What Bob P said Geno A said about Moriah J | The Boneyard

What Bob P said Geno A said about Moriah J

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I mentioned this in the game thread, but thought it was worthy of its own thread.

Bob said during the broadcast that Geno thinks Moriah has a chance to start at PG NEXT YEAR. That was surprising. Not quite promising her the starting gig and anointing her the savior like a certain HC of a certain program south of the Mason-Dixon did vis a vis an incoming recruit, but still a bit out of character for Geno, no?

Could we see a starting lineup of MJ, Bria, KML, Kelly, and Stef/Kiah next season? With Breanna, Kiah/Stef, Caroline, and Morgan in regular rotation (maybe Banks and Buck situationally)? Not certain, but there is certainly going to be crazy depth.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I know Geno is very high on MJ, so it was not a big surprise that he said that, even though he does not like to start froshies. I regard it as merely an extension of his "earn your playing time in practice" credo.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think that Bria is a great 2...she is a sensational player, but probably more a 2 than a 1, don't you think? I know it's not supposed to matter...but there you have it. Has MJ got a good outside shot?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I think that Bria is a great 2...she is a sensational player, but probably more a 2 than a 1, don't you think? I know it's not supposed to matter...but there you have it. Has MJ got a good outside shot?

"Mighty Mo is a very dangerous (good) outside shooter. She can score from all over the court -- in balance, out of balance, on the run, driving the lane, pull up jumper, and from way downtown.

In short -- she can put the ball in the basket; and she loves taking the BIG SHOT when the game is on the line. She is a very confident shooter.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First to answer your question... Moriah has a solid outside shot. the videos i've seen of her show her launching it with accuracy, but those are highlight videos so i'm not sure what her shooting % is.

the evaluators said that as a junior, she may be a bit more of a natural shooting guard and that she may have some adjustment to that at the college level should she be asked to be the 1. i imagine she will have a learning curve. i'm VERY suruprised to hear Geno say something like that. of course, he said she has the chance to be the starting PG - key on the word "chance". this would mean that either Caroline, KML or Kelly comes off the bench.

at this point i have no idea who the starters would be. part of me wants the best players on the court, which would include Bree, but i don't think Geno starts them unless he has to. the combo's are just mind blowing.

Moriah, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef would be my guess if Geno were to start MJeff, but he could start senior Caroline and elect to bring KML off the bench like he did this year. IMHO, having Caroline on the court starting with Moriah would take some of the pressure off MJeff since CD has been the starting PG all this year.

of all the players coming in next year, i really thought Moriah would struggle the most. she's been home schooled, lived in a warm climate, and never been on a US National team. i'm not sure if she's even traveled for AAU ball. i thought she'd get to UCONN and struggle a bit with the culture shock - the intensity of the practices, the weather, home sickness, and all the pressurs of playing on the nations biggest WCBB stage.

But apparently Geno knows something I don't - shocker!! :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
He did just say there's a chance...I mean, Bria started at PG her freshman year. Not unheard of. Moriah is amazing, I've seen her a few times. She will have to get a little stronger to be able to finish at the basket at the next level, but she's going to be special.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She has travelled a ton with AAU and her high school team. I'm sure it will be an adjustment for her, but it would be for anyone and I'm sure she took this into consideration. I am so excited to see her with a UConn jersey on!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
at this point i have no idea who the starters would be. part of me wants the best players on the court, which would include Bree, but i don't think Geno starts them unless he has to. the combo's are just mind blowing.
It is mind numbing because we're literally going to be the "Dream Team". It's like having to decide whether Magic, Larry or MJ will start or come off the bench...good Lord! The only known knowns I'm certain of, are Bria and Kaleena as starters.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He did just say there's a chance...I mean, Bria started at PG her freshman year. Not unheard of. Moriah is amazing, I've seen her a few times. She will have to get a little stronger to be able to finish at the basket at the next level, but she's going to be special.
Bria did indeed, but only because there really was no choice.

ETT, my expectation is that Breanna will come off the bench as a freshman, as that is is Geno's preference with freshmen. But she will play a LOT.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I heard that, but like everyone else has said I hear the word "chance" and took it a different way.

What I caught from Bob/Megan was how there talking about playing time next season! His statement(I dont wanna repeat) could have impact or rather make some kids think a little harder..........

Reaction Score
It's like deciding whether Curly, Larry or Mo comes off the bench!

PBDTHST-EC029.jpg

Reaction Score
Wholesale, hockey-style "line changes"...five at a time, and we run teams into the ground!

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in the game thread, but thought it was worthy of its own thread. Bob said during the broadcast that Geno thinks Moriah has a chance to start at PG NEXT YEAR. That was surprising.
I love it! Couple a three of us have said this possible. Could be two frosh starters! Moriah, Bree, Kiah, Bria, and Kaleena. Hey! They all can score. Defense inside would be scary.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
What no mention of Morgan Tuck? Obviously, there is going to be a tremendous amount of competition for playing time next year...

Reaction Score
1. I think it would be good to remember Geno's words on the difference between his past players, current players, and recruits at the recent live Geno Show. The past players and recruits are amazing and the current players are horrible. Moriah is still in the newborn recruit phase and Geno is proud of the recruiting battle he won, just wait until he has to change the first diaper. 2 years ago Geno was comparing Bria Hartley to Sue Bird and calling her the best point guard in the country as a high school player. 18 months later he was declaring that Bria wasn't a point guard. There is plenty of truth in the things that Geno says, but take them literally at your own peril.

2. I don't completely trust Bob as an accurate filter of Geno's opinions. Bob's instinct is to grab on to what makes the best copy over accuracy. He is looking for the soundbite as his job requires, not the nuanced reality. Bob is putting out a press release, not a scouting report.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
put "chance" in front of the comment and its all good... amazing :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wholesale, hockey-style "line changes"...five at a time, and we run teams into the ground!
The toughest question may be whether to go with 2 minute line changes or to make the changes at media timeouts. ;-)

Reaction Score
The toughest question may be whether to go with 2 minute line changes or to make the changes at media timeouts. ;-)

Like I said in another post we could break up into an A team and a B team.
At the tournament we could wind up playing ourselves for the NC, a no lose situation.
What do you think?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Like I said in another post we could break up into an A team and a B team.
At the tournament we could wind up playing ourselves for the NC, a no lose situation.
What do you think?
I think the talent we will have has that potential. What emerges will need to be seen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll see what we can find in terms of stats, but I think these were MJ's shooting percentages a while ago:

FGs 53%

3-Pt 45%

FT 83%

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm getting the feeling we may have a decent team next year.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
it's funny. 'cause I've see a couple comments by folks reflecting on UConn's losses and positing about the future about women's basketball.... and it's clear they have no idea what kind of impact the young pups could have.... heh. heh. heh.

Reaction Score
Stewart won't start?
A few days ago I suggested that next season Bianna Stewart might be starting , since by Geno own words she could be the best player huskies have ever recruited. She has a ton of international experience already. At that time that idea was poopooed my certain people on this board, stating that Geno would never take CD or KF out of the lineup. Well, you can only start five players. Now Geno says it's possible MJ could be the starting point guard next year. Perhaps none of us should be so rigid about what may or may not happen. Apparently, Geno isn't.

Reaction Score
If we remember the last time Huskies had that much depth, 2000-2001, Geno used to sub in units of 2 or 3 at a time. He had different, I called them "modules", for different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom