What is the #1 on the court shortcoming... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is the #1 on the court shortcoming...

Reaction Score
Pg play. Newton jumps and gets caught in the air so much, it’s so ridiculous for a player at this level. I really think he can play better but is lacking confidence big time. March is about guard play, it worries me a bit tho I think Hawkins will ball out. Gotta have better play from Newton.

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain Why Newton isn’t penetrating and drawing fouls like he did at ecsu? Didn’t He average almost 20 ppg doing that last year or were all the scouting reports about him wrong?

If he did it before Im confident he can do it again even without being focal point of the offense. we only need him to do it a couple times a game/crunch time to make a difference

Edit- AJ can’t finish so let him focus on facilitating by making him the de facto PG. that Moves Newton off ball so he can focus on attacking. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with any of the above posts, but over the past few games, being undefeated seemed to stunt our growth. Losing may have lifted a weight off our shoulders and free us to become an even better team. I also think tournament formats, where there's less time off between games, play to our strengths -- most teams are a band of five; we're more of an orchestra.
Yes, Absolutely should open us up or loosen us up to be great

Reaction Score
I think Newton has to get the message that he needs to be more aggressive. Drive to the hoop and put a shot up. He’s been focusing on distributing more since this team has so many options but we need someone to take it to the hoop strong. If he doesn’t make it, he has a good chance to get fouled.

Diarra has shown the ability in limited action. Andre too at times but that horse has been beaten to death.

Reaction Score
Discipline, on the court and on the bench. Three Ts in three games is stupid…..period. No excuses.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Game was lost to due to too many guys not playing to their strengths, pressing their luck and having it bite them at the worst possible time.

1. AJ not realizing the D wants him jacking 3's. That he made a few doesn't excuse setting at the end of the game.
2. Same with Sanogo and jump shots.
3. Hurley and the T. Moronic under any circumstance. Worst play of the game.
4. Karaban getting in foul trouble because he's a freshman stuck against experienced bigs.
5. Hawk not getting open from deep and messing around inside.
6. But mostly, a horrible defensive effort. I swear it seemed like every open shot went in for X.

Sanogo couldn't be stopped in the post in the 2nd half no matter how many guys were on him. Needed more of that all game.

Not a horrible loss and winning the return is a must. Just disappointed they choked away a very winnable game.

Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to learn how to pass out of double teams better.
Yup, one play they triple teamed him and it was an easy strip. Sanogo's selfishness has telegrsphed to everyone scouting him how easy it is. Adama says, "Pass out of a triple team? It'S a-no-go."

Reaction Score
1. AJ not realizing the D wants him jacking 3's. That he made a few doesn't excuse setting at the end of the game.
Yup, not who should be shooting end of game 3's. Also, 1:15 left and they were hoisting them like there was 3 seconds left on the clock. Need to learn some composure.

Reaction Score
Dribble penetration = apply the pressure…get the defense to start thinking

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH has to stop with keeping lineups in a game when the mismatches and shortcomings are apparent.
Recognize that AS has become a defensive liability when playing not to foul. If Newton and Alleyne cant run the point stich with Diara - his energy is better than nothing.
He expounds about the depth but is hesitant to use it at crucial times
If he doesn't correct this there will be no huge successes

Reaction Score
...........we need to correct to challenge for the national championship. I have my opinion. What is yours?
Well, im pretty concerned that Sanogo is a weak defender in the post 1v1 against any big that has any type of scoring ability or size. DH is still getting outcoached in the final minutes of close games and the T was inexcuseable and pretty much sealed our fate. we dont have a floor general. Hawk needs to come up bigger than what he was today.

Reaction Score
@auror, we shoot 20.8 per game barring the Xavier game so maybe just feels like it after that game? Don't get me wrong I love drawn fouls since they are all upside.
The last 4 games in Big East play we shot 29, 30, 30, and 37 3's. We shot 30 3s in 2 of the other 11 games, and in both games we were absolutely on fire (making >43%). Didn't sniff that % in any of these 4 games. 2 of the 4 games in that stretch we shot less than 10 FTs.

Reaction Score
We're two dimensional. We only feed it into Sanogo and take a bunch of threes. We don't have anyone that can drive to the basket effectively.
In the early season cupcake games, Newton did a lot of driving to the basket.

Maybe better competition and /or losing the ball on his drives, stifled his initiative.

AJ rarely drives to the basket and shoots when he gets there.

Reaction Score
...........we need to correct to challenge for the national championship. I have my opinion. What is yours?
I think we stop point guards from driving into a crowd under the basket without having a clue about what is going to happen next.

Reaction Score
Today the problem was defense. Danny even said it in the huddle on TV.

Reaction Score
Firstly a little better driving and spacing in the paint. Also lately Karaban hasn't been draining 3's at the usual rate and Joey C has kind of been invisible. Other than that we're a young team with a lot of pieces but you can't count on ever having 3 or 4 Senior starters nowadays. We're doing pretty good, but matchups, hot teams, and other things can factor in to getting dinged now and again. Consistency is a key for any team, but for this team the season depends on putting it together down the stretch. Coach can't approach every practice and every game like the Super Bowl or guys will burn out and not just physically.

Reaction Score
Yup, not who should be shooting end of game 3's. Also, 1:15 left and they were hoisting them like there was 3 seconds left on the clock. Need to learn some composure.
When your Coach loses it there's a trickle down effect.

Reaction Score
Certainly not the number 1 issue but a glaring weakness is that we have four important rotation players that aren’t much of an offensive threat. If anyone told me before the season started that on a lot of nights we would get almost no offense out of the combination of Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra I would have said this team is in big trouble. Luckily the offensive contributions from Clingan, Cali, and Karaban have helped make up for that. Unfortunately when Clingan and Cali’s minutes are down rim protection, rebounding, and scoring points is even tougher. Imagine how good we could be with just a bit of consistent offense from Newton and Alleyne. I don’t mind Diarra not being an offensive guy if he can continue doing the things he’s doing, but it would be nice if the other two (or at least one of them) could bring some offense to the table fairly consistently.

Side note: Adama had 1 rebound against Nova ALL GAME! (And 7 points). Hurley has to give Clingan more minutes when Sanogo is overmatched. It’s not rocket science. We have the best freshman big in the country. Clingan will make freshman mistakes but he’s already a better rebounder, shot blocker, pick and roll player, and passer out of the double team than Adama is (And probably a better overall defender). You can also just throw the ball up to him in the post over everyone else. He has skills (and height) that no one else on the team has. When he’s on the court he has a big effect on the game. He makes things happen on both ends that no one else can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom