What is your BEST and WORST memory being in NY during the Big East Tournament? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is your BEST and WORST memory being in NY during the Big East Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I owul dl

The year Syracuse won its championship, I was walking out of the garden with some Syracuse fans sitting near us. They said that they could play UConn twenty times that year and they'd never beat us because freshman GMac just wasn't physically strong enough to deal with our guards when he had the ball.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Well, I've only been twice when Uconn has been in it, so...

Best - Was at the G' Town game last year. We pretty much ran all over them. Was when I believed we could go very, very far.

Worst - 6 OT. Then, we missed the last train in (by 4 minutes), wandered the city until the first train came in. Ended up hanging out in a bar until closing just to stay warm...about 20 minutes in, we realized it was a gay bar. Wasn't an issue, I mean the people were really nice to us. It was just funny that it took us 20+ minutes to realize it.

Reaction Score
[...about 20 minutes in, we realized it was a gay bar. Wasn't an issue, I mean the people were really nice to us. It was just funny that it took us 20+ minutes to realize it.[/quote]

Well, in fairness, for the first 19 minutes you were making out with the bouncer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Best - The comeback and win over G'town in 1996.

Worst - The 1995 final against Villanova. Kerry Kittles just punched the living s*** out of UConn for the entire game. (94-78)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've only been to the Big East Championship once.

Best - 2011 vs Syracuse Friday and 2011 vs Louisville Saturday.
Worst - Never, lol.

My four years at UConn 2005-2009, I never won the student lottery and every time I planned to go to MSG they lost in the 1st game of the tournament, every season except one (I think they won 1 BEC in those 4 seasons).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember back in the '80's we're playing Cuse in the 1st round. UConn is down about 6 or 8 at the 2nd half 8 min timeout. The announcer says "There will be a reception for UConn fans after the game in the Hotel Penta ballroom...." Pause, then " "The Syracuse reception will be after tomorrow's game in the Hotel Penta ballroom." Geez, we hadn't lost yet. Kids today don't know what lack of respect really is.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ray Allen's buzzer beater to beat Iverson and the Hoyas in 1996. I prayed to God that if we could come back to win, I'd give $20 to the first homeless person I saw on the way out of the Garden. Well we did, and I kept my promise (I hope he bought food and not smack....). I remember needing to catch the next train home and being so pumped I ran the whole way there and people in passing cars yelling, "Who won?" and me responding "UCONN baby!" The worst moment would have to be a first round loss to Providence, I think in the early '90's but don't remember the year. I try my best to forget losses.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Best:
The double overtime win against Pitt, I was running back from getting a beer and I slipped on my down four stairs. Everybody in my section cheered because as I raised my hand I still had my full beer. And of course we got the W!!

Worst:
Alcohol helps me not remember them lol

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Well, I've only been twice when Uconn has been in it, so...

Best - Was at the G' Town game last year. We pretty much ran all over them. Was when I believed we could go very, very far.

Worst - 6 OT. Then, we missed the last train in (by 4 minutes), wandered the city until the first train came in. Ended up hanging out in a bar until closing just to stay warm...about 20 minutes in, we realized it was a gay bar. Wasn't an issue, I mean the people were really nice to us. It was just funny that it took us 20+ minutes to realize it.
When you were sitting at the bar, didn't you find it strange that guys kept asking you if you'd like them to push-in your stool???

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The first worst memory was my senior year, the last time it wasn't at the Garden (I can't believe it was 30 years ago) when Dom Perno sat on his thumb while while should have been an insurmountable lead slowly melted away throughout the second half (no shot clock & no three pointer back then) and we let St John's run the last minute plus run off the clock before Mullin (as a freshman) hit an open 20 footer with about six seconds left to give St John's their first lead in the game.

The closest to another worst was sitting through four straight (out of six) one and dones (2005 - 2008) at a time when I no longer saw that as a possibility.

A ton of bests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Best is Kemba's shot against Pitt. I remember going absolutely mental in the student section, along with everyone else.

Reaction Score
Mid 80's, UConn just got punked in the early game by Seton Hall or someone....Georgetown with some guy named Ewing something was playing next and we were trying to dump our tickets. I was on the sidewalk asking everyone walking by, "Need tickets, need tickets, ...". A guy gets out of a limo and I ask him, "Need tickets, Red?" Red Auerbach. Red didn't need tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom