What do you think about the one year audition for KO? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you think about the one year audition for KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You guys are drawing an awful lot of conclusions that have no support whatsoever.

The people who are criticizing the AD here seem to be the same people who thought that JC should be able to just pick his successor, end of story. They are wrong on both points.

This is wrong.

There are anti-Ollie posters here who made the same points.

Reaction Score
JC hurt the program by putting the AD in a situation where he was forced to hire the guy JC wanted rather than letting the AD do his job. This hurts the AD's credibility with other programs, it subverts his authority, and it's not good for the program.
You ask nothing but straw men questions that can easily be flipped back at you. What happens when Ollie flounders? What happens if Warde hires a stud to replace him? What happened to UNC when they made an assistant the replacement for Dean Smith? How do we know Warde isn't the best AD in the country if we don't let him do his job?

Warde Manuel was hired to pick coaches and run an athletic department. If we're not going to trust him to do that job, we should release him.

And you're certain JC wasn't coming back to coach before he broke his hip?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The people who think JC hurt the program by not letting Warde Manuel pick his own guy are out of their freaking mind. Why would you have more faith in a football guy over our hall of fame basketball coach? Why do you automatically assume Warde would have picked a superstar? What happens when JC and the extended UCONN family he brings gets pushed aside and Warde hires a dud?

What happened to Indiana when they pushed Knight out? Did they hire a superstar? They are Indiana, they must have hired the right guy. Kentucky has had coaching failures, UCLA has gone through a number of failed coaches.

How do we know Warde is any better then the BC AD?

The smart move is to do it JC's way first, if it doesn't work out at least they tried. We are one year removed from being national champions, we should be thankful that JC wants to stay involved.

This was not a careful choice the way it needed to be. JC guys have gone on to become head coaches elsewhere and have not exactly set the world on fire. I hope KO turns out to another HOF guy.

Reaction Score
And you're certain JC wasn't coming back to coach before he broke his hip?

No, I'm not. That doesn't mean I have to pretend that the timing wasn't harmful to the program. Broken hip or not, every year he has made it very clear he (like Dean Smith) would wait until the fall to make his decision.

Whether it was this year, or 4 years from now, when he retired, it was going to be in the fall, he's made that well known for some time. He was never going to retire in April of any year.

Just to be clear, I'm not upset with JC for the timing. He earned the right to retire whenever he wanted to. I don't begrudge him anything. But the facts are the facts. The timing, no matter what year it happened, leaves the AD in a situation where he has no choice but to promote an assistant. That's as good a compromise as should be made.

Reaction Score
This was not a careful choice the way it needed to be. JC guys have gone on to become head coaches elsewhere and have not exactly set the world on fire. I hope KO turns out to another HOF guy.

So being careful will increase our chances of finding another superstar. Tell that to Indiana fans. Tell that to Michigan fans.

How do we know JC wasn't careful in selecting Ollie? There are a number of branches on his tree he could have hired but he picked Ollie. All I know is Ollie joined the staff in 2010 and we went on to have probably our most magical season ever. Maybe JC knows Ollie's personality played a big role in that.

Reaction Score
No, I'm not. That doesn't mean I have to pretend that the timing wasn't harmful to the program. Broken hip or not, every year he has made it very clear he (like Dean Smith) would wait until the fall to make his decision.

Whether it was this year, or 4 years from now, when he retired, it was going to be in the fall, he's made that well known for some time. He was never going to retire in April of any year.

Just to be clear, I'm not upset with JC for the timing. He earned the right to retire whenever he wanted to. I don't begrudge him anything. But the facts are the facts. The timing, no matter what year it happened, leaves the AD in a situation where he has no choice but to promote an assistant. That's as good a compromise as should be made.

I wonder why people over at Syracuse aren't totally upset with Gross for signing off on Mike Hopkins. He must not have the balls to stand up to Jim Boeheim.

Reaction Score
How many of them went on to be highly succesful head coaches?

How many ended up better off as assistants?

Did you do a study to see how many people go on to become highly successful at top schools. Most get fired. Kentucky went from Pitino to Calipari, wasted a decade in between and sold their souls in the process. Indiana, UCLA, ditto. on and on. Transitions aren't easy even when you hire top guns. Chances for failure are high.

Yet there are examples of good successions out there if you care to luck, like Tom Izzo.

I'm not one who thinks Hobbs did a bad job at GW at all. And Leitao had the best DePaul team of the last two decades. Some jobs suck.

Reaction Score
I really like Kevin Ollie and I enjoyed his speech a great deal. I hope, and believe, that he will be a huge success.

If he was Calhoun's choice then we have to respect that. Calhoun really knows what he is doing.

There are some things I don't like about this. I don't like Calhoun backing the university into a corner so that his choice would prevail. JC retiring in September rather than April is part of this. I don't like the one season contract for Ollie. He should have gotten 4 or 5 years with a minimal buy out. Warde did not use good judgement here.

Reaction Score
I wonder why people over at Syracuse aren't totally upset with Gross for signing off on Mike Hopkins. He must not have the balls to stand up to Jim Boeheim.

I'm not sure what your point is. Gross made a decision, and until Hopkins has the chance to do the job, nobody knows how that will turn out.

Gross agreed to sign off on Hopkins. Manuel had no choice based on the timing. It's been obvious for some time that Calhoun wanted KO. If Manuel wanted KO he could have signed off on it at any time, but he didn't. Now he's stuck with him (and that may turn out to be a good thing, we don't know). However, the comparison to Cuse isn't accurate.

I hope Ollie is the guy. It doesn't change anything I've said, and your post here does nothing to disprove what I said.

Reaction Score
Did you do a study to see how many people go on to become highly successful at top schools. Most get fired. Kentucky went from Pitino to Calipari, wasted a decade in between and sold their souls in the process. Indiana, UCLA, ditto. on and on. Transitions aren't easy even when you hire top guns. Chances for failure are high.

Yet there are examples of good successions out there if you care to luck, like Tom Izzo.

I'm not one who thinks Hobbs did a bad job at GW at all. And Leitao had the best DePaul team of the last two decades. Some jobs suck.

When did I say transitions were easy, or that Manuel or Calhoun made a mistake by hiring Ollie?

All I said was Calhoun is no more qualified to hire a coach than the man who was hired to hire coaches. None of what you posted disproves that.

Who is responsible for hiring/firing coaches at UConn? You cut him off at the knees by not allowing him to do his job. I think they made the best decision possible in giving Ollie the job for one year. Ollie has an audition, Warde has time to continue to do a search behind the scenes and put out feelers to see who's interested.

My main point was, and remains, Warde should be allowed to do his job. I'm not sure how anything you've posted disagrees with that or if you're just disagreeing to be disagreeable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So being careful will increase our chances of finding another superstar. Tell that to Indiana fans. Tell that to Michigan fans.

How do we know JC wasn't careful in selecting Ollie? There are a number of branches on his tree he could have hired but he picked Ollie. All I know is Ollie joined the staff in 2010 and we went on to have probably our most magical season ever. Maybe JC knows Ollie's personality played a big role in that.

Missed my point totally. Maybe we wind up hiring Ollie anyway. This was not a search at all. You're choosing a CEO for a major corporation. Moreover, as much as I respect JC, what gave him the power or right to name a successor in a public university? That kind of is the AD's function.

Reaction Score
Did you do a study to see how many people go on to become highly successful at top schools. Most get fired. Kentucky went from Pitino to Calipari, wasted a decade in between The whole world thought Smith was a good hire, he had been a Pitino assistant, and they didn't exactly tank) and sold their souls in the process. Indiana (Who hired an inexperienced assistant), UCLA (UCLA was all over the map, but was doing pretty well until they hired "UCLA guys" Farmar and Hazard), ditto. on and on. Transitions aren't easy even when you hire top guns. Chances for failure are high.

Yet there are examples of good successions out there if you care to luck, like Tom Izzo. Izzo had a ton of support throughout the university.

This is an unprecedented situation, but your analogies kind of suck. Izzo is the only one remotely close, and he was a long-time assistant who was essentially running the program even before he was named as successor. UNC, SJU, OK State and DePaul are just as valid as comparisons.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your point is. Gross made a decision, and until Hopkins has the chance to do the job, nobody knows how that will turn out.

Gross agreed to sign off on Hopkins. Manuel had no choice based on the timing. It's been obvious for some time that Calhoun wanted KO. If Manuel wanted KO he could have signed off on it at any time, but he didn't. Now he's stuck with him (and that may turn out to be a good thing, we don't know). However, the comparison to Cuse isn't accurate.

I hope Ollie is the guy. It doesn't change anything I've said, and your post here does nothing to disprove what I said.

The comparison is entirely accurate. Hopkins is like Ollie and he's the HC's guy. Why isn't that accurate?

Reaction Score
When did I say transitions were easy, or that Manuel or Calhoun made a mistake by hiring Ollie?

All I said was Calhoun is no more qualified to hire a coach than the man who was hired to hire coaches. None of what you posted disproves that.

I trust an expert in the game of basketball more than I trust someone who does not have the same expertise.

Reaction Score
This is an unprecedented situation, but your analogies kind of suck. Izzo is the only one remotely close, and he was a long-time assistant who was essentially running the program even before he was named as successor. UNC, SJU, OK State and DePaul are just as valid as comparisons.

You're the one that came up with the analogies first. I think I pointed out in my post that all the analogies suck. Was I not obvious about that?

Reaction Score
The comparison is entirely accurate. Hopkins is like Ollie and he's the HC's guy. Why isn't that accurate?

In 1995 Hopkins was hired as an assistant in some capacity at Syracuse. He's been there for 17 years.

In 1995 Ollie was just finishing his UConn career and playing for the Connecticut Pride.

Hopkins is a 17 year assistant. Ollie is a 2 year assistant. They are nothing alike.

Additionally, Darryl Gross AGREED to name him a coach in waiting. It's pretty damn obvious that Manuel wasn't willing to do the same. But due to the timing, he really had no choice.

So no, in more ways than one, the comparison is entirely inaccurate.

Reaction Score
I trust an expert in the game of basketball more than I trust someone who does not have the same expertise.

Good for you. Unfortunately for you, the fact remains a major aspect of Warde Manuel's job description is to hire and fire coaches. Not Jim Calhoun.

If that's not going to be his job, then we need to pay him less, and find out if he still wants the job.

Reaction Score
In 1995 Hopkins was hired as an assistant in some capacity at Syracuse. He's been there for 17 years.

In 1995 Ollie was just finishing his UConn career and playing for the Connecticut Pride.

Hopkins is a 17 year assistant. Ollie is a 2 year assistant. They are nothing alike.

Additionally, Darryl Gross AGREED to name him a coach in waiting. It's pretty damn obvious that Manuel wasn't willing to do the same. But due to the timing, he really had no choice.

So no, in more ways than one, the comparison is entirely inaccurate.

You're another one that dismisses his NBA experience. 17 years to 2, right? That's the comparison?

Gross did the smart thing and took the expert's recommendation.

Reaction Score
Good for you. Unfortunately for you, the fact remains a major aspect of Warde Manuel's job description is to hire and fire coaches. Not Jim Calhoun.

If that's not going to be his job, then we need to pay him less, and find out if he still wants the job.

Unfortunately for me?

Who the hell gives a about me?

We're talking about an AD who signals to the world he's not behind the hiring of the coach.

Yeah, only good things can come of that.

Reaction Score

Who is responsible for hiring/firing coaches at UConn? You cut him off at the knees by not allowing him to do his job. I think they made the best decision possible in giving Ollie the job for one year. Ollie has an audition, Warde has time to continue to do a search behind the scenes and put out feelers to see who's interested.

My main point was, and remains, Warde should be allowed to do his job. I'm not sure how anything you've posted disagrees with that or if you're just disagreeing to be disagreeable.
This is so on the money, I can't disagree with any of it. The Syracuse comparison is foolish in my estimation, but if you want to insist on using it, don't forget that Hopkins has been on the Syracuse staff for 15 year, not 2 years. And by the way, Gross has on at least one occasion denied that Hopkins will automatically get the job.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3067256&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines

as far as the Ollie situation goes, i think this has been a complete and total disaster from virtually every angle. Calhoun screwed the University by pulling this crap this late so he could get his way on Ollie. Ollie himself is totally unprepared to be a head coach at a major D-1 power. And what the heck kind of head coach doesn't get to name his assistants? Not one. While I like Karl Hobbs, it is embarrassing that they announced that he was now going to become an assistant...Ollie didn't make that decision...Maybe they'll let him have input into the new director of operations...The athletic director has been cut off at the knees...now he knows i guess who actually runs the athletic department. Probably should have just let the interim guy keep the job. He made no pretense of not being in Calhoun's pocket.

This is the silliest hire since Notre Dame attempted to replace Dan Devine with Gerry Faust. And i can't remember a top program since that replaced its coach with someone as unprepared as Kevin Ollie is. there have been questionable hires in the past, but none quite so ridiculous as this one looks from anywhere but Calhoun's living room. i hope I'm wrong about this but I don't think I will be. I see this being a disaster in the making that could take a better part of a decade to undo. It could well take 3-4 years before anyone is willing to admit Ollie was a mistake (that is the typical run for these things), and another 4-5 before things get back on track...And if I'm Manuel, I'm putting my resume out on the street too...might as well go somewhere where they want a real AD, not a gopher for the best known head coach.

Reaction Score
You're another one that dismisses his NBA experience. 17 years to 2, right? That's the comparison?

Gross did the smart thing and took the expert's recommendation.

Jordan was the best ever. How's that worked out for him as GM?

How about Isaiah Thomas? There are plenty of examples of guys who had playing experience and couldn't coach.... and vice versa. The fact is, 15 years of coaching is different than 13 years of playing. Whether it's better, worse, or indifferent is unknowable (unless like you, we can predict the future and call Hopkins a success before he's ever coached a game).

Playing, coaching, managing. They are different skills.

You continue to ignore the positive things I've said about KO only to pick a fight. The fact is, no. 13 years of playing is not equivalent to 15 years of coaching. Ollie may very well be succesful. And I don't think Manuel made a mistake in giving him an audition. I've only said that if Warde wants to hire somebody else, that's the job we've hired him to do. He needs to be allowed to do it.

What's Hopkin's record as head coach of Saracuse? You're ASSuming he's going to be succesful. Nobody knows how that will work out.

Once again, Gross did what he WANTED to do. Manuel was FORCED into this decision. That alone makes the situations different. If Manuel had wanted to name Ollie the coach in waiting 2 years ago, that's his decision. He didn't make that decision though for a reason. He should be allowed to do his job, it doesn't matter who you trust more.

Reaction Score
This is so on the money, I can't disagree with any of it. The Syracuse comparison is foolish in my estimation, but if you want to insist on using it, don't forget that Hopkins has been on the Syracuse staff for 15 year, not 2 years. And by the way, Gross has on at least one occasion denied that Hopkins will automatically get the job.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3067256&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines

as far as the Ollie situation goes, i think this has been a complete and total disaster from virtually every angle. Calhoun screwed the University by pulling this crap this late so he could get his way on Ollie. Ollie himself is totally unprepared to be a head coach at a major D-1 power. And what the heck kind of head coach doesn't get to name his assistants? Not one. While I like Karl Hobbs, it is embarrassing that they announced that he was now going to become an assistant...Ollie didn't make that decision...Maybe they'll let him have input into the new director of operations...The athletic director has been cut off at the knees...now he knows i guess who actually runs the athletic department. Probably should have just let the interim guy keep the job. He made no pretense of not being in Calhoun's pocket.

This is the silliest hire since Notre Dame attempted to replace Dan Devine with Gerry Faust. And i can't remember a top program since that replaced its coach with someone as unprepared as Kevin Ollie is. there have been questionable hires in the past, but none quite so ridiculous as this one looks from anywhere but Calhoun's living room. i hope I'm wrong about this but I don't think I will be. I see this being a disaster in the making that could take a better part of a decade to undo. It could well take 3-4 years before anyone is willing to admit Ollie was a mistake (that is the typical run for these things), and another 4-5 before things get back on track...And if I'm Manuel, I'm putting my resume out on the street too...might as well go somewhere where they want a real AD, not a gopher for the best known head coach.

Talk about foolishness and inanity.

Just make stuff up and then pass it off as factual.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for me?

Who the hell gives a **** about me?

We're talking about an AD who signals to the world he's not behind the hiring of the coach.

Yeah, only good things can come of that.

Nobody.

But you wrote this.... not me.

So I responded.

We're talking about an AD who was forced to hire a coach. Yeah, only good things can come of that.

Reaction Score
Jordan was the best ever. How's that worked out for him as GM?

Playing, coaching, managing. They are different skills.

You continue to ignore the positive things I've said about KO only to pick a fight. The fact is, no. 13 years of playing is not equivalent to 15 years of coaching. Ollie may very well be succesful. And I don't think Manuel made a mistake in giving him an audition. I've only said that if Warde wants to hire somebody else, that's the job we've hired him to do. He needs to be allowed to do it.

What's Hopkin's record as head coach of Saracuse? You're ASSuming he's going to be succesful. Nobody knows how that will work out.

Once again, Gross did what he WANTED to do. Manuel was FORCED into this decision. That alone makes the situations different. If Manuel had wanted to name Ollie the coach in waiting 2 years ago, that's his decision. He didn't make that decision though for a reason. He should be allowed to do his job, it doesn't matter who you trust more.

Another totally silly analogy.

There have been lame-brained people playing sports. They are not suited to coaching.

The rap on Ollie is that he didn't play 13 years because of his athletic prowess or his skills. He was a heady player, good PG. in that respect, he was similar to Billy Donovan who had a couple year of assistant coaching, a couple years of mediocrity at Marshall. But then he stuck around as a mentor as well. In other words, comparing Jordan to Ollie is totally lame, especially when there are many other players out there that do go into coaching and experience a varyind degree of success.

You're actually asking me if I'm trying to be disagreeable and you wrote that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom