What if PAC 12 tries to go to 16 with Big 12 teams? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What if PAC 12 tries to go to 16 with Big 12 teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
i would rather play usf in fball becuase they will actually have a fball team. miami's brand will be dead soon enough believe it or not usf seems to be building a little bball program and so does ucf. whats miami been up to lately?

Better question - what have USF/UCF Football been up to lately? USF beat Clemson and UCF beat Georgia 2 years ago. Any other significant accomplishments that is going to make Miami fade into oblivion?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Better question - what have USF/UCF Football been up to lately? USF beat Clemson and UCF beat Georgia 2 years ago. Any other significant accomplishments that is going to make Miami fade into oblivion?

Hey! USF beat ND last season. Come on! We'll just forget that they ended the season with 5 straight losses and were not bowl eligable....but hey, they beat ND!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
hugh? so u just told me that 2 rising teams are in fact rising? what am i missing? did miami beat one of those schools in a sport recently or something? omg thats crazy! congrats miami! thats a bump in the road in a overall trend. miami football is about to get the smu smack. miami bball has done what exactly meanwhile ucf has gone from nothing to in convo and usf bball went from nothing to ncaat last year. both usf and ucf are not far behind in baseball and are ahead in soccer. and so on...usf has a 60k place to play and its in talks about a on campus 50k place. ucf just built a 40k place that they are already talking expansion as they upgrade conf's. maimi puts 25k in and calls it a sell out vs duke.

when miami fball is doing ok or better, they draw national tv views, the problem is that they won't have a fball team soon so then how does having miami help uconn at all???

I'm sorry Dan. Like I've said before, you're a great fan and an awesome guy on the Boneyard, but I'm not going to sit here and debate the pros and cons between Miami and USF/UCF.

Agree to disagree.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Dan. Like I've said before, you're a great fan and an awesome guy on the Boneyard, but I'm not going to sit here and debate the pros and cons between Miami and USF/UCF.

Agree to disagree.

I think the problem is that HuskyfanDan is looking at this from the perspective of USF having some nice wins over some big named teams in the last 5 years or so (a couple were already named), but ConnHuskBask is also dealing in the reality that you are much more likely to see a Miami hat or jacket on a random kid in any given state. Miami as the brand is better, Dan! We cannot realistically argue that, even if USF's product has been better.

You might get a sturdy pocketbook from TJ Maxx, but if it doesn't say "Gucci"....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No one is raiding the Pac 12, and at this point it doesn't appear that the Pac 12 will ever raid the Big 12. Boise State and BYU are the only two candidates for expansion in the West. Boise State is a national brand with good attendance in a decent sized city. I believe they are expanding the stadium, and with a better schedule, would probably expand it again. The basketball program sucks but would probably still win 5 or 6 conference games in a Pac 12 that is pretty awful top to bottom. I believe Boise does play a sport or two in the Pac 12 already.

BYU is a tremendous national program with a large following and is strong in football and basketball. It would be a strong financial addition to any league, particularly one like the PAC 12 that has its own network, but its leadership is a giant pain in the to work with, and it has embarked on this independence mission that seems like program seppuku to me.

Boise would be the third best football program in the Pac 12, and BYU would be about the 5th or 6th. BYU would have won the league in basketball the last two years. Those two are it though. Everyone else out there is such a huge drop off in terms of fan interest and national presence that they are not worth discussing.
the problem is that a) the PAC already has a presence is Utah, b) the cultural issues with adding a Mormon university are significant, and c) Boise State is an absolute joke academically. I don't mean like Arizona State is a party school and the second best state u in Arizona; I mean like it's a clown college. It might be the third best state u in Idaho. Maybe.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
all good. i just think people here are thinking short term and not long term. bball and not fball. those thoughts are how u could kill uconn off instead of help it continue to grow.

miami fball is not going to be in good shape very soon. i rather be in a conf with fl schools. its a big part of our recruiting as PP has shown. if 2moro we woke up to a acc invite with ruty, most here would be thrilled. but then next week fsu/clem goto the b12. ahh ok but i still like the acc alot better than the nbe. but next summer when the b12 grabs gt/md and the sec and b10 add schools and were left with bc/cuse/duke and wake how are you going to feel? were locked into a crappy acc contract with a couple bball schools. now we just officially killed our fball program.

I know what you're saying but what happens if UConn stays put, Rutgers says yes to the ACC and since UConn said no, they turn to USF. Cincy and Louisville get Big 12 invites. Boise and SDSU stay put in the MWC or one gets a Pac-12 invite since RU/UL/UC/and USF are gone. Now UConn is alone in the NBE for how many years? If it lasts long enough it can totally kill the football momentum we've built. No recruit will want to come play for this school. This scenario is far-fetched but what here hasn't been in some way, shape, or form.

UConn's in a tough spot. I can't see them saying no to the ACC. I can't see anyone saying ok to that decision and then watching the ACC move on to Rutgers and someone else. Even if the rest of your plan plays out in a year or more. I just don't see UConn in the B1G. I know you're a true believer in this but I just can't possibly see it.....

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
the problem is that a) the PAC already has a presence is Utah, b) the cultural issues with adding a Mormon university are significant, and c) Boise State is an absolute joke academically. I don't mean like Arizona State is a party school and the second best state u in Arizona; I mean like it's a clown college. It might be the third best state u in Idaho. Maybe.
Agree that BSU is low level academics. But BYU ain't just Utah. You're talking 6 million LDS in the US and 14 million worldwide. Less than 2 million of that is in Utah. If you can deal with the religious piece, they've got strong TV numbers.

Reaction Score
What if the SEC wants UNC and UVA over NC St and VT? You have to think the SEC would target the flagship schools in a state. UNC and UVA identify themselves with Southern schools over Midwestern schools and they were in the Southern Conference years ago with the SEC schools. This might help UConn's chances of finding a home in the Big 1G.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The only scenario that makes sense to me for the PAC is 4 associate members in Basketball. They could find 4 basketball programs in the West to enlarge their carrier Footprint and Asian strategy and do so without giving them a full share. Five year contracts to Gonzaga, Nevada, New Mexico, and Air Force or something like that.

Reaction Score
1-academics.
2-unc bball would be better off with ind/mich/michst/uconn potentialy vs uk and fl.
3- the sec would not take uva over vt.
4-while unc would be the home run vs ncst, unc will go where it fits academics and vision wise.

I disagree. I think UNC and UVA alums see themselves as Southern schools, not Midwestern schools. Plus, you always go after the flagship school in a state, not the also ran, so they would take UVA over VT. Besides, the SEC has enough good football schools, this is about markets.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The Pac situation is the leading reason why there won't be 4 sixteen team power conferences. They have no other option but to either

a) poach from the Big 12

or

b) the big schools get together and rationally create the 4 new conferences.

I don't see either of those scenarios happening. Therefore, there has to be a fifth conference, at least, as a home for as many as 16 schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom