What’s the long term plan for Amari? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What’s the long term plan for Amari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Purely rhetorical/IMHO observations here. Lauren Betts was ranked #1 in 2022 class, Juju Watkins #1 in 2023. Did Betts look like the #1 high school player last year? Not really. Watkins on the other hand, does look like #1 was warranted. In 2020, Amari was ranked #15, Citron #16, however the latter has certainly had a better college career to date. In 2019, the top players were Haley Jones, Horston, Boston, Cooke, Rikea Jackson, and Brunelle. In college, however, I'd give the edge to Boston, Houston, and Cooke. Rikea and Brunelle are tbd as they are not finished yet.

Now, this is where we might get into some debates. In 2017, it was Megan Walker, Westbrook, and Boothe. I had high hopes for Walker, and IMHO, her progression to "senior" year was ok, but not spectacular. Westbrook, on the other hand, had pretty good last two seasons at UConn. Was she a better HS player than Walker? Maybe. UConn had the #1, 13, 16, and 29th ranked players, and other than Walker, no one else panned out in relation to the UConn expectations.

My point in all of this, is that ranking services will fall in love with certain players, whether it's speed, skill, height, or many other factors. The rankings are mostly directionally accurate (that's my hedge), but not a predictor of how well a player does in college. There are sooooo many factors that go into the transition of a HS to college player, where sometimes it moves in an upward trajectory and sometimes not. Was Amari truly #15? At that time, probably yes. However every time I see a thread on Amari with all the questions, demands, critique, etc, my heart falls. She seems like a good kid. She loves the team and they love her. And before anyone comments on how that's not enough, she's still on the team and that's good enough for me as I have no insight as to what the coaches' expectations are, or anything of that ilk. Let Amari be Amari.

(a lot of these thoughts are from reading the article about Mir today)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's not true [that she won't rebound unless it bounces to her] ive seen Amari battle fight and get on the floor for rebounds

Both things are true. There's a lot of work preparing for effective rebounding and Amari doesn't do that work. Positioning, footwork, seeing where all the players are, judging angles, thinking ahead, remembering what she has been taught, always thinking to move to improve her position. She simply doesn't do any of that.

But I don't question her desire, effort or skills: if the ball happens to be in her neighborhood she will often fight for it just as hard as anyone else. If she has the ball and she happens to see a space to move to or a passing opportunity that's in the direction she happens to be looking she will put effort into executing and she has skills and can look good. Better than good. That's why it's so maddening.

I don't think there's any player in recent history I empathize with and root for more in the moments she comes into a game. I'm exhausted from it. Poor me: being an excessive fan(atic) is sooo hard.

sun

Reaction Score
Amari is a narrowly specialized player at this time.
She's like a long snapper in football. All the long snapper does is snap the ball to the punter or to kick field goals. They only play on the special teams.

If there's one job that UConn needs Amari to do is to help deny passes to opposing superbigs under the board which is how SCar uses Cardoso.
And then Amari just needs to stand between her & the basket.
She only needs to sub in there for a few minutes & see how it goes.
It's just basketball 101.
What's the big mystery about?
No one else will be able to stop Cardoso either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Purely rhetorical/IMHO observations here. Lauren Betts was ranked #1 in 2022 class, Juju Watkins #1 in 2023. Did Betts look like the #1 high school player last year? Not really. Watkins on the other hand, does look like #1 was warranted. In 2020, Amari was ranked #15, Citron #16, however the latter has certainly had a better college career to date. In 2019, the top players were Haley Jones, Horston, Boston, Cooke, Rikea Jackson, and Brunelle. In college, however, I'd give the edge to Boston, Houston, and Cooke. Rikea and Brunelle are tbd as they are not finished yet.

Now, this is where we might get into some debates. In 2017, it was Megan Walker, Westbrook, and Boothe. I had high hopes for Walker, and IMHO, her progression to "senior" year was ok, but not spectacular. Westbrook, on the other hand, had pretty good last two seasons at UConn. Was she a better HS player than Walker? Maybe. UConn had the #1, 13, 16, and 29th ranked players, and other than Walker, no one else panned out in relation to the UConn expectations.

My point in all of this, is that ranking services will fall in love with certain players, whether it's speed, skill, height, or many other factors. The rankings are mostly directionally accurate (that's my hedge), but not a predictor of how well a player does in college. There are sooooo many factors that go into the transition of a HS to college player, where sometimes it moves in an upward trajectory and sometimes not. Was Amari truly #15? At that time, probably yes. However every time I see a thread on Amari with all the questions, demands, critique, etc, my heart falls. She seems like a good kid. She loves the team and they love her. And before anyone comments on how that's not enough, she's still on the team and that's good enough for me as I have no insight as to what the coaches' expectations are, or anything of that ilk. Let Amari be Amari.

(a lot of these thoughts are from reading the article about Mir today)
And that's why most of the competent coaches pay no attention to rankings done by web sites and put in as much time as possible seeing the kids play against good competition during the summer tournaments. They have their own projections based on their own eyes and ears and those of their staff's. It's parents and fans who get excited about those "insider" rankings.

Reaction Score
Amari seems content and happy to be on the team.Will she develop enough to become a starter or earn more playing time? Maybe, maybe not. She is positive and upbeat on the bench during games. Not every player that puts on the UConn uniform will develop enough to become a starter. It is not shameful or sad. Not every player gets to play 20 or more minutes a game. She is showing great character and class be staying with UConn instead of bailing, like so many players now do. Perhaps she realizes she is not an all star and is okay with that. She will get her education and move on. Go Amari.

Reaction Score
You can’t teach height, but you can all the rest. Bigs take time, Amari is taking her time. Leave her alone!

Reaction Score
Let's see if she gets any PT against UCLA & Kansas which are played 2 days in a row.
She can block shots.
Each team has a superbig & she can try to help slow them down.
at the very least she has five fouls to give that might otherwise go to other players trying to stop the likes of Betts and other bigs.

Reaction Score
If DeBerry was half of Kiah Stokes this UConn team would be a different team. Stokes has always been a great defender, shotblocker and learned to rebound well. She was a liability offensively when teams decided not guard her and doubled everyone else.

DeBerry has not shown offensive or defensive. Geno called her one of the most skilled bigs he's seen in a while and in hindsight I believe he was trying to build her confidence because Piath Gabriel gave UConn more than what Deberry is giving.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You know, I really do not know Amari and I do not know why Geno parks her on the end bof the bench, but I can see that she has been relegated to obscurity as Geno has done to many of his recruits of the past. She is an adult and should act responsibly on a scholarship and Geno should actively cultivate her skills. I do not know why she could not be really used where her skills and size really are positive for this team. Every year so much waste. It is shameful.
The coaching staff sees her in practice as well as in the games. She has had numerous opportunities to help the team and she hasn't shown much. My guess is that she hasn't demonstrated or doesn't have either the skills or the attitude to be a meaningful contributor and that is why her PT is so limited.

Reaction Score
You can’t teach height, but you can all the rest. Bigs take time, Amari is taking her time. Leave her alone!
That is ridiculous. How much time do the coaches need to teach basic skills? Geno says that they don’t coach effort at UConn. Amari is an adult with years in the UConn system, so fair expectations are warranted. I played a D-1 sport and never thought for a second that my scholarship was for being a good person or team-mate.

Reaction Score
You answered your own question. If she proves to be ready, she will play! If not……
I can't believe she has not improved in three years at Uconn, some of the blame has to go to the coaching or lack their of. She seems pretty athletic but has not improved at all.

Reaction Score
If DeBerry was half of Kiah Stokes this UConn team would be a different team. Stokes has always been a great defender, shotblocker and learned to rebound well. She was a liability offensively when teams decided not guard her and doubled everyone else.

DeBerry has not shown offensive or defensive. Geno called her one of the most skilled bigs he's seen in a while and in hindsight I believe he was trying to build her confidence because Piath Gabriel gave UConn more than what Deberry is giving.
Then we need a recruiter for Bigs since we have failed on that. We have done a poor job recruiting bigs.

Reaction Score
People are not recruited at UConn to act as team social director. If this was in Amari's mind she should have gone elsewhere ... very elsewhere.
You know that Geno isn’t obligated to keep players on the team, right? Obviously she has value in his mind or he would have told her (subtly or not so) to go somewhere else. Geno recruits players who will be good TEAMMATES first and foremost.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That is ridiculous. How much time do the coaches need to teach basic skills? Geno says that they don’t coach effort at UConn. Amari is an adult with years in the UConn system, so fair expectations are warranted. I played a D-1 sport and never thought for a second that my scholarship was for being a good person or team-mate.
A few times, Geno has mentioned that there are quite a few skills that players have not been taught due to the proliferation of AAU games, where there's little practicing and mostly games. So, when they get to UConn, there are times where the skills have to be taught.

PvP

Reaction Score
A disservice in the sense that I’m sure the intention when recruiting her wasn’t to be a bench player and would assume she had other aspirations as well. If she and the team are happy with the role she plays for the team the that’s great! I see glimpses of good basketball when she does get some time, just wish I could see more.
I wish I was watching the same games you apparently are. I can't recall the opponent but within a minute of Amari entering the game, she had thrown the ball directly to the other team -- TWICE. I'm certain that Geno would play her, particularly given our lack of height, if he had ANY trust in her game. The fact that she is the last of the bench and only in the depth of garbage time speaks with absolute clarity, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Liv's natural position when she was recruited wasn't a 5. She played the 5 out of necessity. I didn't use the term "random". You did. Basketball is a game of matchups. Sometimes you need a big body. They don't need to be uber athletic to be effective in the right condition against the right team. Czinano wasn't athletic, but effective. Big T wasn't uber athletic. Ayoko Lee isn't athletic. What they have in common is rebounding. They present second chance opportunities. They block shots at the rim. Yes. UCONN has had injuries, but guards aren't the issue these past few years. Rebounding is the problem. You can have all the athletic guards in the world, but if you can't get clean rebounds you will be playing a lot more in the half court against set defenses.
Liv was a natural 5 for College for UCONN. She was not recruited as a primary 4.

And DOrka was also a big body. And if Edwards and ICE aren't "space-eaters" in terms of body type when it comes to rebounds, then what is?

As far as Liv and Edwards, in Liv's sr year the Indiana coach spoke of her surprise how physical UCONN was. Tara V spoke of how UCONN was physical inside. UCON got to finals despite all the injuries and were physical team with size. In Liv's jr year, UCONN lost two games. One was to Arkansas, and the other was to Arizona. Hardly teams with size and space eaters more of note than UCONN's. On the flip side that year UCONN beta the bigger teams with space eaters South Carolina and Baylor. .

And I disagree that guards haven’t been a big issue – they have been with injury the past few years. OF they have been. UCONN lost the best guard in all of WCBB last year. Plus Azzi was hurt. When you speak of matchup’s - exactly what UCONN was anticipation that they were going to use their matchups at the guard positions in which both Paige and Azzi were highlighted as "generational." That was the UCONN matchup and injuries have destroyed all that. UCON's strength was going to come from elite perimeter play from more than 1 player. Thos slower bigs would never have been able to defend UCONN's offense if not for injury other than a random offnite game. Which even SC loses to Iowa has shown on the other side can happen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Then we need a recruiter for Bigs since we have failed on that. We have done a poor job recruiting bigs.
You must have posted this a dozen times and I’m pretty tired of it. You’re basically a men’s board poster and it shows - you don’t follow or know much about recruiting in the women’s game. Unlike the men, 6-4, 6-5 players are rare. Look at the list below and tell me how many are available. Geno could recruit outside the top 50, and he has, but unlike the men, there’s a pretty significant drop off in talent at a certain point.

And Geno’s had several bigs that appeared to be locked up but negative recruiting, a parent’s preference for another school, or some other factors have interfered. Most famously, Brittany Hunter wanted to come to UConn years ago but she was 17 when she signed her LOI so she needed a parent’s signature. Step-dad wanted Duke so she went there instead.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes people never see. Geno doesn’t ignore bigs. It’s not like he can order a kid to come to UConn. Geez.

Of the below list, Brynn McGaughy is a recruit as are 6-5 Layla Hayes, 6-3 Lara Somfai and 6-2 Ayla McDowell. There’s a list post at the top of the board

87706822-386E-4B88-A2D3-8B9C50B3DE1E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Very rarely has she done anything positive for the team when she has been on the court. It may be sad, but that’s the way it is. Her treatment has been fair, certainly not shameful.
I thought she played okay last season when Cd was running the team during Geno's illness. Some players respond differently to the way a coach approaches their coaching and I sense that Geno has a way about him that doesn't help Amari be confident and her best. The same can be said about the way Amari plays or practices. She might do things exactly the opposite of what is expected from Geno.

My comment isn't to blame one or the other but rather to shed light on the challenges of coaching high achieving female athletes. Typically you identify the differences in recruiting but sometime you just end up with the oil and water.

Reaction Score
To add to your points it is interesting that many of the arguments for using Amari are we need a true 5, saying we are using 4's at the 5 or IMO maybe 4/5 types. The way Amari plays isn't very similar to a 5 or a post player at all. She may be 6-6 but as Husky Nan points out she is passive in the paint and not a good rebounder. The stats back up that opinion. Amari has played enough minutes in her career here that her rebounds per minute are a pretty good judge, and she rebounds at a pace that would be most like a 3 or SF, not a 5, C or 6-6 player.

I know players see traits that give them more hope, but rebounding is not one of them. She doesn't like banging in the post, and thus far has not been able to score effectively right around the hoop.

I see passing ability, but also the excessive turnovers that prevent that from being an asset. I see shot blocking ability, but once again with an excessive number of fouls to the point that she neutralizes that potential asset as well. One of the male practice players said she can really shoot, but that doesn't show up yet in the stats, and she will always be less efficient than she could have been because she doesn't power up for easy shots close to the basket.

Anyway Husky Nan is spot on regarding rebounding, passivity, drifting to the perimeter, and not being what the Huskies need, and may be correct as well that she might struggle doing things that don't come naturally for her.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I do think Amari has to be TOLD exactly what is expected of her and she might do it. She is not going to figure it out on her own. The one thing she is that no other player is on the team is 6'6 with really long arms. I don't know if she is a solution for anything but they have no one else even close to her length on the bench and eventually they will need a tall person to play minutes to win a game.

UCLA will give them a small taste of how well they can handle size and I hope the coaches are paying attention because other teams are way taller across the starting 5.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You know that Geno isn’t obligated to keep players on the team, right? Obviously she has value in his mind or he would have told her (subtly or not so) to go somewhere else. Geno recruits players who will be good TEAMMATES first and foremost.
I agree with you in part. Though I will say there are other top 20 coaches who make a religion of pushing bench players out the door. I feel that Geno has to be pushed to do it. Understand, I am not expressing anger or even disappointment about Amari and I don''t see her leaving. I disagree about recruitment priority. Number 1 has to be talent and number 2 is very good attitude, which includes being a good team mate.

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I do think Amari has to be TOLD exactly what is expected of her and she might do it. She is not going to figure it out on her own. The one thing she is that no other player is on the team is 6'6 with really long arms. I don't know if she is a solution for anything but they have no one else even close to her length on the bench and eventually they will need a tall person to play minutes to win a game.

UCLA will give them a small taste of how well they can handle size and I hope the coaches are paying attention because other teams are way taller across the starting 5.
How long have you been following UConn? You actually think that Auriemma, of all people, hasn't told DeBerry exactly what's expected of her? That probably happened around the 2nd week of practice her freshman year if not before. She knows EXACTLY what's expected. Being 6-5 with long arms doesn't mean anything if she plays 6-1. And that's her problem, she's not athletic or quick enough to play 6-1 inside and doesn't have the perimeter skills to play outside. You're deluding yourself if you think she does because the whole coaching staff including Dailey knows she doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom