What is your BEST and WORST memory being in NY during the Big East Tournament? | The Boneyard

What is your BEST and WORST memory being in NY during the Big East Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My experiences both happened on the same night.

Best:
The 2011 Big East Tournament when Mike Marra from Louisville was on the foul line shooting his 3 foul shots. I never heard a place get so loud. When he missed the second shot my friends and I had the realization that the game was in our grasp. Less than a minute later UConn was Big East Champs and the student section was just a mass of people tackling and piling on to each other. I don't think many things in life will come close to that feeling of ecstasy.

Worst:
After winning the tournament, my friends and I decided we would go to a bar to celebrate the UConn's victory. Since we wanted to get good and messed up, we decided it would be better to find a bar near Grand Central Station rather than one near MSG since we didn't want to get lost on the walk back in an intoxicated state. We found a bar within sight of Grand Central (I can't remember the name of the place) and we grab an empty booth across from the bar. While I throw my jacket over my chair and place our posters against the wall, my friend goes to the bar in an attempt to buy a round of beers. As we wait at the bar for a few minutes, we notice that the bartender is ignoring us and only serving other people at the bar (the place wasn't very crowded). Finally, we flag him down and ask for 3 beers when the bartender says he won't serve us because "you guys are underage". The three of us exchange confused looks as we proceed to pull out our IDs confirming that we are all indeed over 21. The exchange that followed went something like this:

Me: Here are our IDs. *as I proceed to hand our IDs over to the bartender*
bartender: I don't care what it says on your IDs, you're not buying anything here tonight.
friend1: But you haven't even looked at our IDs, how can you deny us service when you won't even look at them.
bartender: I already told you I don't give a , get out of here.
friend2: Look, we're not trying to cause trouble we just want to have a good time, what's your problem?

The bartender then proceeded to use a string of not-so-nice words and phrases to describe us as he proceeded to come around the bar to kick us out. To this day, I don't know why I did what I did next. As we were turning to leave the bar, I noticed a few empty glasses close to the edge of the bar next to a glass container that held napkins and straws. When I was almost at the door, I quickly ran up to the bar and proceeded to push the glasses and container off the top of the bar and was rewarded with the sound of breaking glass. My friends and I then proceeded to book it to Grand Central as the angry bartender chased us out of the bar while threatening to murder us dead. The train ride home full of drunk UConn fans turned out to be more entertaining than any bar could have anyways.

tl;dr - Got kicked out of a bar for no reason, but not before I broke on the way out as payback.

Reaction Score
Best, taking out Gtown and Cuse to cut down the nets for the first time in school history.

Worst: six overtime game.

Reaction Score
Many good memories, but I'd have to say the best was rushing the MSG court after beating the Cuse for our first BET Championship in 1990.

Reaction Score
Best:1999 final when they just ran St Johns out of the building.

Worst: 1994 losing to PC in semis

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
many best moments, the dream season, Ray Ray > AI, Caron in 2002, beating Pitt in 2004 and of course the entire 2011 tournament (almost forget Kemba beat Pitt in a QF game, and not the championship

worst would be when G-MAC beat us twice in 05 & 06, one of them being an incredible comeback by them.

the 07 and 2010 tournaments just sucked

Reaction Score
My experiences both happened on the same night.

Best:
The 2011 Big East Tournament when Mike Marra from Louisville was on the foul line shooting his 3 foul shots. I never heard a place get so loud. When he missed the second shot my friends and I had the realization that the game was in our grasp. Less than a minute later UConn was Big East Champs and the student section was just a mass of people tackling and piling on to each other. I don't think many things in life will come close to that feeling of ecstasy.

Worst:
After winning the tournament, my friends and I decided we would go to a bar to celebrate the UConn's victory. Since we wanted to get good and messed up, we decided it would be better to find a bar near Grand Central Station rather than one near MSG since we didn't want to get lost on the walk back in an intoxicated state. We found a bar within sight of Grand Central (I can't remember the name of the place) and we grab an empty booth across from the bar. While I throw my jacket over my chair and place our posters against the wall, my friend goes to the bar in an attempt to buy a round of beers. As we wait at the bar for a few minutes, we notice that the bartender is ignoring us and only serving other people at the bar (the place wasn't very crowded). Finally, we flag him down and ask for 3 beers when the bartender says he won't serve us because "you guys are underage". The three of us exchange confused looks as we proceed to pull out our IDs confirming that we are all indeed over 21. The exchange that followed went something like this:

Me: Here are our IDs. *as I proceed to hand our IDs over to the bartender*
bartender: I don't care what it says on your IDs, you're not buying anything here tonight.
friend1: But you haven't even looked at our IDs, how can you deny us service when you won't even look at them.
bartender: I already told you I don't give a , get out of here.
friend2: Look, we're not trying to cause trouble we just want to have a good time, what's your problem?

The bartender then proceeded to use a string of not-so-nice words and phrases to describe us as he proceeded to come around the bar to kick us out. To this day, I don't know why I did what I did next. As we were turning to leave the bar, I noticed a few empty glasses close to the edge of the bar next to a glass container that held napkins and straws. When I was almost at the door, I quickly ran up to the bar and proceeded to push the glasses and container off the top of the bar and was rewarded with the sound of breaking glass. My friends and I then proceeded to book it to Grand Central as the angry bartender chased us out of the bar while threatening to murder us dead. The train ride home full of drunk UConn fans turned out to be more entertaining than any bar could have anyways.

tl;dr - Got kicked out of a bar for no reason, but not before I broke on the way out as payback.

That is so assinine, it is beyond my imagination that anyone would brag about it. It is truly unfortunate that you weren't arrested. And by the way, unless someone is discriminating against you because of race or something similar, businesses do not have to do business with you.

Reaction Score
I take the train down on Thursdays most years ... with lots of Cuse fans aboard. I remember great feelings seeing them lose the 12'o'clock first game AND then push out to go to StripJoints for the remainder of their time in NYC. That's my view of our-soon-departed friends: Not really into good basketball; just ready to ride a good team. (btw ... I will watch 4 games back-to-back; no problem)

BEST SINGLE MOMENT: many. But Taliek sinking that long shot against Pitt was special.

WORST: I refuse to remember anything.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
best
-tb's shot
-cuse fan got onto the train and fell face down(hammered drunk), pitt fan behind him yells "good old cuse basketball in the tournament"

worst
-missed the 2:11(if i remember correctly) train back to ct, and all 3 of us idiots were out of cash. all we had was our round trips. the bar stole all of our $$ lol. it was a crapy 3 hours until the 5am trains started back up. it was raining that night so there wasn't the usual walk around fun.

Reaction Score
Best: was at both the '11 and '04 Championships. The '11 was totally joyous. In '04, it was much more like you survived a nuclear war.

Worst: I was at the '09 Syracuse OT game celebrating my son's 18th birthday. Had to leave after 2 OT to get the car before the garage closed at midnight. And then had to sit in the car for over an hour while my son stayed watching the game.

Reaction Score
That is so assinine, it is beyond my imagination that anyone would brag about it. It is truly unfortunate that you weren't arrested. And by the way, unless someone is discriminating against you because of race or something similar, businesses do not have to do business with you.

Never said it was a proud moment. And you spelled "asinine" wrong. ;)

Reaction Score
LOL. Since I've always said you shouldn't be making mistakes when criticizing someone else, I'll take my medicine for that.
Ha, it's cool man. I really am not proud of that, it's one of those moments when you look back you go, "Oh God, WHY."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Many good memories, but I'd have to say the best was rushing the MSG court after beating the Cuse for our first BET Championship in 1990.

I was there with you

Reaction Score
Best: Seeing my first UConn ge ever. My father took me out of school so we could go watch the afternoon double-header of the 1990. First BET for me, First basketball game in the Garden...

Worst: The 1995 finals (loss to Villanova). Family friends had a son who was a 'Nova manager. This family was made up of 6 HUGE Villanova supporters. And, I was tagging along. We got split up because the son had obtained scattered tickets. I sat with their youngest daughter, like 8 at the time, and she punched me for 2 1/2 hours as Kerry Kittles went crazy. Then I had to go stand courtside for the trophy presentation while the family celebrated.

Honorable Mention Best: Taking my 7-months pregnant wife to the 2002 tournament and using her belly to get better prices from the gold-toothed scalpers on 7th Avenue. She had a blast and ate hotdogs all day while we . I haven't made it back for the tournament. Babies, life and a move to NC got in the way...

Reaction Score
Only 2 times down to the tourney, one a Best, another a Worst

Worst: 1989 QF 74-66 loss to a Seton Hall team that made the finals, ensuring an NIT bid a year after winning it. Uncle Cliffy: 3-17 from the floor. Ouch. Wondering if program would ever make the tournament.

Best: 1990 BE Semi win over Georgetown, including yelling at Musburger before the game about a little respect. Apparently CBS had tired of his act by that point too, sacking him during the Final 4. A huge win at a neutral site over the Twin Towers of Mourning and Moutombo.

Reaction Score
Taliek with the almost half court shot against Pitt has to be up there.

Reaction Score
Best: 2011 vs. L'ville. I was on such a sports high afterward my friends called me out for talking to myself.

Worst: 2006, G-Mac 3. Brutal, just brutal.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
I owul dl
Best: 2011 vs. L'ville. I was on such a sports high afterward my friends called me out for talking to myself.

Worst: 2006, G-Mac 3. Brutal, just brutal.[/q

I would love to see GMac's career stats against us. I believe they were pathetic.

All you had to do was actually guard him and he stunk it up. Leave him open and it was swish

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Wow...take it easy! The guy said it was stupid and doesn't know why he did it.

A college kid at UConn making a poor decision...an outrage! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom