Westbrook | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I agree. Also, playing internationally is not very conducive to improving your skill set and grow your game and the exposure would also be less than a UConn (or Oregon) so that is not a great option imho.

I agree with that as a general rule, yet it did work for DeShields under similar circumstances. Her game got better and her WNBA stock rose. Maybe any coach is a better choice than a certain former Tenn coach.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree with that as a general rule, yet it did work for DeShields under similar circumstances. Her game got better and her WNBA stock rose. Maybe any coach is a better choice than a certain former Tenn coach.

Good point. I do think the 2 cases are a bit different since DD strongest asset was a phenomenal athletisicm which could be appreciated and exhibited on an international stage. She also could concentrate on getting more consistency on her 3pt shot which I think she did

I think Westbrook is not that really that type of player. At her best, she should be a strong floor general with good play-making and decision skills along with an excellent shooting stroke from midrange and the 3. I think her TN experience set her back alot in this and I am not sure that she could build that part of her game internationally.

Reaction Score
By the way, what is the logistics of the transfer process eligibility time line

1) Declare Intent
2) Get waiver letter process started
3) If the waiver is not granted, cant Westbrook simply leave the process, not signe a NLI and go the international route as suggested. If so, what harm is it for the college to roll the dice?
Because it takes time to approve the waiver. A player just does not know if or when the waiver will be approved. As for going the international route, do you really think Westbrook could get significant salary based upon her career as of today?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because it takes time to approve the waiver. A player just does not know if or when the waiver will be approved. As for going the international route, do you really think Westbrook could get significant salary based upon her career as of today?

My post was an attempt to address the question brought up by another poster regarding why a college (UConn) would risk offering a spot if the transfer waiver might not be approved. I still think that irregardless of the time for the decision to be made, there is no risk for UConn. It is not like we would dissuade a better option (there is none for this year) and we are not lacking in spots

I was also not endorsing the International route. I have given multiple reasons to add to yours why I do not think that is a good option for Evina.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
By the way, what is the logistics of the transfer process eligibility time line

1) Declare Intent
2) Get waiver letter process started
3) If the waiver is not granted, cant Westbrook simply leave the process, not signe a NLI and go the international route as suggested. If so, what harm is it for the college to roll the dice?
Do transfers sign a NLI? I thought was only for incoming frosh.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your definition of routinely is, but mine would be > 50% of the time. UCONN was out rebounded 11 times or 29% of the time. Also of those 11 times, they won the game anyway 8 times by an average margin of 18 points.
Always amused by the defensiveness of some Board members. Perhaps I should have been more specific in referring to the big games such as against ND or Baylor. While some may be satisfied with our ability to be competitive against the top rebounding teams or All American bigs such as Baylor's Cox, I don't fall in this camp.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
so let me get this straight. it is entirely possible that Westbrook could transfer, be denied a waiver and have to sit out a year and then enter the WNBA draft? and thus never play another year in the NCAA..... Why on earth would any college take that chance.
Why doesn't she just play overseas this fall/winter and enter the WNBA draft next year?
Probably because it was already done. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Always amused by the defensiveness of some Board members. Perhaps I should have been more specific in referring to the big games such as against ND or Baylor. While some may be satisfied with our ability to be competitive against the top rebounding teams or All American bigs such as Baylor's Cox, I don't fall in this camp.
And I am bemused by fellow posters who use exaggerations, get called out on it and then further insert their foot in their typing fingers by being upset the team doesn’t win every game, outrebound every team and crush every all american. But No, you’re not behaving like a spoiled kid...oh wait, yes you are. :p

Reaction Score
And I am bemused by fellow posters who use exaggerations, get called out on it and then further insert their foot in their typing fingers by being upset the team doesn’t win every game, outrebound every team and crush every all american. But No, you’re not behaving like a spoiled kid...oh wait, yes you are. :p
Head bang

Reaction Score
Probably because it was already done. :)
sorry ... I don't understand do you have an example?

I know Lili Thompson sat out her senior year of eligibility, graduated and moved on to Notre Dame but ND at least got some playing time. In the scenario I drew, a player transfers, sits out their year and then declares for the draft never playing for the team she transferred to.

Reaction Score
Do transfers sign a NLI? I thought was only for incoming frosh.

No, they sign a financial agreement. The craziness of this is that the agreement is non-binding for the player but binding for the university. Football is now dealing with this where a grad transfer “commit” decommited & is going to Tulane; Edsall has stated that he not sure if he can use the aid on someone else because the player still could possibly decide to come to UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I know Lili Thompson sat out her senior year of eligibility, graduated and moved on to Notre Dame but ND at least got some playing time. In the scenario I drew, a player transfers, sits out their year and then declares for the draft never playing for the team she transferred to.

Westbrook may be talented but to do what was described would mean that her hopes of being a 1st round draft pick would be low. WNBA teams would have to base everything on her 2 years at Tenn. She's good but not that good, at least not yet.

But her situation does make it a crap shot for a team where she has to sit. If I were her I'd get to Notre Dame as fast as I could. ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields - although not eactly as you suggested but close enough.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm often amused by the hyperbole or even blatant incorrect information put out by some of the Board members. Yea, perhaps you should have been more accurate. Doesn't have to do with defensiveness, has to do with accuracy.

Shouldn't make it sound like UCONN was a terrible rebounding team, because they weren't.

And by the way, we out-rebounded ND in the first game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Damn, I thought I was the smartypants. :rolleyes::D

Reaction Score
Do we have a timeframe with Westbrook’s decision? I’m not getting much done at work!
UConn fans should have much to be excited about soon with respect to Evina. A very credible source from the Pacific Northwest has indicated that the announcement may come as early as Friday. Westbrook to UConn. Now.... time for the UConn administrative staff to get to work on drafting, editing, and refining that waiver request for Westbrook for the '19-'20 season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn fans should have much to be excited about soon with respect to Evina. A very credible source from the Pacific Northwest has indicated that the announcement may come as early as Friday. Westbrook to UConn. Now.... time for the UConn administrative staff to get to work on drafting, editing, and refining that waiver request for Westbrook for the '19-'20 season.
This is certainly good news for UCONN fans. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom