What Happens If we're REJECTED!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Happens If we're REJECTED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
wasn't ever "my" position. it was reported by ESPN.

ESPN lied. I am sure it is not the first time. Anytime there is something negative about the BE, ESPN is pretty much all over it. For years they been questioning BE's BCS bid while never mentioned ACC's BCS bid once.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am not questioning the general theory on how ESPN has treated the BE but in this specific case, Boise St as a BE football candidate and ESPN attempting to sabotage this move, it makes zero sense. The way things are shaking out, the only college football product that can be viewed as close to quality that isn't under ESPN's umbrella (save the SEC's partial deal with CBS) is the MWC (and soon CUSA). The best move EXPN could make would be to take the best part of that product (Boise St) from Comcast. Boise St moving to the BE would do that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we all take a breath and realize that the "football only" schools cannot possibly accept an invite until they have a home for their other sports programs. It may well be that they cannot find one, at least in the case of and Boise. So considering the Conf-usa meger, and the fragility of the BE, a rejection wouldn't be that surprising.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
WAC has already said they will take Air Force and Boise for non-football sports. There are probably some details to work out though. The biggest problem with Katz's story and the hysterical ranting that followed it on this board is that invitations haven't actually been issued, so they couldn't have been declined.

Reaction Score
Marinatto is not running this ship. Any conference alignment is being run by the presidents of the BE university. Marinatto is just their messenger.

ESPN is at risk if all the optimum moves take place for the BE.

The BE is still a formidable BB conference. If they add a Temple or a Butler, that would undo some of the lost cache by Cuse and Pitt leaving. BB will still be impacted but the conference will remain a force in the college bb landscape. The arrangement of adding football only schools does not dilute the basketball side of the equation.

The football additions are critical. Forget history. People watch winners. People shift their viewership faster than ever. Loyalty is diminishing. The loss of Cuse and Pitt is not critical in football. The addition of Boise is critical. Adding Airforce, SMU, Houston, Navy and UCF, could be very attractive to Comcast/NBC. People were talking about the BE getting a big upgrade in its contract in 18 months before the Cuse and Pitt defection. The increased monies were based on comparisons with other conferences. And most people said football was the mover. So how does the loss of Cuse and Pitt, two mediocre football programs, and the addition of a Boise state, two Texas teams, and service academies, look less attractive to the media football wise?

I would love to see these schools come in. And I would love to see a bidding war between Comcast and the ESPN for the BE.
They may add Temple (prefer an upgraded Villanova) but you can forget about them adding a non football school like Butler; just don't see that happening. The bottom line is losing Pitt and Cuse was an enormous loss and all the options are less attractive alternatives.
The one positive of this is the proposal to have 2 BE commisioners: 1 for football and 1 for basketball. It is nuts having the basketball schools voting on football issues.

Reaction Score
Notice how all this conference re-alignment talk has diverted everyone's attention away from major college football scandals(Miami, Ohio St, USC, Auburn/Miss St to name a couple) and the fact that the BCS contract is almost up and the conversation should be about a National Championship playoff system. Those BCS committee members sure are clever. They have everyone looking away from the real problems in D-1 football.

Reaction Score
SMU in the Big East. Now if that isn't a last gasp attempt at keeping this thing afloat nothing is. SMU, the only school to lose it's football program entirely due to major NCAA infractions. Now Miami might be the next one to get the "Death Penalty"(and at that point might be a candidate for further Big East expansion...lol). And just as a side note: Once SMU finally re-started their football program who was the first team they played and beat? You guessed it..... UConn!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ESPN lied. I am sure it is not the first time. Anytime there is something negative about the BE, ESPN is pretty much all over it. For years they been questioning BE's BCS bid while never mentioned ACC's BCS bid once.
well i certainly hope that's true. obviously my first preference is for UCONN to join ANY other BCS league if they can. if not, and they are stuck in what's left of the BE, they might as well make it as strong as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom