We're there | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're there

Reaction Score
UCONN is not the only team struggling this time of the season. SC just needed overtime to beat Ole Miss and tbh, they probably should have lost that game….there was a foul on OM’s last possession in regulation that was not called…SC escaped. Iowa just got curb stomped by 30 vs Maryland, and almost all of the other teams in the top 12 have struggled in games this late in the season Including Stanford and LSU. Stanford has lost their offense somewhere and cannot find it. It’s called parity and it is the norm now, there are more great female bb players coming out of HS now than ever before, and that talent is being spread around the country.

Something many have not discussed yet but which is a huge factor currently is that there are many many 5th and 6th year seniors on rosters around the country due to the Covid rule changes for eligibility. That is huge for programs once considered middling or one step below the elite. Any team can be beaten on any given night this season and it will likely be that way going forward due to parity. It is actually good for the sport of WBB overall however, as the game grows and attracts more fans and viewers.

Reaction Score
I applaud your optimism for this team as it provides hope and enthusiam for a much battle weary group of young women. Considering all of the injuries, long playing times, fatique, and a relentless schedule of teams that just want to beat UConn, the record stands for itself. Many coaches would be thrilled to have a win/loss record of the current UConn team and the players which are included. Just keep posting with this enthusiam. In addition, praise should go to the coaching staff as they battle through the current schedule.

UConn fans, are there for the team in good time and also bad. This has been a very difficult season and those that enjoy UConn womens basketball will continue to enjoy it no matter when the season ends and will wait with heightened anticipation when the next season begins.
I applaud YOU. Uconn FANs have been here "forever" and shall be to the bitter or pleasant end. However, understanding the problems or at least trying to, is a FAN's role. Critique's are part of the whole plan. WHY is a reasonable question. How too is reasonable. What can be done should be an expected question.
I have serious doubts Azzi with this much "time-off" will shake off the rust. Caroline, is a totally different Caroline than the one early this year. Concussion? I have my theory and my experiences don't give me a warm fuzzy. I do, however, have HOPE.
For 35 plus years, and many before with the Men, I followed UConn Basketball. Geno for most of those 35 plus has pulled "wins" out of "losses" in a fashion that until the buzzer went off against St. John, I believed he'd FIX it. Some things are beyond even Geno.
Win or Lose I shall be screaming at my TV until this teams last game of the year.

Reaction Score
I just do not see us winning the BET with 3 games in 3 days. CD just not there and AZZI will not be ready for BET in a helpful capacity if at all. This would give us 6 losses assuming we win the last two games, not a given. Last year we went into the end of the season on an upswing . This year we are going into the end losing 3 out 6 and dam lucky it was not 4 out of 6. Miracles are always possible but not probable. In the NCAA tourney even the first round teams will actually feel good that they can beat UConn. The only bright spot is we have 10-11 days rest from the BET to NCAA tourney.
Over the past 30 years Uconn has entered the "Big Dance" with less or equal expectations from FAN--yes even FAN can have reservations. Some call it "Realism". Bookies, in Las Vegas use Realism and hope for the enthusiastics to bring the "pot" higher, and they usually do. Sports is not a precise business. FACTORS, you name them, anything may be a factor.
So Believer and NaySayers both belong as Fans.and to have OPINIONS.

JBK

Reaction Score
We have 50+ pts sitting on the bench and are going to be a 1 or 2 seed. Wake up UConn fans who are frustrated, angry and pissed off. Take another look. We will be a 1 or 2 seed with over 50 pts sitting on the bench. IF IF IF Caroline and Azzi come back HEALTHY we can win it all. Stop the wining. This is one game. Right now we have to get healthy, rested mentally and physically and get Caroline and Azzi back. Think about this and I know your frustrated, angry, hurt and cant believe what happened. THE GOAL is to win the BET and NC. A healthy rested UConn team has the players to do that. Get a hold of yourselves and understand where we are. All we have to do is get heathy and we're fine. IMO many fans opinions UConn has overachieved. Think about it. OK lets relax we're in the NCAAs . Relax and wait
til were healthy and then it will be fun again.

Understand we are not scoring over 70 pts a game. We lack scouring. We have had a remarkable season but shooting for a NC we need scoring and you spell that Heathy Caroline Azzi and UConn
I agree. Azzi is the key. Caroline did not seem right before her concussion. That is not saying she cannot contribute, but her alone will not be enough to get to a final four

Reaction Score
Geno's such a sly dog...

Heh heh.

I'd think about resting Lou and Dorka as much as possible these last two games is I were him. Who cares if they win them or not.

Even the Big East tournament isn't really that important. IMO

The UCONN Huskies are my favorite to take it all. I think this year is the year.

You heard it here first (wink).

If you think about it they got everything you need. Just need some rest before the Big Dance.

Oh, yeah...Go Huskies!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's such a sly dog...

Heh heh.

I'd think about resting Lou and Dorka as much as possible these last two games is I were him. Who cares if they win them or not.

Even the Big East tournament isn't really that important. IMO

The UCONN Huskies are my favorite to take it all. I think this year is the year.

You heard it here first (wink).
Not only should Lou and Dorka get rest but so should Aaliyah and Nika. Since CDs return the only player to get any rest is Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Not only should Lou and Dorka get rest but so should Aaliyah and Nika. Since CDs return the only player to get any rest is Aubrey.
Yeah, let the subs get some experience.

Reaction Score
Thats his fault, not ours.

I was going to say, who gave us those expectations??? And delivered on them so many times?

Geno's a victim of his own success & so is the team. Better to have that problem than not though.

Reaction Score
I agree and the problem is when you trade CD for Aubrey you trade offense for arguable your best defender. When they had five players they had three very good defenders and Lou and Dorka that provided some offense. AE and Aubrey also had moments where they contributed in scoring so it worked.

Reaction Score
My expectations aren't that UCONN should win every game, but they should win the games where they are clearly the better team. What is frustrating is they have 5 on the floor and aren't getting it done and no adjustments from the bench. When your scorers aren't scoring then they need to be out of the game, if the effort is lacking then put in some players that will provide some effort.

I know it won't happen but I would love to see UCONN play the last two games with the two big reserves playing a quarter minimum each. They absolutely need to have AE rested before the tournament starts to have any chance'

Reaction Score
Do they ever use sports psychologists to get out of slumps? It just seems the whole team is in a slump (even Geno). Their shooting percent is way down. If we were shooting a better (normal) percent, then the defense would seem super and the turnovers, while frustrating, wouldn't matter as much.

Reaction Score
After the game last night I was upset like so many others... but I closed my computer and tried to put the game behind us all, including the Team. I am sure the Coaches will address the issues with the team... nothing I put on a BY post would help.

But then, my wife woke up at 2:45AM, in major pain from cancer in her abdomen. While waiting for her pain to subside, and her to fall back to sleep, I had time to read the post game comments on the BY. and...well, .... i just had to put this together...

It is amazing how fickle some fans (Not everyone) are with regard to this Team. All was rosey after we beat Villanova on the road over the weekend...but then came crashing down with this game. Obviously the Team had every intention to beat St. Johns ... BUT it didn't work out that way....largely due to the WELL above average shooting night St. Johns had. Yes, the Huskies did not play like we, OR THEY. wanted them to, and Nika and Lou told us that in the Post Game presser. The tone of so many posts just blew my mind... it's as if their loss somehow cost "fans" big time at the sports betting site or something else. . Let's break out the tar and feathers.

I realize this is a place for people to express their opinions, and I appreciate that. But the way some FANS disparage the Team... Coaches and Players included... gets down right ugly.

I have asked this before,... would you take the same tone and use the same language if your daughter or granddaughter were one of the players out there last night???

The season is far from over. The Team had a rough night...and St Johns played likely their best game of the season. This happens in sports...underdogs win sometimes... there are so many examples in history... I mean, even Mighty Casey struck out!!

The Husky band wagon will roll on to 2 more games to finish the regular season...then to Mohegan Sun for the BE Tournament...and then to the NCAA Tournament. I will still be on that wagon, pulling for this Team to go all the way. If there is no NC Trophy, I will thank them for a job well done, despite missing so many valuable pieces of the Team...and look forward to next season.

I still love UCONN Womens Basketball... and will cheer for them every game.

GO HUSKIES
I have said it many times to my teams: "You can learn more from a loss, than by 'accidentally' winning."

I am POSITIVE that that will be the case for lessons learned for a positive outcome in the nine games that matter: BET & NCAA tourneys!

Reaction Score
I don’t think we have the height to match up against Stanford’s or South Carolina’s bigs assuming we get that far in the tournament.
We just need to match up well in "Heart, Drive, (positive) Energy, and refusing to lose" and the rest will take care of itself....

Reaction Score
As we have seen, our standard of play varies a lot game to game. What is it going to take for the A-team to show up more often? The team has to overcome “mental fatigue” to play like they know how to. A few thoughts..
1. Alertness. Keep the pace of the game high. When the energy level is low, the team performs poorly.
2. Shot differential. Take more shots. Don’t wait for the perfect shot. Any shot is better than a turn over. More shots, even at a diminished make rate, result in more points.
3. Turn overs and second-chance opportunities. Pay more attention to possessions. Win the rebound battle. When the 5 is taking an outside shot, the 3 and the 4 should be rebounding. When they pack the paint, it is better to take an outside (also mid-range) shot than make a difficult pass and lose the ball Inside.
4. Defensive lapses. We do well on defense when we go man to man on the outside and switch. We need to do better helping down low.
5. Using the bench. Work on a few set plays for the bench players to get opportunities to score. In they least, they will draw some fouls.

Nothing profound in this list. The team can do this every game. Some of you may have better ideas. I remain optimistic we can do better than what we have been doing. How far we go will depend on the quality of our execution And our mindset.
Even more simply: "Win the play in front of you!" It does not matter whether it is on Offense or Defense....

If you "lose" the play in front of you, learn from it and win the next play. Keep in mind that you can learn from plays that you win. The more you learn, the more you win...

High Basketball IQ players learn from both plays won and plays lost, and go with what works and increase the speed of play [when it makes sense to force quick play...]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Optimism is great. Rose colored glasses on the other hand lead to disappointment.
I hope I'm wrong, but optimism doesn't equal reality.

Even if they go deeper in the tourneys, fatigue and a short bench will still be the main issues and those are hard to overcome.
Their margin for error this year is very small. The good news is they can play with most teams and they have shown they will show up in the big games.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we have the height to match up against Stanford’s or South Carolina’s bigs assuming we get that far in the tournament.
I think Stanford is the easiest match up for UCONN but I agree that SC is a difficult match up for them. If every team played their best I don't know who would beat SC this season. I think it will come down to a team that can shoot a lot of threes and make them. Kind of like Louisville the year they beat Baylor and Griner.

Reaction Score
We have 50+ pts sitting on the bench and are going to be a 1 or 2 seed. Wake up UConn fans who are frustrated, angry and pissed off. Take another look. We will be a 1 or 2 seed with over 50 pts sitting on the bench. IF IF IF Caroline and Azzi come back HEALTHY we can win it all. Stop the wining. This is one game. Right now we have to get healthy, rested mentally and physically and get Caroline and Azzi back. Think about this and I know your frustrated, angry, hurt and cant believe what happened. THE GOAL is to win the BET and NC. A healthy rested UConn team has the players to do that. Get a hold of yourselves and understand where we are. All we have to do is get heathy and we're fine. IMO many fans opinions UConn has overachieved. Think about it. OK lets relax we're in the NCAAs . Relax and wait
til were healthy and then it will be fun again.

Understand we are not scoring over 70 pts a game. We lack scouring. We have had a remarkable season but shooting for a NC we need scoring and you spell that Heathy Caroline Azzi and UConn
So true. The big picture will be fine.

JBK

Reaction Score
So true. The big picture will be fine.
Unfortunately- we have been spoiled at UConn. We had 50 points on the bench for most of the year and we were still running and winning. The competition has slowed us down and we have reacted very poorly. Losing 3 of the last 6 and losing 2 in row - a UConn 1st in 30 years.
Not boxing out
Not getting loose balls
20 plus turnovers -
Just fundamentally not UConn Basketball and frustrating to watch.
It is the same team that was performing at such a high level.
I am confident the goat will adjust our offense, use some bench players and cut down really bad passing and turnovers. With 9 players we can press a bit and get the tempo back in our favor
When you think you can’t ??

Reaction Score
I like that By'ers are voicing their frustrations. We are not dancing in the lilies of old, but I agree. This team has done great with what they have and no matter the end of season result whether NC, Final Four or out in the second round, UConn doesn't have anything to prove. The banners in Gampel aren't going anywhere and there will be more to come.

Reaction Score
After the Stanford loss yesterday things got interesting. The BigTen is so competitive, that tourney will decide some things where MD, Iowa and IU are concerned given Iowa gets one last shot today at IU before their conference tourney. If Md sweeps from here they are in the “talk” for a 1 seed. Same for UConn if they sweep from here and others stumble. LSU could challenge also if they sweep from here. Fun games ahead to watch before final seedings.

Reaction Score
Optimism is great. Rose colored glasses on the other hand lead to disappointment.
I hope I'm wrong, but optimism doesn't equal reality.

Even if they go deeper in the tourneys, fatigue and a short bench will still be the main issues and those are hard to overcome.
Agree with some using rose colored glasses to view one of the worst stretches of play in many years. My view of for the playoffs is mixed:
-If we keep the current predictable offensive system where the number one option is to throw it low to a doubled teamed Edwards or Dorka, I see us getting to the Elite 8 but unlikely to go further. Good for most teams but not for UConn and the talent on this team.
-If we make just a few offensive changes to mix things up (and reduce the turnovers), combined with Azzi coming back, the Final Four and possibly the Championship is possible. Defense is solid.

Bottom line, if the coaches continue with the current offensive system, I predict the team will win a few playoff games but underperform. The talent is there to do more.

Reaction Score
Agree with some using rose colored glasses to view one of the worst stretches of play in many years. My view of for the playoffs is mixed:
-If we keep the current predictable offensive system where the number one option is to throw it low to a doubled teamed Edwards or Dorka, I see us getting to the Elite 8 but unlikely to go further. Good for most teams but not for UConn and the talent on this team.
-If we make just a few offensive changes to mix things up (and reduce the turnovers), combined with Azzi coming back, the Final Four and possibly the Championship is possible. Defense is solid.

Bottom line, if the coaches continue with the current offensive system, I predict the team will win a few playoff games but underperform. The talent is there to do more.
The seedings and brackets will decide some things, but wherever UCONN ends up, nobody will want them in their bracket, especially if Azzi is back and ready to compete. The rest time between conference tournaments and NCAA tourney will be especially important to the Huskies this year. FF #15 in a row is still in play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom