What if | The Boneyard

What if

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PP manages to beat MD? How many are still calling for his head on a platter? Is he already past the point on no return?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
PP manages to beat MD? How many are still calling for his head on a platter? Is he already past the point on no return?
IMO, he needs 8 regular season wins to be retained.

Reaction Score
He's damn close. There are some alarming trends that one win will not make go away. We have looked unprepared and outreaches in the Towson and both Western Michigan games. In short, he may win,the occasional big game but sucks all other times. A winning season brings him back not just one win against umd.

Reaction Score
IMO, he needs 8 regular season wins to be retained.

In line with my thinking. I don't think 7 gets it done, but I think PP would be jumping up and down arguing improvement at 6 or 7 wins. Seems like a tall order to fill to get to even 6.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Having followed PP's career, one legit knock is even his best teams have WTF losses and his bad teams have WTF wins (see UofL last year).

I fully expect we'll beat either MD or Michigan.

But unless he gets to 8 wins (7 + bowl works), I don't see how you keep him.

Reaction Score

I had said in another thread that this is the "show me" year in PP tenure here for me. Week 1 "showed me" nothing but poor preparation and a team who came out emotionally flat. A singular win against Turtle U doesn't prove anything. Need to see progression (or lack thereof) week to week. Still think if he's 0-4 after Buffalo - they make a change during the bye week leading up to USF @ the Rent.

Hope he hits 8 wins and rides off into the sunset on a high note (dream).

Reaction Score

Hope UConn beats Maryland. I will still call for his head. He can't save the season unless he beats Maryland, Michigan and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Really hard to judge a season based on 1 or 2 games. The Towson loss was the worst in the program's history -- and I thought Temple at home last year was awful. But it's really hard to say until you get a sense of how things are going. Maybe Boyle comes in at halftime next game and kills it and we go on a huge tear and we all wonder how we got as far as we did on Whitmer. You never really know.

... I should probably smoke less methamphetamines, though.

Reaction Score
One win doesn't mean squat. It will take an absolute miracle for this team to perform at the level required to save P's job.

Reaction Score
I think he needs 8 wins now. Maybe 7 if one is Michigan. I'm not particularly convinced that Maryland is anything special by the way. They might win 6-7 but they played Old dominion and have FIU coming up, so they should be 2-0 coming into the Rent. And they have BC, NC State, Virginia, Syracuse and Wake in the conference so even if we win, 7 is extremely doable for Edsall's crew.

Reaction Score

Only if he fires GDL, and wins at least 7 regular season games. Both need to happen and both are extremely unlikely.

Reaction Score
PP needs to be able to beat the competition that he is expected to beat. A one off win against a better opponent cannot be his saving grace. We need to be winning the games that we are supposed to win, plus have those random victories against better foe.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think he needs 8 wins now. Maybe 7 if one is Michigan. I'm not particularly convinced that Maryland is anything special by the way. They might win 6-7 but they played Old dominion and have FIU coming up, so they should be 2-0 coming into the Rent. And they have BC, NC State, Virginia, Syracuse and Wake in the conference so even if we win, 7 is extremely doable for Edsall's crew.

Edsall was one of the most efficient coaches I've seen at beating teams he should beat.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
As others are saying, the judgment will be over the course of the season, unless were o-fer heading into USF. Even then, I don't know if P gets fired on the spot or is asked to resign at the end of the season. I think the minimum is 7 wins, with signs of momentum and positivity in the program for P to survive. So for argument's sake, let's pencil in buffalo, Memphis, SMU, Temple. That's 4. If we're being optimistic, Rutgers and USF is six. He still needs to beat one of Maryland, Michigan, Cincinnati, Louisville then. Now coaches don't think this way but you can see how beating Maryland would help the math.

Having said that I don't think we beat Maryland and we probably split RU/USF at best, and probably drop at least one of SMU and temple. For all I know we could get beat by Memphis or UB. We'll have a new coach at the end if the season.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
As others are saying, the judgment will be over the course of the season, unless were o-fer heading into USF. Even then, I don't know if P gets fired on the spot or is asked to resign at the end of the season. I think the minimum is 7 wins, with signs of momentum and positivity in the program for P to survive. So for argument's sake, let's pencil in buffalo, Memphis, SMU, Temple. That's 4. If we're being optimistic, Rutgers and USF is six. He still needs to beat one of Maryland, Michigan, Cincinnati, Louisville then. Now coaches don't think this way but you can see how beating Maryland would help the math.

Having said that I don't think we beat Maryland and we probably split RU/USF at best, and probably drop at least one of SMU and temple. For all I know we could get beat by Memphis or UB. We'll have a new coach at the end if the season.

There is no chance on this beautiful green earth that anything like what you suggest comes even close to happening. UCONN gets L's to SMU, Temple, Rutgers, USF, Maryland, Michigan, Cincinnati, and Louisville. W's to Buffalo and Memphis. I think Taggart will have USF off the short bus and back on the big kid bus before seasons end.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How about we cross that bridge when we get to it?

Reaction Score
Only if he fires GDL, and wins at least 7 regular season games. Both need to happen and both are extremely unlikely.
Is there a buyout for GDL, maybe Coach PP could pay it himself since he is taking the state's money without putting in a real effort. Yes I know long hours don't mean a thing if you are treading water.

Reaction Score

Past that point but I still hope they go 11-1!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My preseason opinion was that Pasqualoni needed to finish 8-4 in the regular season to get us to a good bowl game. That hasn't changed, I think. It's just going to be a heck of alot tougher to get there if we can't beat the weakest opponent on our "best schedule in the history of schedules". Ironically, I think his chance to get to my magical 8 win mark would improve greatly if he removed GDL from OL duties (and the team completely).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

We are not hung up on the loss, we are hung up on the same old same old that is leading to these losses. If we run the ball effectively, block for the QB, pressure the opposing QB in a crisply played game and still lose to MD, we won't be nearly as cross, and we'll still want him gone.

If we win, we'll still want him gone.

Can he save his job, yes. But it's a lot harder now. Finish the OOC 2-2 and win 5 conf games plus the bowl game and look better doing it. Winning ugly does nothing for him.

Reaction Score
PP beat Maryland on the road last season and he still should have been fired. The only way he would get my support for being on the field next Saturday would be if he was an assistant on Randy Edsall's staff. Then I would be pleased with his accomplishments.

The problem is with the man's very existence - as UConn's head coach. He never should have been the choice - too old, too boring, too unimaginative, and . . . too boring. So see its UConn's fault, they hired an old man to do a younger fellows job. Does this mean it's strictly a function of age? Hell no, Bobby Bowden could have had this program at 10-2 by last season.

Reaction Score

Good analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member