What is likelihood of another championship during Hurley’s new 6 year contract? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is likelihood of another championship during Hurley’s new 6 year contract?

Reaction Score
Realistically winning it all is a tall order. Hurley needs a capable team, good player health, and a satisfactory ncaa draw. I think we are capable this year with Clingan as our unicorn. However, plenty of capable teams have had key injuries at tourney time to stars, or to depth, that have undone them. I do think he will get to the elite 8 maybe 3x in these 6 years and then you never know. I certainly don't think betting, 'no championship', is a safe bet. I kinda think we're going to get another, and, it wouldn't surprise me if it was this year.

Reaction Score
Nerd alert

If UConn enters each of the 6 seasons with top 10 odds that puts them at +1700 on average or a 1/17 probability which equates to a ~30% chance they win once in 6 years.
/thread

Reaction Score
As long as he continues recruiting like he has been . I would say the possibility of at least one more is 75% .
and multiples (2) 50/50, 3 (20)
Hurley is better equipped to deal with the celebrity that comes with that success than Ollie . Plus Ollie even with 100% effort couldn’t recruit the Northeast base like Hurley can for a variety of reasons.including Northeast connections plus being able to attract a top staff . Ollie was a California kid which helped get a trickle of West Coast guys like Hamilton, Daniels , and even Akinjo . But he struggled to recruit our key area.
Sustaining a dynasty is 75% recruiting
if you look at UCLA and Duke . The first NC or FF were surprises but additional ones were because great kids wanted to play there. To sustain you need to be getting a flow of top guys .

Reaction Score
Keep bringing in talent like Hurley is and give them good coaching and there's a good shot at another in the next few years. I never guarantee anything (unless we're playing Butler or San Diego State in national title games....), but I like our chances.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would argue that the probability is 50/50 at least because of how UConn dominated the recent drive! Hurley has implemented a winning culture! The one very critical variable is keeping the present coaching staff!!!
This will be the last year with this current staff. Unfortunate. But that is a byproduct of success. Hurley is gobsmacked that Luke and Kimani aren’t ALREADY head coaches.

Reaction Score
I would argue that the probability is 50/50 at least because of how UConn dominated the recent drive! Hurley has implemented a winning culture! The one very critical variable is keeping the present coaching staff!!!
Tom is probably a lifer.

Kamani will leave sooner than later for a head coaching spot. He is already a hot commodity. I'm surprised he is still here, although the oppty for a second NC may be enticing him to remain.

Luke probably will be leaving within a year or two. Both Kamani & Luke are elite recruiters & I assume can coach at the highest level.

Danny's contacts & his executive decision-making will be tested by how chooses his next round of assistants. He has been strategic & on point so far, so I believe he'll do just fine.

Reaction Score
Calhoun won 3 in 26 years. While I'm impressed by and love Hurley, I am not ready to say he's better than JC. first few years for JC was building the program, like Hurley, so let's say he won 3 in about 24 or 1/8 of the time. 6 years is a little less, so I go with about a 10% chance. If Clingan stayed through his junior year, I would increase it. What was great about last year is that Hurley knew what he had in Sangogo and built a team that complimented him near perfectly. DC was a surprise and Sanogo himself improved his game.

Reaction Score
UConn has been winning Titles this century at roughly a 22% clip. If we use that as our baseline, then the odds of winning one in the next 6 years (17%) seem pretty good. If I was Vegas or DraftKings, I would give even odds and get a lot of action.

Reaction Score
Winning the championship is really hard. The most talented and beat coaches team doesn't usually win.

I expect a couplefew elite 8s/final 4s. A championship would be gravy on top.

This. The basketball gods have smiled on us a couple times so our perspective is out of whack. Look at Izzo. He’s revered in the college basketball world and he’s got one in almost 30 years at MSU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun won 3 in 26 years. While I'm impressed by and love Hurley, I am not ready to say he's better than JC.
Fine, but Hurley's ahead of his pace. Then again he was ahead of his pace before the season started.

Reaction Score
Winning the championship is really hard. The most talented and beat coaches team doesn't usually win.

I expect a couplefew elite 8s/final 4s. A championship would be gravy on top.

I have a bone to pick with you on your logic and math here. If the past is any indication, we will win NC at close to 50% when we eke out to elite 8. (5 out of 12 times), and once we are in final 4, we practically lock up the NC (5 out of 6). So when you say to expect a couple or few elite 8 or final 4s, you know you are expecting NC at a probability of higher than 50% . Am I rite? ;)

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Even giving it a 1/3 probably over the next 6 years is pretty bullish. You could argue that he has a good a chance as any coach but even still it’s hard to win in any given year.

Right now the team with the best odds to win is Duke at 12 to 1 (and we all know how Vegas works so we can safely assume the actual odds of it happening are worse than that). Using those odds for six years (so essentially assuming you’re the number 1 team every year), there’s a 60% chance you won’t win a championship. Again, given you’re not going to be the team most likely to win every year and Vegas odds being juiced, the chance of not winning in 6 years for any program is probably higher than 60%.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We're in the mix, just need to finish

Reaction Score
It would be quite something if Hurley wins another one. It's not only amazing they've won 5 in 25 years but with 3 different coaches.

This basically means that UConn won't suffer the syndrome of having success tied to a coach.

When they go hunting for the next guy after Hurley leaves, they're will be no concerns about following in anyone's footsteps. Either you're a good coach at UConn, or you're not. No excuses.

Reaction Score
Typically I would say highly unlikely but with the way this staff recruits and with the roster construction and coaching I wouldn't at all be surprised to see another championship. Something else that factors into it is there's so many question marks with the other top programs minus Kansas (If Self is fully healthy.) Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Nova, Louisville all have major question marks and I don't believe in them until I see it.

It's incredibly hard to win a championship. Peaking at the right time, lack of injuries, luck etc. are almost always involed. We should have the ability to compete with and beat anyone next season. Back to back is not at all out of the question.

Reaction Score
At least 50/50. Luck and health matter but I wouldn't trade our coaches for anyone else's. We are at the point of just reloading. I think our team is better on paper this year going into season. I think Hurley now uses the refs cheating against us as a learning tool that makes us better in tournament.

Reaction Score
I honestly think this year’s team going to win it all, if they stay healthy.
Quite possible but of course we need players to play well, stay healthy, get a decent draw, get good matchups, some upsets and some luck. We’ve done it more than any other team in the last 24 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom