Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get.... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get....

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"If Don Brown were the mastermind he's purported to be here why the hell was he working for a doomed administration here and was only saved by Boston College"

- Whaler11

"I know that you love Don Brown, but your worship of him doesn't make any sense whatsoever..."

- Whaler11

You aren't real good with the reading are you? That say he's not a lot better than Hughes?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Didn't see a whole lot of blitzes in that or any other game

Actually, it might have been Metsfan that outlined every one of his blitzes in the past (or maybe it was Medic). Anyhoo, he (Hughes) responded to the criticism of the USF game by blitzing more in the Cincy game. The first two touchdowns that Cincy scored were directly on blitzes, as were a bunch of the big gainers that they hit in the first two quarters...

Reaction Score
We've been down this road for SS. Compare the stats.

Wirth through first 7 games last year - 12 solo tackles, 31 asst tackles, total tackles 33, 5.5 TFL and .5 sacks
Stephens through first 7 games this year - 14 solo tackes, 31 asst tackles, total tackles 34, 5 TFL and 1 sack.

I'm not taking a swipe @ Wirth by any mean. He was an under recognized player last year and had a great remaining season picking up 2 more sacks and 4.5 TFL. I just think that Stephens is more than holding his own in a comparison.

Only one stat matters Doc: 0-7

Reaction Score
[quote="UConnDan97, post: 736669, member: 2305"he (Hughes) responded to the criticism of the USF game by blitzing more in the Cincy game. The first two touchdowns that Cincy scored were directly on blitzes[/quote}

Watch the first two TDs and tell me which players were 'blitzing' on the big gainer that set up the first TD (3 LBS biting big on the run fake doesn't count) and on the second TD.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1124772/size/condensed/

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So how do explain the disaster that is our defense then? You don't actually think we have a good defense do you? Our defense got ripped a new one by Buffalo and Towson among others.

I see two choices, either our talent stinks or the coaching stinks. Where do you stand?
Honestly, what is so hard to understand that the answer can be "both"?

As for the "cupboard was bare" when Edsall left - at QB, it was undeniable. Probably WR and OL too. That doesn't mean that there wasn't good talent elsewhere.

Then you add in crappy coaching (P, GDL)- and you start flirting with disaster.

Then you lose what talent you do have on D, along with a solid DC... continued awful coaching of the OL... and you have an unequivical disaster. Weist and the guys are doing the best they can to fix it but there's a lot to fix.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was the Big East.. 99% of the teams went into season with questions at multiple positions. Oh you only left a half dozen NFL players on defense and a handful on offense - bare cupboard!

Reaction Score
If we go 0-11 into the Memphis game, might want to start Whitmer for that game.

Reaction Score
It was the Big East.. 99% of the teams went into season with questions at multiple positions. Oh you only left a half dozen NFL players on defense and a handful on offense - bare cupboard!

Cupboard was definitely bare on offense in 2011. Ryan Griffin and .... who else? Handful of NFL players on offense? I'm with you on defense: that was one of the best defenses in the country. But offense: Ryan and nothing else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cupboard was definitely bare on offense in 2011. Ryan Griffin and .... who else? Handful of NFL players on offense? I'm with you on defense: that was one of the best defenses in the country. But offense: Ryan and nothing else.

Wasn't Moore still at receiver? How many yards did Lyle run for in 2011 with no passing game? There must have been something on the offensive line...

They chased off Frey. They still had Nick Williams.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
[quote="UConnDan97, post: 736669, member: 2305"he (Hughes) responded to the criticism of the USF game by blitzing more in the Cincy game. The first two touchdowns that Cincy scored were directly on blitzes[/quote}

Watch the first two TDs and tell me which players were 'blitzing' on the big gainer that set up the first TD (3 LBS biting big on the run fake doesn't count) and on the second TD.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1124772/size/condensed/

Are you serious? Just watched the first touchdown again (the one-handed grab by Cincy), and we sent TWO linebackers on a blitz, not just one! Here we go again. I'm too old for this. You all can continue to fight about nonsense until the end of time, for all I care...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wasn't Moore still at receiver? How many yards did Lyle run for in 2011 with no passing game? There must have been something on the offensive line...

They chased off Frey. They still had Nick Williams.

There was quite a bit on the offensive line, a decent set of WR's. two quality TE's and enough talent at RB to have a decent running game. A better approach to what we should have been doing would have given us wins against Iowa St & Vandy and at worst a splitting the games against WMU, Pitt, Louisville & Cincy.

Reaction Score
There was quite a bit on the offensive line, a decent set of WR's. two quality TE's and enough talent at RB to have a decent running game. A better approach to what we should have been doing would have given us wins against Iowa St & Vandy and at worst a splitting the games against WMU, Pitt, Louisville & Cincy.

Foley was still O-line coach which helped that years running game. If we could catch passes we could have beat Louisville that year.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Just watched the first touchdown again (the one-handed grab by Cincy), and we sent TWO linebackers on a blitz, not just one! Here we go again. I'm too old for this. You all can continue to fight about nonsense until the end of time, for all I care...

OK, my bad on the first TD. On the short 8-yard TD pass there is unquestionably a blitz. There is definitely NOT one on the 56-yard gain that preceded it. That is the play I thought was being used as an example of "we can't blitz because we can't get to the QB and our DBs suck anyway"

Below is a screen grab from the second Cincy TD. No blitz there as claimed. Good fake of end-around freezes the LBs. The black line is the line of scrimmage. Apologies for crude use of brush function in paint.

Bottom line: HH hasn't used the blitz enough to prove the "Blitz + man-to-man coverage with current DB's = UConn vs. Cincinnati, 2013" true.

noblitz_zpsf4ff584c.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah. I was only responding to what I thought (maybe misread) what Whaler was saying. I thought he said we had a "handful" of NFL talent on the offensive side of the ball that year, and I was of the opinion that the only NFL talent was Ryan. Nick Williams I forgot about. Could use him about now.

Reaction Score
Actually, it might have been Metsfan that outlined every one of his blitzes in the past (or maybe it was Medic). Anyhoo, he (Hughes) responded to the criticism of the USF game by blitzing more in the Cincy game. The first two touchdowns that Cincy scored were directly on blitzes, as were a bunch of the big gainers that they hit in the first two quarters...

We blitzed 8 times in the Cincy game and gave up a total of 10 yards on those blitzes, we gave up over 500 yards when we did not blitz on 50 something plays. The first TD was on a blitz, but that was the perfectly thrown ball with the one handed catch by a guy who was blanketed by Jones, it was not bad defense on that play.

There were no big gainers on blitzes in the Cincy game....10 yards total. I posted this info the day after the game. Callahan backed this up in his analysis of the game when he mentioned he didn't understand why we didn't blitz more.

Reaction Score
We blitzed 8 times in the Cincy game and gave up a total of 10 yards on those blitzes, we gave up over 500 yards when we did not blitz. The first TD was on a blitz, but that was the perfectly thrown ball with the one handed catch by a guy who was blanketed by Jones, it was not bad defense on that play.

There were no big gainers on blitzes in the Cincy game....10 yards total. I posted this info the day after the game. Callahan backed this up in his analysis of the game when he mentioned he didn't understand why we didn't blitz more.

Blitz Bridgewater like crazy next Friday. Hopefully he'll have bad flashbacks from last year. What the hell do we have to lose at this stage?

Reaction Score
Honestly, what is so hard to understand that the answer can be "both"?

As for the "cupboard was bare" when Edsall left - at QB, it was undeniable. Probably WR and OL too. That doesn't mean that there wasn't good talent elsewhere.

Then you add in crappy coaching (P, GDL)- and you start flirting with disaster.

Then you lose what talent you do have on D, along with a solid DC... continued awful coaching of the OL... and you have an unequivical disaster. Weist and the guys are doing the best they can to fix it but there's a lot to fix.

So why do people hammer Dez when he says Edsall left the cupboard bare, but now those same people are now coming to the conclusion that we have a lack of talent on this team?

Is the consensus now that Dez was right? It's OK to say he was, Silver said the cupboard was bare too. I don't feel that way, I think our coaching is terrible, but I see so many people in here writing about the huge drop off in talent, those people should just say Dez was right because most of the P recruits are either redshirt freshman or true freshman, everyone else is an Edsall guy.

A lot of people owe Dez an apology. Don't hammer him for expressing an opinion you agree with.

My argument is the coaching is so bad it has driven the talent into the ground, nobody is being coached up. It was not so noticeable the previous two years because Don Brown was actually a good coach that landed in P's lap. But God forbid I say nice things about Brown, that causes problems for some people, even though he elevates defensive performance everywhere he goes, not just here.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
By pinning all our woes on "the cupboard was bare", Dez ran in to two problems : one, we clearly had talent on defense. If he had said the cupboard was bare in key offensive areas... Maybe there would have been less to disagree with him on. And I think his stance evolved towards that. Two- it was used as a crutch to avoid acknowledging that the coaching was awful.

Reaction Score
There are a number of people who don't want to admit that or do so reluctantly. I have no idea why because it is so obvious.

You've created a strawman that would make Nelson proud.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that the coaching stinks AND we lost a ton of talent on defense.

Where we differ is that you think Don Brown is the primary reason for the drop off. I have him at #7.

Reaction Score
You've created a strawman that would make Nelson proud.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that the coaching stinks AND we lost a ton of talent on defense.

Where we differ is that you think Don Brown is the primary reason for the drop off. I have him at #7.

Yes the 6 players we lost together as a group are a more significant loss than Brown, but taken individually Brown would be # 1.

Give me any 5 of the 6 players plus Brown and I will beat your 6 players combined with Hank Hughes' defense and leadership.

That's what I mean when I say Brown is the biggest loss from last year. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

C

Chief00

Now that Foley is back as OL coach we need to have more trust in establishing a running game. TJ doesn't seem to want to do that or have that trust.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think that TJ doesn't see the run as anything more than an occasional distraction to make it easier to continue passing. While Touchdown Husky may see this as the best way to run a program, with what we have we cannot abandon the running game as quickly and easily as we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom