What Happens If we're REJECTED!!!! | The Boneyard

What Happens If we're REJECTED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The mere fact that this is even a possibility is gut wrenching, but the conference officials from the MWC and Conference USA sure seem confident in their ability to keep their teams in their new 22 team super conference. To say I have been following conference realignment news non-stop for 3 weeks would be an understatement, but if we are REJECTED, I literally have no idea what in the world The Big East would do. Are we really headed toward a conference with Temple, UMass, and other insignificant schools? Worse yet, if the remaining Big East schools start getting invites to other conferences, are we in danger of being a school with no home? I realize that UConn has a huge TV market, and a huge brand name, but the longer this goes on, the more and more worried I am that we are going to be the odd man out. There's only so many seats at the Big Boy Tables. Any suggestions on what the Big East might do next, besides wave the white flag?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think we all have to find a new sports network to watch.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The Big East football conference falling apart may actually be in our best interest. If the Big East loses UConn, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati....then Notre Dame will leave as well and finally join a conference. Then conference realignment craziness will open back up...and UConn will find a spot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East football conference falling apart may actually be in our best interest. If the Big East loses UConn, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati....then Notre Dame will leave as well and finally join a conference. Then conference realignment craziness will open back up...and UConn will find a spot.

No it won't. The Big East falling apart would be catastrophic for our program.

I am not worried about getting rejected. NO news source but ESPN is reporting anything but likely acceptance of the offers, with the possible exception of Navy.

Reaction Score
If Bosie and AirForce turn us down I propose adding Temple and Xavier for all sports and stopping at a 10 - 20 league. Hopefully the Catholic schools would give the football schools Temple if the football schools agreed to add Xavier.

If Temple and Xavier don't work how about Memphis and Butler. That would be a heck of a basketball league.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am a bit stunned that any adult would require the amount of attention that you solicit. Exactly how many threads within the conference realignment forum have you started over the past week? I've lost count.

You need to stop with your sky is falling and ESPN is behind it mantra. We will survive if the BE (as a football conference) doesn't.

ESPN has done numerous things over the years that can be called into question but nothing that has been reported by them tonight on this specific subject can be viewed as irresponsible journalism. There are significant numbers everywhere in the college football fandom that want to hear every shred of information possible. You wouldn't get the reactions you receive to your ridiculous postulations if this was not the case. ESPN (through Katz) is merely reporting what they are hearing. No more, no less.

For your conspiracy theory, wouldn't it be to ESPN's benefit if the now marquee program (Boise St) in the one product that belongs to their competition (MWC) were to move to an ESPN property (the BE)? They are not sabotaging this. The leadership of this conference evidently made the critical error of not having a strong handle on what the answer would be prior to going public with the invitations to Boise St and Air Force. They should have been far more intelligent in the manner in which this was handled.

Reaction Score
Adding UCF, SMU, and Houston would be enough for the BE. Honestly, Boise was a stretch as they may not sustain their success and then you are stuck. Look at Utah. Now they have to play real teams every week and all of a sudden they are having a poor season. And, how long will their coach stay? The service academies would be nice for name recognition, but less so for football success.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boise State and Air Force have said no. Navy will likely say no. UCF will say yes. waiting on SMU and Houston.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
source?
ESPN ticker. "Air Force and Boise State are unlikely to join according to sources per Andy Katz. Boise STate indicated that they are likely to remain in their current conference, Air force soured on the plan after Army declined, and Navy remains skeptical."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel dirty any time I chime in in any of the expansion theads, BUT, if we gain SMU, Houston and UCF, that gives the BE a footprint in the Dallas, Houston and Orlando markets.

Not my preference for teams, but any sane person would give away Pitt's and SU's media footprint for SMU, Houston and UCF.

Reaction Score
That ticker is still running. I guess Marinatto's grand plan forgot to include schools that said "yes".

Houston and UCF would join ni matter what. But to be turned down by boise St. and ? Egads.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN ticker. "Air Force and Boise State are unlikely to join according to sources per Andy Katz. Boise STate indicated that they are likely to remain in their current conference, Air force soured on the plan after Army declined, and Navy remains skeptical."

Boise board is trashing ESPN right now and celebrating an invitation to the Big East.

We shall know by tomorrow if there is a dialogue or if you are right.

Reaction Score
I dont blame Air Force or Boise. A bunch of the original 6 could be gone in a month, a week, or a few days, no matter what the exit fee is. It's too risky for them.

Reaction Score
Navy must be looking at the $10M exit fee and laughing like hyenas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I dont blame Air Force or Boise. A bunch of the original 6 could be gone in a month, a week, or a few days, no matter what the exit fee is. It's too risky for them.

If there is no Big East, no one is coming to get them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If there is no Big East, no one is coming to get them.

They likely don't need anyone to come get them. They will be fine in the merged MWC/USA and will quite possibly have a BCS bid.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I don't think that Boise St and Air Force are off the table for the Big East. The only people reporting that they have declined the BE invitation is ESPN. If you listen to the ESPN reports, their source is that the MWC and CUSA leaders told ESPN that Boise St, Air Force, SMU, and Houston all voted for the merger and told the conference officials they were committed to the league. But we all know how much that 'commitment' really means. That was before they were officially invited to the Big East.

I think that ESPN is jumping the gun here. I really find it hard to believe that the Big East is stupid enough to invite schools if they didn't already work out the details of the acceptance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They likely don't need anyone to come get them. They will be fine in the merged MWC/USA and will quite possibly have a BCS bid.

I am talking about the Big East 6.

There is ZERO chance of the merged CUSA/MWC having a BCS bid. Too many lousy programs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think that Boise St and Air Force are off the table for the Big East. The only people reporting that they have declined the BE invitation is ESPN. If you listen to the ESPN reports, their source is that the MWC and CUSA leaders told ESPN that Boise St, Air Force, SMU, and Houston all voted for the merger and told the conference officials they were committed to the league. But we all know how much that 'commitment' really means. That was before they were officially invited to the Big East.

I think that ESPN is jumping the gun here. I really find it hard to believe that the Big East is stupid enough to invite schools if they didn't already work out the details of the acceptance.

I think ESPN has simply manufactured the story to try and embarrass the Big East. NO ONE ELSE is running this story, which would be huge if true. No one is tweeting it, nothing. Furthermore, the Big East won't issue invitations until Monday, so there is nothing to reject for Boise, AFA or Navy. Finally, the MWC/CUSA merger is an indication those leagues know they are having big losses.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I think ESPN has simply manufactured the story to try and embarrass the Big East. NO ONE ELSE is running this story, which would be huge if true. No one is tweeting it, nothing. Furthermore, the Big East won't issue invitations until Monday, so there is nothing to reject for Boise, AFA or Navy. Finally, the MWC/CUSA merger is an indication those leagues know they are having big losses.

The source is Andy Katz. He has some basketball sources, but does not have sources to this level. Katz's sources are the MWC and CUSA commisioners...who of course have a little bias and would never say otherwise given their position. The report is simply wrong at this point.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, we will find out in a few days. I am more worried about losing West Virginia and Louisville in the long run than whether we get Boise or not. And they should likewise be worried about us and Rutgers. $10 million exit fee sounds like a lot until you compare it to other conferences, esp. if that 10 mil is inclusive of relinquished TV rights. Whatever happens this is not going to be a stable situation for even two years, unless we can get Comcast to splurge on an over-market contract that blows ESPN's ACC contract out of the water. If I were Navy I'd stay the duck* away, but that's just me.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The source is Andy Katz. He has some basketball sources, but does not have sources to this level. Katz's sources are the MWC and CUSA commisioners...who of course have a little bias and would never say otherwise given their position. The report is simply wrong at this point.
I'm guessing Katz has access to provosts, BOGs, vice presidents, etc. through his bball and athletic department connections.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I'm guessing Katz has access to provosts, BOGs, vice presidents, etc. through his bball and athletic department connections.

His sources that he used for his report are officials from the MWC and CUSA....not from any of the schools themselves. He is being told what the MWC and CUSA comissioners want him to hear. Until his sources are from BSU, Air Force, etc...then I will be concerned.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

That's really funny. You can't believe that Marinatto is that stupid? He and the other idiot (former NFL commish Tagliabue) are the ones who put the Big East football league into the final death spiral it now suffers. I wouldn't trust either one of them to take out my garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom