general population.

I think that the "panic" you note is not so much media driven, rather by professionals and knowledgable policy makers who have studied the spread of such pathogens and are scared stiff that we already have widespread, community infection.

And it is clear that in my case with a recent heart operation and a seasonal sinus infection, I would be a dead duck if infected.

This is very much a board of seniors who have to take reasonable precautions.

Taking the position that this is a "plot"or some form of hysteria will likely not play here.

Reaction Score
On a serious note, cancel the tournament. This is about Collegiate Athletics and the students, alumni and their fans are more important to the game and tournament than ESPN, CBS and Turner Broadcasting.
Crown SC as NC, obviously with an *.
I don't think that anyone disagrees at this point that they are the best team.
I disagree. I don't see them or anyone beating Oregon on a neutral floor.

Reaction Score
The major polls mean diddly beyond just media coverage. It's just a collection of individual opinions, which as you say, don't have import. Might as well leave it up to the Boneyard to choose the national champion.
If they cancel the tournament, I vote for this. Easily the most objective method of choosing a national champion!

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I am only voicing my opinion of a NC* IF the tournament is canceled and the NCAA decides to "anoint" a NC.
BTW, I do think that the odds are better that a BYer is going to win the Powerball than the NCAA "anointing" a NC without having a tournament.

Reaction Score
OTOH, I'm sure the Louisville team and staff would much prefer to rent a bus and drive than have to fly. Much lower risk of transmission that way. I would argue that geography becomes more important now than in ordinary times.

Good point but the teams that fly use charter flights. There is certainly no shortage of empty planes.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I disagree. I don't see them or anyone beating Oregon on a neutral floor.
And I would like to see that game too (SC and Oregon).
I believe that the NC should be decided on the court with the 4 best teams in the FF.

Reaction Score
No, this is not true. The NCAA would still have to pay for team travel. A major reason for heeding the 350-mile "driving distance" threshold is cost control on travel reimbursement.

The amount spent on travel is a drop in the bucket compared to what the NCAA earns in the tournaments (men & women). An event that generates billions shouldn't have to worry about the cost-savings in having a dozen more teams ride buses instead of flying. The only real reason for keeping teams close to home is attendance, not plane costs.

Reaction Score
No fans allowed at the NCAA Div 3 game up the road in Amherst.
By Ken Goe | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The George Fox Bruins leave Wednesday morning to fly across the country to Amherst, Massachusetts, for a game in the NCAA Division IIII Women’s Basketball Tournament round of 16.

The unranked Bruins (23-6) meet No. 7 Amherst (24-4) on Friday in the second half of a doubleheader. But Amherst College won’t allow spectators into the gym as a preventive measure against the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Reaction Score
Best advice to NCAA - turn off the 24/7 news and social media and use your head. This is panic caused on purpose by media. Four (4) people in Connecticut get it and there is a travel ban. 4!!! .0001% of population of about 4 million. Less dangerous than the normal flu (20000 deaths). Come on folks get a grip!

I could not agree more.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The relatively small number of deaths are insignificant until one of them happen to be someone you love.

Reaction Score
I haven't read any of the other suggestions, so I apologize if I'm being redundant in suggesting a one-week or a two-week delay.

As most people, according to what I read earlier today I don't remember where, develop symptoms within five days, in another week or two if a sizable amount of people, of all ages and health profiles, are gravely ill, then cancellation is the obvious choice.

If that doesn't happen, then a tournament should be able to be conducted under some set of rules in some sort of an environment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom