Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Well, it's a full fledged disaster and it's only going to get....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He also delivered blows (and stiff-arms) to anyone that tried to tackle him. If your argument is that DB = LM so be it. But it isn't a winning one. LM is a good back. But based on what came before him, he is a step down when we couldn't afford it considering that the rest of the team also took a step back. DB and others have carried the team on their backs. LM can't. I'm not blaming him for that. But the argument that he would have done the same as DB or others if only he had the same lines to run behind doesn't feel true to me. Can't prove it either way, but that's where I come out.

I don't disagree with what you wrote. Donald Brown is the better back in my opinion as well. But Donald Brown is playing on Sundays right now. It's okay to be thought of as less than Donald Brown.

But let's also recognize that it's not just the OLine that's different now (we had a couple back then who made it to Sundays as well ([Will Beatty at the Giants, Mike Ryan made a short stint at the Bengals, IIRC]). It's also the fact that we don't have a fullback (hell, we don't even use a fullback anymore!). Those guys were running behind the Shermanator (who is also playing on Sundays). Before that, they were running behind Deon Anderson (yet another guy who was playing on Sundays, and is now apparently winning MMA championships....who knew?).

So there was a lot more in place for those RBs than there are for any of the RBs in our stable today, and therefore it's not even fair to compare the sets of running backs from now and then...

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with what you wrote. Donald Brown is the better back in my opinion as well. But Donald Brown is playing on Sundays right now. It's okay to be thought of as less than Donald Brown.

But let's also recognize that it's not just the OLine that's different now (we had a couple back then who made it to Sundays as well ([Will Beatty at the Giants, Mike Ryan made a short stint at the Bengals, IIRC]). It's also the fact that we don't have a fullback (hell, we don't even use a fullback anymore!). Those guys were running behind the Shermanator (who is also playing on Sundays). Before that, they were running behind Deon Anderson (yet another guy who was playing on Sundays, and is now apparently winning MMA championships....who knew?).

So there was a lot more in place for those RBs than there are for any of the RBs in our stable today, and therefore it's not even fair to compare the sets of running backs from now and then...
This is really what I meant. I'm not suggesting that McCombs = Brown, but only that he would be far more productive running behind those earlier offensive lines than the Swiss cheese he has had to contend with.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If your argument is that DB = LM so be it. But it isn't a winning one.

Was it that obvious that was my argument? Because I didn't say anything remotely close to that.

I can live with LM getting caught from behind on 50+ yard runs. If he got better blocking, we would have that problem more often.

And I'm willing to live with it. And him showing emotion on those runs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think many of you are weak-minded. The Sun will come out tomorrow ... ('bet your bottom dollar ..")

I'm surprised that you didn't steal from Les Miserables.

Reaction Score
You guys are thinking catastrophically. I see this season as a really, really bad round of golf. Just because you shoot 10 over what you normally score doesn't mean you will have to spend the next 5 rounds getting back to where you were.

This team had terrible Coaching and Leadership. From day one PGDL didn't have this team ready to play ball.
He spent the last 2 years eeking out 5 wins with the talent Edsall left for him, usually with opportunistic offense and strong defense.

We lost the DC that was making the defense more than was on paper. We got away from our running attack that always gave us a fighting chance.

With more effective leadership restoring a sense of purpose, direction and motivation I think that this program can make great strides in a short period of time. We have two young QBs getting invaluable game experience and a host of other players could be stronger, better and more competitive if they learn from this experience.
Zoo, incredibly uplifting thoughts. Nice to read. Thanks.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Carl is too forceful, and calling out one player in particular is too much for me, but he is not wrong, when he points out that players who allegedly high fiving each other when P, was canned are playing far worse now that he is gone. I'm speaking in general terms as I don't know which players were celebrating the firing. This team needs a new coach to come in and lead and change the culture that has sunk in the last three years.

You are making it appear as if the entire team took a victory dance when the firing was announced. One UConn student tweeted that the football players in his math class (I'm guessing that there were two, three at the most in that class) high fived.

As far as playing worse, There is no discernable difference, outside of run blocking, with how we played at home with P in charge (and a full set of assistants) compared to how we've played at home with JT in charge. The same can be said for how each has performed on the road. The biggest difference I see (with a team that for whatever reasons clearly appears lost in road games) is that this season to date P coached only one road game while TJ has only coached one home game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bellamy was an effective back at UConn, and it is possible that I had a top speed better than his. A smart back that gets good blocking and knows how to read it can be effective.

Reaction Score
You are making it appear as if the entire team took a victory dance when the firing was announced. One UConn student tweeted that the football players in his math class (I'm guessing that there were two, three at the most in that class) high fived.

As far as playing worse, There is no discernable difference, outside of run blocking, with how we played at home with P in charge (and a full set of assistants) compared to how we've played at home with JT in charge. The same can be said for how each has performed on the road. The biggest difference I see (with a team that for whatever reasons clearly appears lost in road games) is that this season to date P coached only one road game while TJ has only coached one home game.

You may be right about the home/road split, but the defense is playing lights out worse. Its not even debatable IMO. WRs open everywhere. But regardless, there was confusion before and after the move. The last two games were over as soon as the other team got the ball. We haven't had a chance on defense it seems.

I'm done with all this, just want to see who they bring in. P and GDL are rearview mirror. This team is playing out the string of a terrible season. I"m sure they feel terrible, but I do worry that the worst thing P left is a feeling that its "okay, we will get em next time". Football is too short a season/too few games. I'm actually optimistic about this hire because I believe Warde knows football in ways the previous guy did not.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You may be right about the home/road split, but the defense is playing lights out worse. Its not even debatable IMO. WRs open everywhere. But regardless, there was confusion before and after the move. The last two games were over as soon as the other team got the ball. We haven't had a chance on defense it seems.

I'm done with all this, just want to see who they bring in. P and GDL are rearview mirror. This team is playing out the string of a terrible season. I"m sure they feel terrible, but I do worry that the worst thing P left is a feeling that its "okay, we will get em next time". Football is too short a season/too few games. I'm actually optimistic about this hire because I believe Warde knows football in ways the previous guy did not.
How did we do defensively in Buffalo? How does Buffalo's offense stack up against Cincinnati and UCF? I could argue that our best defensive effort of the year was against USF.

I don't believe that we've seen enough of a sample to claim that anything is worse now than it was under P and the only thing that has changed is our run blocking which has improved significantly. My argument is that shy of run blocking, things are as they were with the exception of two fewer assistants which in and of itself I believe played a tremendous role in the failure of our final drive against USF.

I don't know why this team is as lost as it is on the road. I've never seen anything this severe in my life (and I have followed football quite seriously since the late 1960's) but I have a strong suspicion that our defensive effort against Louisville will more resemble our games against Michigan, Maryland and USF than our road game efforts. FWIW the biggest reason Michigan didn't have the success in the air against us that Cincinnati and UCF did was because for whatever reasons (he has improved, see Indiana) their QB could not hit their receivers. There were plenty of open targets who the QB missed by a few feet to a few yards that game.

Reaction Score
The DBs also had their best game against UM. The play Byron Jones made on the INT was a great play. In large part because he was in position to make a play. I'll agree to disagree. When we have tried to play zone, there have been wide open guys every where. Against UCF we had to guys in the flat and WR snuck in behind them in the endzone for as easy a td pitch and catch as you can see. Simplify this thing and go man. Are you going to expose yourself and be vulnerable to certain plays? Yeah, but were already getting blown out. At the very least that should eliminate some of the tentativeness you see out there. kids just look unsure of their assignments.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If effort, emotion and passion aren't part of the issue than why was the best game they played all year against Michigan at home?

Michigan isn't all that spectacular but this is a team that lost to USF....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also, there is bad and there is a game like UCF that was clearly over 5 minutes into it. By the end of the first quarter it was a name your score situation...

These same horrendous coached did manage 5 wins each of the last two years... How is it all coaching and a free pass for players?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As far as the original premise. What LM did is hardly a big deal, TJ dealt with it well. It's probably shouldn't register in the top 100 things to be upset about.

Reaction Score
These same horrendous coached did manage 5 wins each of the last two years... How is it all coaching and a free pass for players?

The difference between this year and 2011, 2012 is Don Brown. Our once proud defense has completely collapsed.

Reaction Score
You like many other posters think it's as easy as, "just suck it up" and play. Maybe 1% of the people on this board have a clue on what it's like to go through what these players have gone through in the past 2.5 years.

You and everyone else can bloviate until the cows come home. You're just another know it all internet poster that people "in the know", i.e., coaches, players and scouts laugh at on a daily basis.

People post like they have a clue. They don't. Not one iota of a clue. "Man up"....Don't quit on the team"....Play hard all the time"

I doubt there are more than 3 people on this board who could put in the effort these players put in 12 months out of the year.

Takes real men to bash them to death after the bull they've been through.

Really easy from the bleachers ain't it guys?

By the way...all you smart guys who thought Smallwood's stock has dropped this year? He's a semi finalist for the Butkus award. Top 12 in the country.

Boy, are you sadly mistaken. I played 14 years of football from a tike through college. Many here have played the game I am ceratin. That makes many of us brothers. If you played the game even for a few years you understand it for what it is - a mental battle. In fact, I can directly relate to almost every kind of hit those guys experience. You name it I can remember it, being flipped, being blind side hit, being speared, being hit so hard you actually see colors and hear a buzz, falling on your head, geting rolled up on, etc, etc.... When its cold and freezing rain its a battle, when its sweltering hot its a battle, when your fingers are crushed and thrombing its a battle, when you get a stinger or your shoulder seperates it a battle, when you get your clock cleaned its a battle. Those who have never played think its physical. Wrong. Its physical intensity brought out by mental will power coupled with the ability to execute. Dont think for a minute that the game is not won or lost man to man, play to play, hit to hit. The game is about mental dominence of your opponent through physical battle. I can assure you based on your commentary, among the two of us you know nothing. I have great respect for those who fight like annimals and are overmatched. They are warriors. I have little respect for those who have the ability but have conceded defeat on the field.

At my riping old age, I proudly wake with a knee that aches every day, a left shoulder that locks up and I cannot lift over my head, and a fractured 5th vertbrae that causes me pain when I sleep. I would not trade a single day of physical aches and pains for my time playing the game. There is hardly anything greater or more accutaely defning in the character of young men, except actual warfare. I think i have earned the right to levy my assessment, and I know many others here have as well.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Please don't tell me we have another Spackler.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The difference between this year and 2011, 2012 is Don Brown. Our once proud defense has completely collapsed.

The difference is the players who were here in 2011 and 2012. Do people not get how good Gratz, Moore, BBW and Williams were last year. This talk is insanity.

If Don Brown were the mastermind he's purported to be here why the hell was he working for a doomed administration here and was only saved by Boston College.

Reaction Score
Boy, are you sadly mistaken. I played 14 years of football from a tike through college.
Please tell me that you didn't play college football with Kevin Nathan?

Reaction Score
The difference is the players who were here in 2011 and 2012. Do people no get how good Gratz, Moore, BBW and Williams were last year. This talk is insanity.

No, they don't, and Jory was no slouch either. In fact, many on this board stated the defense would be as good or BETTER than last season. Our play at LB this season is about a million miles away from last season. Stewart and Donahue have a long way to go before they get mentioned with the Sio's of this world, although I will say that Vann and Ashiru are coming along.

Reaction Score
I don't actually remember anyone saying the D would be as good or better. I and several others thought it would be pretty solid,certainly better than it has been. But I never said or implied as good or better.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous.

Our current guys are NOT less talented than the previous generations. (2003-2011) They might even be MORE talented coming out of HS in basic measureables. We had coaches that failed to coach them up as we saw with HCRE. The Gratz, Branch, Butler, Wreh Wilson; Wilson, Fincher, Moore, Trevardo; etc etc ... stuff hasn't borne fruit like it used to. The OLine kids are Seniors ... and they haven't developed. They are, frankly, confused. We can get this back with some solid Program building COACH. But, I don't thing whining is doing us much good. I don't believe we will be 0-12. I think Temple, SMU and Memphis are still on the schedule.

Reaction Score
I fin dmyself agreeing with Pudge yet again, which scares me and ought ot scare him, too. I don't think this is one of those tear down and rebuild situations where we need to expect to go 1-11 for a few years. With the right coach we should be able to turn this around reasonably quickly...the level of confusion this team has shown is almost beyond comprehension...and that to me goes back to coaching. I said for a while that Pasqualoni and DeLeone didn't approach this as a coach guys up project. They assumed a level of talent and polish and tried/ assumed they could recruit at that level. It clearly didn't work and we're seeing the results. I also think we'll win a game or 2, though I do wish the 3 Pudge lists were all at home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't actually remember anyone saying the D would be as good or better. I and several others thought it would be pretty solid,certainly better than it has been. But I never said or implied as good or better.

Go back to the threads they did even as it was pointed out that you can't possibly be as good after losing those guys.

Reaction Score

It was absolutely stated by any number of posters. Look, it hardly matters, but folks gravitate to false hopes, like TJ was going to magically solve the coaching issues.

We'll get back, but it is going to be a haul and the rest of this season could end up beingn really shi**y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom