What Bob P said Geno A said about Moriah J | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Bob P said Geno A said about Moriah J

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I see MoJeff as potentially a very good freshman contributor for us, but at the position Geno has her pencilled in (PG), it will take a bit longer to get her sea legs in all likelihood. I'm much more optimistic about freshman contributions from Breanna, because it's easier for someone to step in with defensive intensity and rebounding than it is to smoothly direct the UCONN offense.

Kiah is already having a serious impact in this area, and by Geno's many statements she was not the most intense player in the first half of the season. OTHO, Stewart is said to have an off-the-charts motor and is a step above Kiah in the talent category (no slight to Kiah). By Thanksgiving, Breanna will probably be performing like the current Kiah on steroids, and it will only go up from there.

It will be very interesting to see how Kiah has progressed by that time so that while Stef is on the bench she can play the 5 while Breanna takes the 4. I think Kiah can develop into a good 4 and does well enough in the Twin Towers, but she is more used to the 5 and seems tentative when facing the basket. She likes posting and back-to-the-basket stuff. Against quicker teams, an inside combo of Stokes and Stewart could be devastating. They might have more blocks than rebounds :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few days ago I suggested that next season Bianna Stewart might be starting , since by Geno own words she could be the best player huskies have ever recruited. She has a ton of international experience already. At that time that idea was poopooed my certain people on this board, stating that Geno would never take CD or KF out of the lineup. Well, you can only start five players. Now Geno says it's possible MJ could be the starting point guard next year. Perhaps none of us should be so rigid about what may or may not happen. Apparently, Geno isn't.
One more time...

Since Day 1 of Geno's reign, the starting players have been determined by the outcome of the preseason practices. No one is guaranteed a starting spot, even returning starters. In November, if the coaching staff determines Moriah is the best point guard to start the game, then she will start. If not, she'll come off the bench. Having said that, Geno has always been reluctant to start a freshman over an experience player as it puts undue pressure on them.

And, btw, consult a mirror before calling others rigid in their opinions.

Reaction Score
First of all I never
One more time...

Since Day 1 of Geno's reign, the starting players have been determined by the outcome of the preseason practices. No one is guaranteed a starting spot, even returning starters. In November, if the coaching staff determines Moriah is the best point guard to start the game, then she will start. If not, she'll come off the bench. Having said that, Geno has always been reluctant to start a freshman over an experience player as it puts undue pressure on them.

And, btw, consult a mirror before calling others rigid in their opinions.

Reaction Score
of all the players coming in next year, i really thought Moriah would struggle the most. she's been home schooled, lived in a warm climate, and never been on a US National team. i'm not sure if she's even traveled for AAU ball. i thought she'd get to UCONN and struggle a bit with the culture shock - the intensity of the practices, the weather, home sickness, and all the pressurs of playing on the nations biggest WCBB stage.
Not to mention the regimen of college classes, whether boring, fascinating, or something in between, and the due dates.

Reaction Score
I don't recall singling anyone out. I just thought it might be a possibility. Apparently Geno thinks it's possible too. I don't recall being rigid about it . And of course the preseason will determine things. Mirrors work for everyone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll see what we can find in terms of stats, but I think these were MJ's shooting percentages a while ago:

FGs 53%

3-Pt 45%

FT 83%
Early season stats (as of 12/17) from Jim Fuller:

"On the season she is averaging 17.8 points, 4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 6 steals while shooting 49.7 percent from the floor including 48.7 from 3-point range."

Reaction Score
MJ will be able to deliver the ball into the post which the current players are having difficulty. Talk about shooters from all over the court and the ability to run and press 10 deep........OUCH!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
MJ will be able to deliver the ball into the post which the current players are having difficulty. Talk about shooters from all over the court and the ability to run and press 10 deep........OUCH!!
Funny, Bria and Tiff could pass into the post last year. Guess they forgot how.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Funny, Bria and Tiff could pass into the post last year. Guess they forgot how.
Yeah, but last year Stef wasn't getting double teamed with collapsing defenses as often.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, but last year Stef wasn't getting double teamed with collapsing defenses as often.
sooooo Dolson has NOTHING to do with this "problem"?

Reaction Score
It's like deciding whether Curly, Larry or Mo comes off the bench!

PBDTHST-EC029.jpg

Curly has the best 3point shot

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
sooooo Dolson has NOTHING to do with this "problem"?
No, she does but not as much as many people think. Stef's problems have less to do with entry passes than what she does do with the ball when they are late or in poor position.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It's been siad many times that who starts doesnt matter. Geno will go with experience,and give 2 of the freshen extended time. Sometimes a starter may come out after merely 3 minutes, Make of that what you will.. Seems no doubt that all 3 pledges will play good minutes
next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc