We're there | The Boneyard

We're there

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have 50+ pts sitting on the bench and are going to be a 1 or 2 seed. Wake up UConn fans who are frustrated, angry and pissed off. Take another look. We will be a 1 or 2 seed with over 50 pts sitting on the bench. IF IF IF Caroline and Azzi come back HEALTHY we can win it all. Stop the wining. This is one game. Right now we have to get healthy, rested mentally and physically and get Caroline and Azzi back. Think about this and I know your frustrated, angry, hurt and cant believe what happened. THE GOAL is to win the BET and NC. A healthy rested UConn team has the players to do that. Get a hold of yourselves and understand where we are. All we have to do is get heathy and we're fine. IMO many fans opinions UConn has overachieved. Think about it. OK lets relax we're in the NCAAs . Relax and wait
til were healthy and then it will be fun again.

Understand we are not scoring over 70 pts a game. We lack scouring. We have had a remarkable season but shooting for a NC we need scoring and you spell that Heathy Caroline Azzi and UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have 50+ pts sitting on the bench and are going to be a 1 or 2 seed. Wake up UConn fans who are frustrated, angry and pissed off. Take another look. We will be a 1 or 2 seed with over 50 pts sitting on the bench. IF IF IF Caroline and Azzi come back HEALTHY we can win it all. Stop the wining. This is one game. Right now we have to get healthy, rested mentally and physically and get Caroline and Azzi back. Think about this and I know your frustrated, angry, hurt and cant believe what happened. THE GOAL is to win the BET and NC. A healthy rested UConn team has the players to do that. Get a hold of yourselves and understand where we are. All we have to do is get heathy and we're fine. IMO many fans opinions UConn has overachieved. Think about it. OK lets relax we're in the NCAAs . Relax and wait

Understand we are not scoring over 70 pts a game. We lack scouring. We have had a remarkable season but shooting for a NC we need scoring and you spell that Heathy Caroline Azzi and UConn

Reaction Score

The problems run deeper than simply scoring, and anyone outside an extreme fan(atic) should see them.

Reaction Score
After the game last night I was upset like so many others... but I closed my computer and tried to put the game behind us all, including the Team. I am sure the Coaches will address the issues with the team... nothing I put on a BY post would help.

But then, my wife woke up at 2:45AM, in major pain from cancer in her abdomen. While waiting for her pain to subside, and her to fall back to sleep, I had time to read the post game comments on the BY. and...well, .... i just had to put this together...

It is amazing how fickle some fans (Not everyone) are with regard to this Team. All was rosey after we beat Villanova on the road over the weekend...but then came crashing down with this game. Obviously the Team had every intention to beat St. Johns ... BUT it didn't work out that way....largely due to the WELL above average shooting night St. Johns had. Yes, the Huskies did not play like we, OR THEY. wanted them to, and Nika and Lou told us that in the Post Game presser. The tone of so many posts just blew my mind... it's as if their loss somehow cost "fans" big time at the sports betting site or something else. . Let's break out the tar and feathers.

I realize this is a place for people to express their opinions, and I appreciate that. But the way some FANS disparage the Team... Coaches and Players included... gets down right ugly.

I have asked this before,... would you take the same tone and use the same language if your daughter or granddaughter were one of the players out there last night???

The season is far from over. The Team had a rough night...and St Johns played likely their best game of the season. This happens in sports...underdogs win sometimes... there are so many examples in history... I mean, even Mighty Casey struck out!!

The Husky band wagon will roll on to 2 more games to finish the regular season...then to Mohegan Sun for the BE Tournament...and then to the NCAA Tournament. I will still be on that wagon, pulling for this Team to go all the way. If there is no NC Trophy, I will thank them for a job well done, despite missing so many valuable pieces of the Team...and look forward to next season.

I still love UCONN Womens Basketball... and will cheer for them every game.

GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score

I just do not see us winning the BET with 3 games in 3 days. CD just not there and AZZI will not be ready for BET in a helpful capacity if at all. This would give us 6 losses assuming we win the last two games, not a given. Last year we went into the end of the season on an upswing . This year we are going into the end losing 3 out 6 and dam lucky it was not 4 out of 6. Miracles are always possible but not probable. In the NCAA tourney even the first round teams will actually feel good that they can beat UConn. The only bright spot is we have 10-11 days rest from the BET to NCAA tourney.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After the game last night I was upset like so many others... but I closed my computer and tried to put the game behind us all, including the Team. I am sure the Coaches will address the issues with the team... nothing I put on a BY post would help.

But then, my wife woke up at 2:45AM, in major pain from cancer in her abdomen. While waiting for her pain to subside, and her to fall back to sleep, I had time to read the post game comments on the BY. and...well, .... i just had to put this together...

It is amazing how fickle some fans (Not everyone) are with regard to this Team. All was rosey after we beat Villanova on the road over the weekend...but then came crashing down with this game. Obviously the Team had every intention to beat St. Johns ... BUT it didn't work out that way....largely due to the WELL above average shooting night St. Johns had. Yes, the Huskies did not play like we, OR THEY. wanted them to, and Nika and Lou told us that in the Post Game presser. The tone of so many posts just blew my mind... it's as if their loss somehow cost "fans" big time at the sports betting site or something else. . Let's break out the tar and feathers.

I realize this is a place for people to express their opinions, and I appreciate that. But the way some FANS disparage the Team... Coaches and Players included... gets down right ugly.

I have asked this before,... would you take the same tone and use the same language if your daughter or granddaughter were one of the players out there last night???

The season is far from over. The Team had a rough night...and St Johns played likely their best game of the season. This happens in sports...underdogs win sometimes... there are so many examples in history... I mean, even Mighty Casey struck out!!

The Husky band wagon will roll on to 2 more games to finish the regular season...then to Mohegan Sun for the BE Tournament...and then to the NCAA Tournament. I will still be on that wagon, pulling for this Team to go all the way. If there is no NC Trophy, I will thank them for a job well done, despite missing so many valuable pieces of the Team...and look forward to next season.

GO HUSKIES
PA Husky prayers are headed your way for you and your wife. God Bless

Reaction Score
I applaud your optimism for this team as it provides hope and enthusiam for a much battle weary group of young women. Considering all of the injuries, long playing times, fatique, and a relentless schedule of teams that just want to beat UConn, the record stands for itself. Many coaches would be thrilled to have a win/loss record of the current UConn team and the players which are included. Just keep posting with this enthusiam. In addition, praise should go to the coaching staff as they battle through the current schedule.

UConn fans, are there for the team in good time and also bad. This has been a very difficult season and those that enjoy UConn womens basketball will continue to enjoy it no matter when the season ends and will wait with heightened anticipation when the next season begins.

Reaction Score

GO HUSKIES
Thank you so much for that post, I agree 100% they are my team no matter what. They are not perfect but then life isn't perfect. Some time people need to put things in the proper perspective which you have done, very well I might add. Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

GO HUSKIES
Nice post, and I hope your wife recovers from her illness soon.

Reaction Score

I don’t think we have the height to match up against Stanford’s or South Carolina’s bigs assuming we get that far in the tournament.

Reaction Score
As Geno says, we are the most spoiled fans on the face of the earth. We see the league championship as our birthright and the Final Four as our destiny. We need to be taken down from our high horse from time to time.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
OK let's keep drinking the cool aid, I am in a place I've never been in before with our Huskies. We are not playing like a 1, 2 or 3 seed right now, the play the games and the scores recently can't be overlooked. AE is once again playing like it's last year, the team is playing slow with many sloppy passes, hesitation and confusion. on defense.
IMO we can't make a run when we have only one player playing up to expectations in every game. Right now I can't lie to myself and say we are in a good place as a team. Can the team turn this trend around, I know they can. The question is, will they? I know this post will draw many negative thoughts from my fellow BY'ers, I don't like it either, but the game tapes, stats, and player faces tell an unfamiliar truth.

Reaction Score
Optimism is great. Rose colored glasses on the other hand lead to disappointment.
I hope I'm wrong, but optimism doesn't equal reality.

Even if they go deeper in the tourneys, fatigue and a short bench will still be the main issues and those are hard to overcome.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I live by this saying.... There are two kinds of people in the world Those who think they can and those who think they cant and you know what? Theyre both right.

We may not win the NC and thats ok so long as be believe we can. We need continue to think we can no matter what happens and thats the difference.

Reaction Score
As we have seen, our standard of play varies a lot game to game. What is it going to take for the A-team to show up more often? The team has to overcome “mental fatigue” to play like they know how to. A few thoughts..
1. Alertness. Keep the pace of the game high. When the energy level is low, the team performs poorly.
2. Shot differential. Take more shots. Don’t wait for the perfect shot. Any shot is better than a turn over. More shots, even at a diminished make rate, result in more points.
3. Turn overs and second-chance opportunities. Pay more attention to possessions. Win the rebound battle. When the 5 is taking an outside shot, the 3 and the 4 should be rebounding. When they pack the paint, it is better to take an outside (also mid-range) shot than make a difficult pass and lose the ball Inside.
4. Defensive lapses. We do well on defense when we go man to man on the outside and switch. We need to do better helping down low.
5. Using the bench. Work on a few set plays for the bench players to get opportunities to score. In they least, they will draw some fouls.

Nothing profound in this list. The team can do this every game. Some of you may have better ideas. I remain optimistic we can do better than what we have been doing. How far we go will depend on the quality of our execution And our mindset.

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score
As we have seen, our standard of play varies a lot game to game. What is it going to take for the A-team to show up more often? The team has to overcome “mental fatigue” to play like they know how to. A few thoughts..
1. Alertness. Keep the pace of the game high. When the energy level is low, the team performs poorly.
2. Shot differential. Take more shots. Don’t wait for the perfect shot. Any shot is better than a turn over. More shots, even at a diminished make rate, result in more points.
3. Turn overs and second-chance opportunities. Pay more attention to possessions. Win the rebound battle. When the 5 is taking an outside shot, the 3 and the 4 should be rebounding. When they pack the paint, it is better to take an outside (also mid-range) shot than make a difficult pass and lose the ball Inside.
4. Defensive lapses. We do well on defense when we go man to man on the outside and switch. We need to do better helping down low.
5. Using the bench. Work on a few set plays for the bench players to get opportunities to score. In they least, they will draw some fouls.

Nothing profound in this list. The team can do this every game. Some of you may have better ideas. I remain optimistic we can do better than what we have been doing. How far we go will depend on the quality of our execution And our mindset.
These are all valid and "fixable" areas

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
Most of us are UConn fans AND women's basketball fans both.

UConn is MY team - watched for 30 years and in person for a NC...

...however being a FAN means being able to fairly discuss pros/cons, ups & downs, kudos & criticisms.

Most of the time the BY is fun to learn from so many REALLY smart basketball folks who broaden my provincial knowledge of the game...

Reaction Score

...however being a FAN means being able to fairly discuss pros/cons, ups & downs, kudos & criticisms.

Most of the time the BY is fun to learn from so many REALLY smart basketball folks who broaden my provincial knowledge of the game...

Well stated and totally agree with you on your observation…… I have been following UConn womens bb since 1989 and I have attended many games especially 2010-2017 era when my daughters both attended UConn.

Reaction Score

Many feel free to express their opinions and you should too. As long as people are not insulting each other or the players/coaches/fans and the moderators are able to foster a healthy dialog, I am confident your opinions will be welcomed. This day and age the moderators also have to deal with trolls.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Every person in this world has their own individual personality. Some people are pessimistic, some are optimistic, and many can go either way depending on the subject at hand.
If every one had the same exact thoughts about all things, this would be a dull, and ho-hum world.
Fans of this UCONN team have varied opinions about each game, the coaches, and of course, the players. This is what makes this board so enjoyable.....YOU get to hear a VARIETY of opinions!
The bottom line is that whatever each and every fan thinks and says shows their feelings ; it does NOT make them less of a fan. They are just expressing their feelings, at that moment, about the topic at hand.

Reaction Score

I'm tired of writings about wait till Azzi gets back from injury. She's not coming back and even if she does, she is not going to come to our rescue. It's too late now.

Reaction Score

Azzi coming back is the big question mark isn't it.

Reaction Score

GO HUSKIES
Prayers and good thoughts for you and your wife.

Reaction Score

I'm 71, grew up in West Haven. Been a husky fan my whole life. I won't ever stop believing.

Reaction Score
Every person in this world has their own individual personality. Some people are pessimistic, some are optimistic, and many can go either way depending on the subject at hand.
If every one had the same exact thoughts about all things, this would be a dull, and ho-hum world.
Fans of this UCONN team have varied opinions about each game, the coaches, and of course, the players. This is what makes this board so enjoyable.....YOU get to hear a VARIETY of opinions!
The bottom line is that whatever each and every fan thinks and says shows their feelings ; it does NOT make them less of a fan. They are just expressing their feelings, at that moment, about the topic at hand.
@Monte I agree with you and as I said in post #4 in this thread, I fully understand that this is a place for people to express their opinions. My point in that post (#4 above) is that too often the posts take a turn to demeaning, blaming and ugly comments. The Coaches and Players are doing everything they can to win every game they play. They don't want to let anyone down; the coaches, the players, the College... and even the BY. BUT, sometimes it happens. Sometimes things just don't work and the underdog wins. It happens at all level of sport. And, In my opinion... and it's my opinion... is that too often SOME people post things that are just ugly and nasty...things they would never say to the Coaches or Players face to face... and that they would never say to their own Daughters or Grand Daughters if they were on the Team. Constructive comments are great... but those that say players are not trying or coaches are not coaching right, or recruiting right or other such extremely negative things does nothing to help anyone. Who among us would walk up to Geno and tell him his coaching is wrong or outdated??? but behind the veil of an internet (or BY) user/screen name they have no problem letting it all fly. I know we have former coaches and players on the BY...but how many have coached or played at the level? How many have truly walked a mile in their shoes?? IF someone wants to get a message to Geno on his coaching practices...write him a personal letter...and send it to him. I'm sure he will appreciate (or at least enjoy) the input.

The Team are College Students... NOT Professional Basketball Players. Yes, they get a scholarship to play, but that is NOT the same and they are fallible.... and every loss hurts them way more than it hurts us. We can hope they learn from them and make necessary adjustments.

IF, as others have said, the Coaches and Players actually read the BY... I believe they would prefer constructive comments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom