What Do We Do In Practice? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Do We Do In Practice?

Reaction Score
Do they shoot in practice? It seems like everyone is being forced to shoot in the game, no one seems like they want to outside of Cole. All around troubling trend...very panicky on offense
I honestly wonder about this. Been wondering what the emphasis is for a couple of years now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If there is a coach out there that can get the same recruits we’re getting now and can coach against a terrible WVU offense for an easy win, I’ all aboard. Really. How much of a leash will we continue to give DH. He cannot coach.
I agree. He can recruit and motivate. He’s terrible at X’s and O’s. I basically expect it by now. Biggest play of the game, out of a timeout, and we can’t even get a look.

Reaction Score
There's a lot more to it than that I'm afraid. My confidence is totally shot in any type of close game where we have the lead. Not able to extend the lead, not able to hold onto the lead, not able to run anything for easy scores, taking the hot hand out...

This has been the narrative for too long. I really want to go on Kenpom and aggregate all the close games and see the result. Along with the lack of killer instinct to finish out games up 5 up 7 ... whatever with 6-12 minutes left.

This L is even tougher because now we have another tough match-up on Saturday (add on the pressure here) and then Big East play.

Sanogo's (back, leg, abs?) and Martin's wrist are really hurting us and these things have real effects on our resume come March. Really lucky we stacked 2 wins in the Bahamas.

Reaction Score
We took out Cole up 5 when we had all the momentum. It was idiotic.
He wanted to rest him for the stretch run. Unfortunately there is no great time to bench Cole. He is our entire offense and playmaker right now. If we did it when we were losing people would have flipped also and we would have lost more ground. Play him 40 minutes and people will Blame Hurley when he gasses at the end. No great choices there.

Reaction Score
He wanted to rest him for the stretch run. Unfortunately there is no great time to bench Cole. He is our entire offense and playmaker right now. If we did it when we were losing people would have flipped also and we would have lost more ground. Play him 40 minutes and people will Blame Hurley when he gasses at the end. No great choices there.
You don’t do it right there. A young team, up 5 with momentum on the road. You go for the kill. Not take out the hottest guy on the court

Reaction Score
Here we go! It’s all the coaches fault. How many threes did Villanova brick last night? Should they also fire jay wright because the kids couldn’t shoot last night! Maybe you wanna be the coach?
It’s not about one game. And DH can’t hold Jay Weights clipboard so stop with your ridiculous comparisons. Tell me all of the times we’ve outcoached or outplayed the opposing team in the last 5 mins of a close game? Its become too predictable over the last coupon of years (Mich St and tonight his year). We don’t know how to win when it come down to possessions and execution. The wrong people take the shots and we play panicked.

Reaction Score
Here we go! It’s all the coaches fault. How many threes did Villanova brick last night? Should they also fire jay wright because the kids couldn’t shoot last night! Maybe you wanna be the coach?
Comparing Jay Wright to Danny Hurley, ha.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Last I saw Nova figured out a way to win.

Reaction Score
You don’t do it right there. A young team, up 5 with momentum on the road. You go for the kill. Not take out the hottest guy on the court
When do you do it then? Last 3 minutes when he is exhausted? The reality is he can't come off the court but also needs a rest at some point. If he was gassed the end and it cost us the game, people would be pissed at that say he should have sat some. We are over reliant on Cole but have no other good options there. I'm not saying this so you agree with me. Just saying so you appreciate the tough dilemna that Hurley has. He has to try to steal some minutes at some point. Would you rather when we are down 5?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It isn't just this game. It's a pattern. Hurley obviously can't make wide-open 3s for the guys on any given night. But The reality is that Hurley doesn't have the flexibility and quick thinking to coach games with the big guns. Huggins outcoached him late in this game. It is what it is. I've looked up the stats before... his record in games in the last 5 minutes or OT is abysmal. Anyone not willing to admit that isn't watching close enough or doesn't know ball.
Yup. Disturbing pattern of having a lead with under 3 minutes to play and completely folding

Reaction Score
This had to be one of the worst exhibitions of UCONN basketball that I have ever seen. Can you play an entire game and not do one thing well?

Reaction Score
Jesus people, this team has two losses, one to a very good Michigan St team without Whaley and one to a pretty decent WV without Martin and Sanogo. The fact there are people questioning the coaching and effort of the team is laughable. Those two games are played at full strength and UConn is currently 10-0, without a doubt, and these same people would be arguing why we aren’t #1 in the country and be mad at the AP voters. There are just some people that always have to find something to complain about. You are all a joke.

Reaction Score
Yup. Disturbing pattern of having a lead with under 3 minutes to play and completely folding

I've just resigned myself to the fact that right now, it isn't possible for Hurley to be the coach that has creative solutions to problems late in games. He isn't going to throw in a 2-2-1 press to throw off the other team's rhythm for a possession, or think 2 steps ahead and be prepared for adjustments other coaches make like Calhoun did. He just doesn't have it in him.

Some coaches can't recruit, but are brilliant in games. Some coaches have transfers out the wazoo. Hurley is really, really good at everything except game day. We're a really, really good team at full strength. Our recruiting kicks ass. We've got enough to beat all but probably 5 teams in America on any given night. We're entertaining as hell to watch.

Reaction Score
Teams dig in on defense at the end of games. There are timeouts and strategic defenses are set. It's no wonder we struggle at the end of games. We have lacked shooters, creators and ballhandlers for years. We have one reliable ball handler and even he get's trapped easily because of his size, turnover prone players that have zero shot clock awareness, lousy shooting and today we were missing 2 of our top 3 players. Today Gaff had a terrible turnover, we had a shot clock violation, and Polley, a 5th year senior, hucked up a turnaround 3 with a reset shot clock. All that happened in the last couple of minutes. Hurley is not without blame but the players share a big part of it as well and then some.

Reaction Score
Can't believe you got a dislike on your post. When someone gets fatigued they tend to get slower but most importantly they will be more prone to some kind of injury. So let's lose Cole and then see what happens, even with Sanogo and Martin back. Talk about a problem.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Do they shoot in practice? It seems like everyone is being forced to shoot in the game, no one seems like they want to outside of Cole. All around troubling trend...very panicky on offense
There has to be more than one guy in five who has a green light.

Reaction Score
Can't believe you got a dislike on your post. When someone gets fatigued they tend to get slower but most importantly they will be more prone to some kind of injury. So let's lose Cole and then see what happens, even with Sanogo and Martin back. Talk about a problem.
No one is saying play Cole the entire half. You play him until you lose the momentum. You don’t shut your own water off. Make WVU stop him or let him get cold. We were humming because of Cole, and then he subbed him out. He did Huggins a favor

Reaction Score
No one is saying play Cole the entire half. You play him until you lose the momentum. You don’t shut your own water off. Make WVU stop him or let him get cold. We were humming because of Cole, and then he subbed him out. He did Huggins a favor
The point is that he has to sub him at some point. At what point would you have subbed him? The game was so tight all night long.

Reaction Score
The point is that he has to sub him a some point. At what point would you have subbed him? The game was so tight all night long.
I just told you. At the point he subbed him out we had built a 5 point lead and we’re humming with momentum. You ride that momentum out. Simple. Was he got cold, or the momentum seemed to have slowed, then you give him a rest. You never know where that momentum could have taken us. We could’ve stretched it to 10. Then you have a greater cushion while he’s resting. You don’t sit the hot hand

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom